woodlands for sale?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2005
london
I've been looking for a while to buy a woodland. I'm cruising all the obvious sites (not woodlandsforsale - rip off) I've been looking for about 2years now for the right spot! All things come to those who wait proactively. Anyone know of any woodlands for sale near them? I'm looking for about 10-20 hectares, atleast 50% hardwood, not waterlogged. Getting a place that feels right is more important than location.

cheers adrian

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ive been looking as well Aid, i havent found anything decent yet there is one on WFS but im not paying thier rip off prices, if you find one with an ajoining woodland give me a shout and ill buy it :wink: i fancy a mixed broad leaf woodland with either a hazel or sweetchestnut coppice. Im usually a want it now person but its out there someware and it will probably find me rather then me it, if you know what i mean :wink:

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Remember there is the leasehold option rather than freehold, that might cut the prices down a bit. At my current level of income I think the only route available to me would be either renting or taking over a lease with a few years to run, something not many other people are willing to do.

Best advice I can give anyone is to find out who the agents are that deal in woodland and request they keep you updated if anything you might be interested in comes up. Check out the farming magazines and try to get to some places where landowners drink.

Hasn't worked for me YET but I can wait a bit longer.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Some of us chatted about this at Ashdown. What about a group purchase? Individually, we probably won't be able to afford more than a few acres, but collectively we might manage to secure a useful tract of land. The legal side would need a bit of nouse, but the benefit probably warrants the effort.

Please post the urls of any websites offering reasonable prices for land.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
zambezi said:
Some of us chatted about this at Ashdown. What about a group purchase?

Group purchase, possibly through a charitable trust "The Bushcraft Trust?", anyone, would probably be the best bet. Charitable status based on educational use, perhaps. A number of living history projects use a similar approach.

There'd have to be some sort of contractual framework for people selling their share to others/remaining members, too, I guess.

I'd be keen, but we might need to choose location(s) carefully to maximise its availability to members...

...and bite the bullet to deal with the red-tape, too.

Jim.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
JimH said:
I'd be keen, but we might need to choose location(s) carefully to maximise its availability to members...

Jim.

Jim, do you have any sites in prospect? Are there other interested parties in the forum?

Vince

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I'd love to help out but my income simply won't allow it :roll:
However you guys might like to implement a membership system - a small annual fee might be just the ticket for the general work to be done on a wood, and could mean you could restrict access to people (perhaps open it only to people on BCUK, or who are known by you) who will use it responsibly etc. Just an idea, I realise you are still only idea-ing yourselves :biggthump

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
zambezi said:
Jim, do you have any sites in prospect? Are there other interested parties in the forum?

Vince

Same boat as you guys, seen stuff on the web, but seen the price, too. Don't have the capital for a huge investment myself without a second mortgage.

My sole advantage is that my dear old dad is a former banker with a fair bit of experience in advising on agricultural land (purchasing of) and a sound knowledge of property law/finance.

He also has experience of joint purchasing contracts (eg he and a couple of mates created a ltd. company to own a joint property in France.

If we were to get serious about it, he might be able to assist. I've no specific expertise in these areas myself, but am keen to see if people are up for it.

In short, I'm offering a couple of grand and my dad (without asking him!) :shock:

Chat at Ashdown if yer going...

Jim.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Jim, Tina and I cannot make the Ashdown at Easter but hope to be at the May meeting. See if there are any other interested parties at Ashdown, and hopefully we can muster enough interest by May to make serious forest hunting worth a punt.

I am guessing that 15 of us at £2k a pop should be able to bag a reasonable piece of land. Preferably a parcel nestled in similar surroundings giving the sense of a larger piece of land.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm interested, but I'm the other end of the country from you; a series of *stepstones* through the UK would be good though :)

Toddy

Feb 17, 2005
london
Ok, sounds like a few people out there with the same desire.
My experience with group ventures like this is that there needs to be
natural growth in the relationships, direction, and legalities and it's a long
process. But potencially a very interesting one. Maybe lots of you guys already
know each other but if not (the case with me) I advise lots of hanging out in the woods
together with no agenda but to see if you all get along. Hope to see some of you at the wilderness gathering. I'll be there woffling on about green woodworking.
Here's some of the sites I regularly cruise to look for woodlands.
adrianl

http://www.tilhill.co.uk/2forestry/7ukp/UKpropertylist.htm
http://www.stags.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.thesmallholdingcentre.co.uk/shcproperty.htm
http://www.farmsearch.co.uk/FPSearch.asp
http://www.farminguk.co.uk/
http://www.kivells.co.uk/search/
http://www.kivells.co.uk/property/gosearch.asp
http://www.woodlands.co.uk/
http://www.johnclegg.co.uk/index.cgi
http://www.fimltd.co.uk/wood_sale.htm
http://www.woodlandstewardship.com/UKSales.htm
http://www.woodlandfinders.com/mainmenu.htm

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Our family has decided to buy a woodland and put it into a family trust. There has been alot of discussion about the make-up of the potential site. My feeling is that there are three main must-have factors:
1) Soil. Since you can't really change the nature of the soil this can be quite determining
2) tree make-up. I am going for a large proportion of mature native decidious. Otherwise you may have to wait a century or so to get a decent habitat.
3) Water. A natural supply seems a must have.

What do people think? My mother (A prime mover in the trust idea) wants bluebells, but I've convinced her that they can always be transplanted to a site. My cousin wants a pond/lake, but I've made the point that you can always sink a pond/ lake in. Can anyone think of anything else that they would say is a must have?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Marts said:
Our family has decided to buy a woodland and put it into a family trust. There has been alot of discussion about the make-up of the potential site. My feeling is that there are three main must-have factors:
1) Soil. Since you can't really change the nature of the soil this can be quite determining
2) tree make-up. I am going for a large proportion of mature native decidious. Otherwise you may have to wait a century or so to get a decent habitat.
3) Water. A natural supply seems a must have.

What do people think? My mother (A prime mover in the trust idea) wants bluebells, but I've convinced her that they can always be transplanted to a site. My cousin wants a pond/lake, but I've made the point that you can always sink a pond/ lake in. Can anyone think of anything else that they would say is a must have?

Rights of access, from a public road preferably, and check the drainage. Soil that doesn't drain well or lies too low and flat can easily become 'damaged' by people simply walking over it repeatedly. Take care to check the walling/fencing responsibilities too.

The very best of luck with it, and if your mum needs bluebells, let me know. :)

Cheers,
Toddy

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Make sure you get as many rights as possible including sporting rights, otherwise you can find your peaceful bit of woodland transformed to something resembling the battle of the bulge every boxing day. Also without that taking any game for the pot from your own land can be poaching. If there is a river or stream check for fishing rights and the right to use the water for anything else.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Great idea Marts :) Good luck with it.

Very good points Toddy Few things that spring to mind from a professional point of view (I am a landscape architect) and certainly not exclusive to the others points etc.

1. Land Contamination. Make sure that your solicitor does a good search and double checks for possible contamination because that could land you with real problems in the future. For instance woods planted in the past on old coal mining spoil pits, old tanneries or industry etc, even 100 years ago could leave potential hazards especially when they might affect the ground water and cause damage to neighbouring land. Check out fly tipping etc on the land)Remember today it is 'the polluter pays'. This can be very costly! Check further details here Environment Agency

2. Ransom Strip/ PROW. especially ensuring you have decent access without a potential 'ransom strip (ie piece of land separating you from anything you require) Also important to establish if there are any public rights of way or other wayleaves, easements over the land

3. Public Liability Insurance. even if someone enters your land without consent you can be sued for any injury, for instance from a falling branch or a trip. Make sure you get decent cover. Sad but necessary.

4. Seasons. Try to visit any woodland during the winter to see it at it's starkest. you may have some less than inviting views not seen in the leafy summer months. Also check for seasonal flooding etc and whether it is in a floodplain (should all be included in a proper property search)

5. Grants. check with the local council for any potential grants available for planting, creating ponds etc. These tend to vary from county to county with national grants available also (Countryside Stewardship for example). Also local wildlife trusts etc. Just be aware that they often have specific interests and you need to retain an overview of what your uses will be as well.

6. Planning Zoning. Check to see if there are any existing planning consents on land in the vicinity, or land liable to be included in any local authority 'Local Plan' which may have an effect on the woodland (such as industrial development or housing next to it). Also that a road isnot designated to go thorugh it in the future! (again should be covered in any search but needs checking). Also, worth clarifying with the local authority whether it would be possible to locate a building on the site, such as a wooden tool store etc, or even a holiday cabin?! There are certain rules which govern what you are permitted to construct depending on the size of the woodland and other planning restrictions (like being in Greenbelt or conservation boundaries etc). It is very useful to be able to store tools etc on site. Also if you want to construct even a rough access road or parking area you may need planning permission. Best to find out what the local authorities attitude is beforehand. They are often helpful especially if you are proposing management which enhances the environmental value of the woodland.

7. Conservation Status. Whilst having land in a SSSI(Site ofSpecial Scientific Interest) or other designation (also archaeological etc) may be wonderful for the wildlife it will impose often quite severe restrictions on what you may wish to do on the land or even use it for bushcraft, with restrictions on fire lighting or even camping.

8. Aspect. If you view a wood located in a valley for example it may seem sunny and inviting in June, but quickly becomes enveloped in deep shade for most of the year, it will not be as appealing. Also sloping ground, whilst not being undesirable, if it is steep will restrict what you can do especially vehicular access.

9. History. Not really crucial but personally I love to do a bit of research on historic land uses and will often give a hint as to what grows best or type of soil or how species rich the wood may be (the older generally the more species). Old OS maps are available at libraries and even online here Ordnance Survey - Old Maps and will often show features not shown on modern maps, such as old ponds or clay pits now filled in (potential contamination?!) or springs or old buildings etc. Remember that there is little 'natural' woodland left in Britain and it is all man made to a lesser or greater extent. It is often a good place to start when considering how to manage the site for the future as well. One of the most interesting aspects is the toponomy or place names, which may well give a clue to the origins of the woodland.

10. Maps. Check 9. but also get a decent OS large scale map and check the site AND the area around to give you a clear idea of the context.

11. Land Management. It is important to carefully consider not just the type of management for the woodland but how it will be done and paid for over the longer term. Grants can be useful here but will also brings some responsibilities and restrictions. The trust should include how this will be dealt with. Also well worth talking to the local authority (most have a conservation officer with good local knowledge) and/ or local trusts who will often be happy to provide advice on planning future management.

A lot of this should be covered by a solicitors land search but the more you know about s potential site the better.

Good Luck :)

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I dont know if this is any help but there are quite a few big (in land content) farms in dorset (and else where i expect) . A lot of these farms have quite large wooded areas on them , as i understand it there is "something" in place to see that these areas remain wooded . So most farmers find them a hinderance as they can not cultivate it ! :eek:
It might cost you a few beers but a bit of resarch should get you an amenable farmer , even for renting !!
A lot of these are being rented for paint ball etc.
Whish i could afford a few acres though ! :D
Pumbaa

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
ok - Marts - pointed me to this thread after i posted a thread about buying woodland.

to me the idea of a group buy would be perfect , i mean, the cost of woodland isnt that crazy.

it would be great to be involved in a woodland area. count me in.

the little part of me who was trying to make some sort of means to creating this was to establish a group who could afford to chip in some money to purchase the woodland and then ask people if they would be willing to pay a certain amount per year to have right of access. sort of like a share in the woodland.

i am rambling a bit now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE