woodlands for sale?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy woodsman

Sep 15, 2006
Herefordshire
I have been looking for a woodland in Herefordshire for some years. I am looking for the following:
1. Largely flat or mainly south or South East facing land. Not less than 3 acres, not more than 10.
2. Oak/Ash/Beech for the fire, Hazel for craftwork.
3. Year round running water, preferably from a spring nearby.
4. Good access road, not too many houses nearby.
5. Reasonable internal track if over 3 acres
6. Full sporting rights (good point mentioned by R-Bowskill)
7. Ideally with good boundaries.
8. No public footpath or bridleway. A friend had a wood that was a nightmare because of dog walkers!

I would definitely consider joining a syndicate to buy or rent one in Herefordshire/Worcestershire/Wales (near the sea.)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just thinking outside the box, so to speak, but what about overseas? Even with the Euro kicking Sterling to pieces at present, France has plenty of cheap woodland areas/properties.

And when I was working in Bulgaria recently, noticed that property and land were ridiculously cheap - we're talking detached houses under £10K here folks! (OK, not by the seaside - that's rocketed, but elsewhere) And huge forested areas there too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
ok - Marts - pointed me to this thread after i posted a thread about buying woodland.

to me the idea of a group buy would be perfect , i mean, the cost of woodland isnt that crazy.

it would be great to be involved in a woodland area. count me in.

the little part of me who was trying to make some sort of means to creating this was to establish a group who could afford to chip in some money to purchase the woodland and then ask people if they would be willing to pay a certain amount per year to have right of access. sort of like a share in the woodland.

i am rambling a bit now.

You must be wealthy, woodland is on the whole very expensive in England and Wales at least (no idea about Scotland). Lets say you get a small plot for £50k and twenty of you put money in, so £2500 each. That small bit of land will soon get hammered even by 'good' bushcrafters plus £2500 is a lot of camping fees you could use to see different places?

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
You must be wealthy, woodland is on the whole very expensive in England and Wales at least (no idea about Scotland). Lets say you get a small plot for £50k and twenty of you put money in, so £2500 each. That small bit of land will soon get hammered even by 'good' bushcrafters plus £2500 is a lot of camping fees you could use to see different places?

OP posted 5 years ago Rik :)

Andy woodsman

Sep 15, 2006
Herefordshire
From my experience, if you are happy with a coniferous woodland, that has few quality (i.e. comercially valuable) trees, and probably on a slope or woodland difficult to access, then in the Midlands it will cost about 3.5k per acre, but will be a different kettle of fish to my ideal woodland (posted below). I have been to see dozens of woods over the past 8 years, and I have come to the conclusion that the best idea is to spot them on the map and then find the farmer/landowner and speak to him.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I thought about buying some woodland but found it too expensive.So I wandered around feilds and hills and woodland finding out who owns what.Eventually I met a chap who spent a lot of time in a part of Africa where the native tribe used land as and when required ,they didn't actually own it as they didn't believe you could own land.They believed that if the land was not being used then it should be used,and this applied to the whole tribe.
On his return to wales he bought 2 large fields surrounded by dense unmanaged woodland and set up home there with the same attitude towards land ownership as the tribe he met in Africa.
I now have a large area of land and woodland in the Gower peninsular that I can use for whatever I want whenever I want,And all down to a good bit of legwork and a tribe in Africa.It is probably better to find land you can use rather than purchase it,you get all the benefits and none of the greif that comes from land ownership.

Andy woodsman

Sep 15, 2006
Herefordshire
That sounds excellent Sapper1, :) and especially as it's on the Gower! I know what you mean about the problems with ownership. I will keep looking and keep my fingers crossed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE