Woodlands for sale

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charlesr

Sep 27, 2008
Johnstone, scotland
I was out and about today and noticed a sign saying woodlands for sale and couldnt help thinking, wouldnt it be great if the members could all pitch in and do some sort of fundraising event and buy theyre very own woods. The price was £23000 for 11 acres.

What do youse think, is this a silly idea just pie in the sky or do you think it would be great. I think this will make for a good conversation. Just think what could be done with our very own woodland.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
was it on the 77 near symington you seen that mate ,i,ve seen a sign there for a bit ,looks a nice wood as well

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Sorry for being cynical, but if you're thinking seriously about it you should talk to other groups of folks who have done this. I know of few communal projects that last long without arguments and upheavals as people who've put their money in want it back when they fall out with the other folk who own it over the way it's being run and everyone disagrees on what it's worth.

charlesr

Sep 27, 2008
Johnstone, scotland
Sorry for being cynical, but if you're thinking seriously about it you should talk to other groups of folks who have done this. I know of few communal projects that last long without arguments and upheavals as people who've put their money in want it back when they fall out with the other folk who own it over the way it's being run and everyone disagrees on what it's worth.

I do understand this would be a problem but surely something legal could be written where no one person actually owned it and it remained as property of all bushcraftuk members.

To afford it we could do a fundraiser it wouldnt be hard to raise 25000 between so many of us.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
In ... THEORY ... these "community" projects always sound good. A group of people all pool their money to buy some land for ALL of them to use. And all too often the only "agreement" they have between them is verbal based upon their current friendship and shared vision of the moment. But things then change fast. That "shared vision" soon becomes a bunch of different visions - often in conflict with each other.

And how to USE the property and by whom soon becomes a problem. Some people won't invite anybody else to use "their" land, while others will invite almost anybody. It will quickly get to that friend of a friend of a friend said I could use it, and you could show up and not know any of a couple dozen people there. Plus using somebody else's property quickly devolves down to not carring anything about that property and trashing it. (Why pick up your beer cans and candy wrappers - it's not your property) One person invites a friend and tells him that he can use it anytime --- then that friend invites one of his friends telling him the same -- who then invites some of his friends telling them the same -- etc. etc. -- and you will have people show up that none of the original "owners" know!

Then GREED will rear its ugly head! Somebody ... invested ... in the land, now owns their "share", it's worth more money now, and they want to SELL to get that money! Or they want to use the property to Personally Make Money off of it!

Just the conflicts about getting necessary work done on the property will be a big conflict area. Some people tend to do the absolute minimum to get by - waiting for other people to do the work. While some will jump right in to get it done now. Some will be out there all the time working, while others will only show up when almost forced to show up to work. And "skill" levels and the quality of work will vary greatly. There are always those who just want to show up to enjoy themselves - leaving any work and cleanup for others to take care of.

It is sad, but this type of thing happens waaaaay toooooo often! Any joint project like this would need a hard/comprehensive written agreement beforehand! And that will only ... slow down ... the development of problems within the group. I've seen 5 different groups go through this and fall apart - often splitting up life-long friends. So get it in writing BEFORE anybody invests!

I do know several groups that have remained strong and friends over the years with a "shared" property. But those all had a ... benevolent landlord. The only problems they had happened when that owner died and the surviving kids just saw dollar signs in their greed!

So, it would be a worthwhile project. Just go into it with your eyes wide open from the start. Wipe those misty/stary visions from your eyes, and get a well-versed "partnership" lawyer involved from the start.

Good luck with your vision.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands
- who has his own ... scars ...

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I do understand this would be a problem but surely something legal could be written where no one person actually owned it and it remained as property of all bushcraftuk members.

To afford it we could do a fundraiser it wouldnt be hard to raise 25000 between so many of us.
There are many groups that start a cooperative and share all responsibilities for the site equally. I think in england maybe scotland as well you enter into a covenant which lays out what you can and cannot do on the land and also your responsibilities

Ive never even considered buying woodland, but now you mention it... Id rather have 6 acres of meadow and woodland than a house :). There is even a slim chance I will legally inherit a (small) wood. If knife enough relatives I get lots of wood and a whole farm!

Hmm...You never know...

If there is a rock-hard enough legal contract behind it its got to work :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE