Wooden weapons? Purely for the aesthetics of course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Some good stuff on there Aaron.
I do wonder how you find some of the links you post though.....:)

Ahaaaaa, just found the tab I'd found it from. I'd typed "Knife scales" in google images and one of the thumbnails caught my attention and I just followed the white rabbit down the hole.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed seeing 'em, Sam.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
How on earth does he carve out the sheath for the hobbit & elf knives / daggers? Looks like they are done from a solid piece of wood with no join.

I love the Mongolian bow too. I don't know if he sells them but if he does, I guessing we are talking arm & leg type prices!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Some nice work there ... I have a half size oak Roman Gladius - wooden blade and rope guard - that I bought just coz it looked so good!

When I have carved wooden sheaths I have used a fine bladed saw to cut along the grain of the wood, rebated the gap for the blade and carefully glued the 2 halves back together - the join is next to invisible!

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Best wooden weapon was the quarterstaff.

Sorry Boatman but I’m going to have to argue the point a bit here Bro, for portability, cost “that’s also free” natural beauty and ascetics and sheer bludgeoning effectiveness the Shillelagh has got to be up there with the best, but then again it largely a matter of personal taste I suppose.
In the hands of trained and skilled adversaries the combat effectiveness of both weapons, offensive and defensive, would have to be on a par but if it came to a fight one on one with the Quarter staff and the Shillelagh the staff would defiantly have the distinct advantage of reach.
But purely on aesthetics reasons it's got to be the Shillelagh.
At you Sir:swordfigh
This is where I take a beating:stretcher:

By the way just to clarify Shillelagh AKA war club a bit, I’m talking the long shillelagh the Cudgel (walking stick length) not the short hammer type normally found on pub walls.

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I might agree with you thinking of the bata and its use in faction fights coupled with the fact that I think we had one that a local hospital lost that my Grandmother was using as a walking stick. But for dealing with armoured, sword armed, people the staff wins. The club is very much neglected although it seems to have been used throughout history.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What about Miyamoto Musashi the famous rónin who gave up using metal swords and used only wooden bokken. Bit of a hero of mine, and as ex sparing partners and one ex flatmate with a broken foot can attest wooden swords can hurt - a lot.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
yes they can goatboy as i can attest to in my youth nowadays my bokken is kept by the door for easy access if ever needed regards dave

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
What about Miyamoto Musashi the famous rónin who gave up using metal swords and used only wooden bokken.

Miyamoto Musashi, generally recognized as the greatest swordsman of all time, and author of The Book of Five Rings, the man was a legend even in his own lifetime the Muhammed Ali of his day he was to fencing what Masamune was to sword making, for the want of a better word perfect.

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Greatest in the context of his society perhaps but different styles mean that the bestest is difficult to agree. Can a slash from a Japanese sword beat a lunge from a rapier etc? it doesn't cover Japan but a very good video on Renaissance sword fighting is the Running Wolf production by Mike Loades http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swordfighti...F8&qid=1368032880&sr=1-2&keywords=mike+loades Then there are the works of Oakeshott on medieval and earlier weaponry and warriors particularly A Knight and His Weapons and Dark-Age Warrior. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knight-His-...8-1&keywords=oakeshott+knight+and+his+weapons Dark Age Warrior doesn't seem to be available.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
QUOTE=boatman;1309180]Greatest in the context of his society perhaps but different styles mean that the bestest is difficult to agree. Can a slash from a Japanese sword beat a lunge from a rapier etc?.[/QUOTE] (well that quote didn’t work)

Hi again Boatman.
First of all toshay, as I have to agree with you about context as it’s all relative.
Edge or point, speed verses power, possibly one of reasons why the Japanese beat the Mongols in fencing is the one handed Mongol sabre just got beat to one side and opened up the guard after the beat from the more powerful two handed Japanese parry. There must be a million variables “but now you mention it that’s the reason I got a Backsword and not a Broadsword to have the advantage of working off the point or the edge”, most people who buy a sword only like the sound of the word “Broadsword”. My pal in Edinburgh went in to a antique shop to buy an old Basket hilted backsword and when he said to the owner he wanted the backsword in the window the owner lost the rag and insisted it was a Broadsword even though it only had one cutting edge.
Just to throw the cat among the pigeons a bit more Musashi not only used wooden bokken he also wielded a wooden bokken in each hand against armored samurai a style which would probably just as easily fit into any renaissance school.
The man had 63 duels most against multiple opponents and that’s not counting the war’s he was in, regardless of the weapon, historical background or theatre of war Miyamoto Musashi will always be No1.
I’ve have no reason whatsoever to be bias other than I really think credit where credit due the man was an exceptionally talented swordsman and in a league of his own.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE