Wooden weapons? Purely for the aesthetics of course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've often felt personally that facing off with nihontó is more akin to a western gunfight/duel. In it's formalised form a lot is to do with speed and accuracy of the unsheathing/draw. Many fights being over in one cut. Unlike the classic "b&w" Robin Hood swordplay we see. Though as said different blades very much dictate different styles, and some of the wrist work in foil play makes the mind boggle. Though few things inspire confidence like an ōdachi or katana in your hand. (bring on the zombies).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
He killed a tengu you know <sniff disdainfully>

To be fair Tengu your counter point could fly and had a huge axe!!
ump.show_public_image

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There's actually a lot of wooden weapons when you think, tonfa, kama, boomerangs, staff (you can shatter a steel blade with one of those), Hawaiian war clubs and paddles, Shillelagh, Central American macana, and fictionally there was a whole world in Kelewan by Raymond E. Feist & Janny Wurts where the weapons are wooden. And many a Scottish lass can wield a rolling pin or spurtle to good effect.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I was thinking about the draw being critical and the rapier might well lose except that distance is the key thing. It seems that drawing and lunging as you close is a rapier move but would there be a Japanese counter to this? The small sword is much quicker to draw but probably lacks the length and weight necessary.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Depends if you are going for a drawn or sheathed start, have seen some blisteringly quick katana draws where they can parry before the blade has fully left the sheath. Most European fencing I've done comes from an unsheathed start.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE