Wood Stove Thing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I liked the look of Fenlander's stove thing, so I thought I'd try and make one similar.

I've got a large dog food tin (minus the dog food) which is about 17.5cm in height and 10cm in diameter. To plan the stove thingy I did a 3D model.

can_2a_sm.jpg

can_2b_sm.jpg

Ok...so I got a bit carried away.

Any comments or ideas? I'm thinking maybe the holes and the grate should be a bit lower.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i would try mounting the grate on steel tent pegs. with a series of holes drilled in the side of the tin you can alter the height of the grate as required.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Is ash a problem with these stoves?

If it is, then a large hole near the very bottom would help in raking out some ash so the fire can still breathe!

Ogri the trog

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Nice graphics Biddlesby :)

One suggestion. I have found using a similar woodstove that when you place a billy can or pot on the top it reduces the draw of oxygen through from the bottom of the stove to the top, in effect 'throttling' the power of the fire. If you cut some slots in the top (castellated top like a castle.) this will allow the flame to come up around the billy and improve heat transfer and reduce cooking time.

Good luck with a great project ;)

This is my latest design Biddlesby, which performed very well in the Peak District this weekend :D

It nly has two holes in it (making the wood burn slower and more efficiently) and three slots around the top to allow flames and oxygen to circulate when a pot is standing on it :D

Attachments

• New stove-2.JPG
    New stove-2.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 522

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Thanks all - I'll be using all these ideas. I'm going to start it soon.

Felander said:
This is my latest design Biddlesby, which performed very well in the Peak District this weekend

Ooh Mark 4 :p. Does a lack of holes under the grill not impede the fire? How was the peak district?

Motorbike Man said:
Great way to plan it, what package are you using?

I'm using SketchUp. It's a good program; easy to use.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I have found that hobo stoves burn better if the can is opened at both ends.

Four holes drilled near the top can be used to support 2 tent pegs or coathanger wire for a pot stand - this should give more support than just the folded top of the can..

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've had a thought, how about six flat plates joined into a hexagonal tube instead of the can. cut slots in the plate and use a grate cut to shape to hold it open. using tent pegs as the supports as before. this way it'll dismantle and fold away flat for easy packing.

I think you will lose those metal pins/pegs....remember your fire steel :p

My stove is nine cm's diameter, if you use one about the same, you probably won't need the two pins across the top anyway, because cooking pots and billy cans will sit on top of the stove ;)

I would suggest three or four slots aroud the top, rather than just two :)

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I suppose I won't have anything much smaller than 10cm in diameter. But it's nice to know I can always rest something in some notches just in case.

I'll put the extra slots in Mark 3.

Btw I'm worried I may have lost my mora too now - haven't seen it for days! :s.

Oh, and I've finally made my billys hangable now with some wire for the smaller ones and a coathanger for the larger. They're not perfectly level but unless you fill it beyond within a cm or so from the top it (shouldn't) spill.

Graham_S said:
i've had a thought, how about six flat plates joined into a hexagonal tube instead of the can. cut slots in the plate and use a grate cut to shape to hold it open. using tent pegs as the supports as before. this way it'll dismantle and fold away flat for easy packing.

Interesting plan. I might do something like that after I've finished this one, and probably get it finished in time for the moot if I did. This stove certainly will be.

[edit] Found the mora!

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
Graham_S said:

A commercial version is the "firespout" - made up of 4 plates that slide into each other to make a square "tin can". It should be easy to copy for anybody with sheet metalwork experience. the website seems to be down but here's the link anyway:
http://www.occuk.co.uk/outdoor/firespout-100.html

I wouldent necessarily go for a shorter can - it is much more work cutting sticks up short for fuel. You may, of course, use sticks longer than the can but it is prone to become unstable and you can't rest a billy on top without using a tripod.

By the way Biddlesby do you have a dog? I have someone snoring at my feet right now who would be willing to dispose of the can contents for free.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
If you are referring to mine, my stove is small so that I can travel with it. I've also got a much larger, similar thing in the shed that was bought from B&Q which I'm going to adapt.

3 dogs and a puppy ;).

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Great idea, this woodburner. The wife gets Slim Fast and the tins seem the ideal size 100 x 135 and the top is sort of reinforced due to plastic lid on original package.
One question though, how do you cut the holes in sides. Would think tinsnips would be to big.
Ian.
Why do you need the grate to be adjustable?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE