Wood and a stream

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds really, really good :) I've been looking at the Little House plans, the ones that are built on caravan or small truck chassis'. Could you get planning permission for something greenbuild ?

Tell us what kind of plants you'd like too. Between us we can forage/weed out most things you're likely to want to grow.
I'm digging out meadowsweet just now. It loves our damp land, but it grows along every burnside I know nearby too.
Grows fine in a pot if you put a tray under it and keep it moist.

cheers,
M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
As far as I know you don't need planning permission for anything you build on a moveable chassis or on skids; this is the way I always got around the planning laws to erect "field shelters" in places where you wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting planning. IIRC, any structure that can be towed from place to place by a tractor or suchlike is exempt, so we always built on two large trunks with big steel towing eyes either side and never had any problem with the planners.

I also have in my mind something along the lines of an exemption for a structure built entirely from materials sourced from the site that the building is on, but I'm vague on that one; well worth looking into though........:)

robdjon

Sep 12, 2013
Plymouth
Today we became the proud owners of approx 1.5 acres of a woodland and a nice fast flowing stream for the princely sum of £3500.
We have our own private access and its in a lovely quite stop on the Lampeter road about 6 miles outside Carmarthen.

Ideal mate really glad for you :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Excellent buy, congratulations, I am looking to grab some land soon and go off the grid completey

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Sounds really, really good :) I've been looking at the Little House plans, the ones that are built on caravan or small truck chassis'. Could you get planning permission for something greenbuild ?

Tell us what kind of plants you'd like too. Between us we can forage/weed out most things you're likely to want to grow.
I'm digging out meadowsweet just now. It loves our damp land, but it grows along every burnside I know nearby too.
Grows fine in a pot if you put a tray under it and keep it moist.

cheers,
M

Cheers Mary very kind of you, as far as im aware we don't need planning permission I also have travelers status which allows me to live on the land with consent.at the moment we are growing a cash crop on the land nearby we can't really say at the moment what it is as no one here has tried it before.

That sounds great, how would one go about buying a wood, is it just a matter of contacting the landowner?

Scott

We bought the land on a handshake, but it will be legally put in writing by my partners brother who is part of a law firm

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Congrats!

Slightly envious but happy you got such a nice sounding spot. Would like to see pics to actually see how it compares with the mental image i currently have

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
You won't regret it I guarantee. Buying my wood was the best thing I ever did.

On the caravan issue, I thought the law states you can't stay in it form more than 28 nights a year.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Excellent. Always wanted to do that but not had the cash.

If you want any environmental surveys (plants and invertebrates) let me know. I'm just want to be nosey!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Congrats, you know what they say about buying land......they're not making it any more. I wish I'd bought some now. I remember when I first joined on here, they're were threads about buying woodland, and some of the pitches were going for £6kish.
God knows what they'd be know? Probably £40kish

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
You won't regret it I guarantee. Buying my wood was the best thing I ever did.

On the caravan issue, I thought the law states you can't stay in it form more than 28 nights a year.

I thought it was not to stay in it more than 28 days a month ? You can leave the caravan in situ , but have to vacate for a few days holiday lol. Summat along them lines iirc.

Well done Woodstock. Tip my hat to the new squire 😉

That's our goal. We've given up our bonds to brick n morter and are now officially trailer trash lol
ygyte9a7.jpg

Our goal is to do the same.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
So, for clarity, does anyone know what the law says about how many nights per year a person can stay on their own land?

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Congrats, Woodstock.

As for the 'how many nights', I think it comes down to zoning and whether the site has permission for residential use. I've had some experience with the pitfalls here from living on a boat.

If you don't have residential permission, you may get hassled about whether you 'sleep' on the land and if it is your primary residence. I found that if I paid council tax, nobody gave a monkey's whether I had planning permission to sleep there or not.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Congratulations Woodstock,

Sound an ideal wee plot. Especially with a water source and a good amount of flora and fauna already in residence. As with the others pictures or a blog setting out your progress would be good. A start with a listing of existing animal/vegetable/fungal inhabitants would be good to see where your starting from.
Good luck with "The Crop" whatever it may be too.
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE