Winter Survival Practice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
today me and the brother inlaw decided that we weren't going to let the snow beat us.

so as we were also babysiting the kids whilst the mrs was at work, we didnt want to venture too far, so we decided to go out in the garden and build a snow shelter!

we started at about 2 this afternoon, and with a few brews and what have ya, got this done.

we decided to only make it a 1 man shelter rather than messing about with a two man and shelves inside etc.

very basic but very effective, thought id share the pics with you guys so here you are . . . . . . . .

SnowShelter

SnowShelter

SnowShelter

http://picasaweb.google.com/107113398441578779842/SnowShelter

if anyone can post the pics (cos still not got the hang of it) that would be great,

thanks whitey

Last edited:

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
cheers mate your a legend

its not bad

goes back about 8 foot but the photo doesnt show that.
its about 2 foot high and 2.5 wide.

plenty of room in there for me kit and me, dyin to sleep in her but will probably have to wait till tomorrow when the mrs is in lol

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
it was quick and simple, which, if using in a real life survival situation would be perfect for getting protection off the weather sharpish and without using too much energy

simple and effective cover

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
it was quick and simple, which, if using in a real life survival situation would be perfect for getting protection off the weather sharpish and without using too much energy

simple and effective cover

That is, as you say the whole idea (KISS ;) ) even if you were setting up for an extended period, I would do something simple 1st so I had some were to shelter as worked progressed.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
plenty of room in there for me kit and me, dyin to sleep in her but will probably have to wait till tomorrow when the mrs is in lol

That should give it chance to freeze up a bit too, should make it a bit stronger in case you start kicking out in your dreams :)

I'm gonna try a quinze in the garden on Sunday if we've got any snow left, all these posts are making me itching to try one.

whitey3192

Forager
Oct 23, 2010
North yorkshire
That should give it chance to freeze up a bit too, should make it a bit stronger in case you start kicking out in your dreams :)

I'm gonna try a quinze in the garden on Sunday if we've got any snow left, all these posts are making me itching to try one.

well we have tons of the stuff, i may try and build it up a bit tomorrow and try and make it a two man shelter by widening it a little.
there is loads i want to try but its finding time to do it lol

there is a few good drifts up in the dales i noticed yesterday, probably about 4 - 5 ft deep.
may have a look up there if i get chance as its half done lol

just need digging out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE