Camp Salty - Mors weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and your detailed thoughts …I enjoyed the build up on Instagram and it certainly seems to have lived up to expectations

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Skills wise..

I take huge enjoyment in being able to craft an item from the resources in the woodland. With time and practice (over the years) it has become a smoother transition from the idea/requirement, to gathering the materials. The task of crafting to using the tools feels almost effortless. This weekend has reinforced to me the importance of continually practicing skills to become efficient when you need to get multiple tasks done.

This was my first attempt at making a super shelter. I knew I would likely make mistakes but understanding the properties of the materials I had access to made the building of the shelter easier and quicker.

I should state that the shelter was made from the woods. The hazel poles were gathered elsewhere and brought to the woods for the weekend as Sam said there was only one small hazel stand in the woods and little in the way of thin straight poles for the shelter.

If I was to redo the shelter again I would make it a bit lower and bring the poles in to decrease the volume that needs heating, this would also have given me the extra length I feel I needed to get the poly sheet cover the shelter better.

The shelter was comfortable with the flexible hazel and I was comfortable in my t-shirt and mor survival scarf until about 2am when I put on my insulated jacket, at 4am I put the wool blanket over me. In the UK with our current temps I feel I would have cooked so the candle heating worked surprisingly well, again this would have worked even better if the shelter was a little smaller.

I would love to do this again in colder temps and design the shelter differently.

The final thought is... I was making an effort to drink through the weekend, especially while working. I felt like I was drinking lots of water but I still got dehydrated by the end of the weekend. Today I still feel like have a hang over even though this was a dry weekend.

Kit wise...

I missed a small folding saw, ideal for those small jobs such as gathering the saplings and cutting the hazel to length.

The 2 kilo survival kit needed a small bag to put the bits in when I was actually using the pot

It was good to be using the Mora classic again, so light I often forgot it was around my neck.

and finally I apricate my 4 season £300 down quilt
Thanks for sharing your lessons learnt (and also for sending me a link on instagram to your plastic sheeting!). I'm going on Neils Mors Camp down in Kent and will follow his guidance on setting up the supershelter with the poncho.
However, one thing I do want to do is use the candle heating method so it was interesting to get your thoughts on that and good to hear that it worked well.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I’m sure everyone’s got this point covered …We watched Kelly Harlton and JMac do a demo shelter at the GBS in 2019 and they commented about leaving a small ventilation hole in the finished shelter. I guess this is particularly important if using candles inside the shelter

I’m sure everyone’s got this point covered …We watched Kelly Harlton and JMac do a demo shelter at the GBS in 2019 and they commented about leaving a small ventilation hole in the finished shelter. I guess this is particularly important if using candles inside the shelter
this was provided by the parachute material and a less than tight application of the plastic sheeting.

maybe a couple of pointy branches poking holes in the sheeting helped too....

Reactions: falcon

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
this was provided by the parachute material and a less than tight application of the plastic sheeting.

maybe a couple of pointy branches poking holes in the sheeting helped too....
The hole in the poly sheet only happened when we tried putting the super shelter to bed at the end of the weekend.

The one whole that was made when making the shelter was taped up.

Just remember to patch them up next time you want to use it mate, or get a thicker gauge plastic so it will last a bit longer.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Great write up, I appreciate it. It's really nice to see how people feel about their experiences, what they learn, what they'd change and try differently etc. I think there's some really priceless connecting and learning goes on then, we can compare and contrast and all of that...

Cheers goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE