Trip Report First time hot'tenting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Thought you might find this interesting.
My wife had shown an interest in hot tenting and as we adopted a rescue foxhound 5 months ago, i thought it may be a good direction to try. We already have camping , tarps , and hammock experience, but a hot tent is a new venture.
My first purchase was a Winnerwell Nomad medium which i found at a reasonable price (wife wasn't too happy!) This of course meant i would have to buy a suitable tent to go with it. ( Wife just gave me one of those looks :rolleyes: ) Next it only seemed right to acquire two camping beds, so a couple of ex military camp beds followed. I must be one lucky bloke as she didn't blink an eye. I think she knows me pretty well after 34 years:O_O:
So we were all set to test out our new gear. We decided to stay local and found a nice site in the next valley.
Car all packed and four miles away we were ready. The tent i had chosen was a One Tigris Rock Fortress as it seemed to fit our needs.
First time erecting it on site and it went up easily with no problems. The stove was easy to fit and then we had to figure out the best way to fit the cots and our dogs bed.
IMG_20220307_112522 edit.jpg

My better half and our pooch..
IMG_20220306_153836 edit.jpg

Layout and stove..
IMG_20220306_153948 edit.jpg
IMG_20220306_154139 edit.jpg

The first night was below zero outside. It took me a little fiddling to get the stove running just right and to cook a beef casserole.
The dog was a little nervous of his new surroundings. When it came to bed time, he decided he preferred the middle of my wifes bed to his own! My wife spent the night curled in a ball.
IMG_20220306_180715 edit.jpg

The second night was a lot better. I got the stove running fairly well and although it was cold and windy the dog spent the night in his bed.
Over all it was a nice couple of nights away. The weather was forecast to deteriorate so we decided to quit while we were winning and head home.
The site is in a beautiful location by a river and flanked by mountains and forest. They allow fires in the supplied fire pits. The manager also said he might be open to allow us to hammock:hammock:
I thought i would include a few snaps of the area for reference.
They were only taken on my phone so not too bad.
Cheers for reading
Greg, Ali and Roscoe

IMG_20220307_110027 edit.jpg
IMG_20220307_105527 edit.jpg
IMG_20220306_161539 edit.jpg

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Sunshine and a really nice location, a great way to escape, and the Mrs and Roscoe both look happy. Well done. :) :thumbsup:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
NIce one :)
You can almost smell that cold fresh air :cool:

Did the stove take much feeding ? and how messy was the pack up of the stove pipe, etc.?

The photos are really good for phone snaps :)

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
I bought a bag of logs from our local shop. Just softwood though. We also took a few logs of Ash from our garden. Also bought a bag of those compressed fire logs to use during the night. They seem to burn well for about 2 hours. The flue was fairly clean when I packed away. Just a bit of soot at the top near the spark arrestor. Probably caused by the compressed logs.
Just as a bit of extra fun I started the second nights fire with flint and steel.

Reactions: swyn and Toddy

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Looking good, i'm looking at the possibility of hot tenting myself but the costs are not insignificant.
The Rock Fortress can be had for £250. The stoves are from around £100. The Winnerwell I went for set me back £299. Not cheap but hopefully a good investment for the future. If the worst happened, there's always a good market for them second hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE