Winter sleeping kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
mercury said:
Guess who found 4 G10 army down filled sleeping bags in his stores at the TA

Guess who's bestest bud is now the storeman :naughty:
Ive got a G10,their big n bulky but damn comfy and damn warm.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Tvividr said:
Comfort ratings for sleeping bags are very different from manufacturer to manufacturer, as there is no official international standard (yet) for measuring this. A good rule of thumb is to subtract 10 C from the temperature stated by the manufacturer. With other words: if the brochure says that the sleeping bag is rated to minus 25 C, you can usually count on sleeping warm and comfortable in -15 C and be a little cold in -25 C. Different liners and bivi covers can increase the warmth with anything from 2 to 10 degrees.
A good down sleeping bag for winter use should have at least 1,5 kg of down insulation material, preferably more. A synthetic fibre sleeping bag should have at least 2,2 kg of insulation material – preferably more like 3 kg. The heavier the better!

There's a formula sometimes used to calculate approximate temp ratings:
ETR = 100 - (40 * T)
ETR is the effective temp rating, T is the thickness in inches of the sleeping bag (the bit of it that actually covers you, not the underside). So if you measured the thickness (loft) of the top half of your bag and it turned out to be 2 inches thick... 100 - (40 * 2") = 20 degrees F
Of course this varies from person to person... you know... metabolic rates and all that.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
mercury said:
A G10 is the "old" army sleeping bag , down filled ,with a waterproof base

clem how does the weight and size compare to the modern army bag ? I can't recall
Sorry mate i cannot answer that as ive never used or seen a modern army bag.

willie

Forager
Sep 25, 2004
aberdeen,scotland
www.google.com
the old army sleeping bags like the 58 patt if i recoll are pritty heavy and u cant really compress them as they roll up in to the hood,unlike the modern ones like 90 patt which i use all year round its pritty big but can be compressed and dryed easier than old bags .

Brynglas

I use a buffalo three bag system which has looked after me during thre Norwewgian Winters and several Scottish and Welsh ones. The downside is that it's a bit bulky and difficult to compress, but it remains extremely effective when wet/damp and dosen't need to be protected from condensation or wet in the same way as down. It's also tough as old boots.

Since I left the services a number of years ago, my outer bag shrunk considerably(that's my story and I'm sticking to it, absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with me getting a belly, honest!! :oops: ). I recently sent the bag back to buffalo to get a new zip fitted and they kindly fitted a gussett in order to account for the er....shrinkage. So I can confirm that the after sales service from buffalo is god too.

:chill:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE