Not Bushcraft - music device question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm looking for a background music device that's independent from digital devices like computer, phone or tablet. Not as big as a traditional hifi. I'm thinking a small DAB radio.

Nothing special, I'm not that bothered by high fidelity sound, so long as it's not really poor quality. The last thing is it can't be a smart speaker listening out all the time. I'll be working in the room and smart speakers are strongly frowned upon by my employers, as in banned. That's why I thinking a traditional radio but updated to DAB. Anyone know much about them? What's a good but inexpensive one? Sub £100 preferably.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Why not a simple Bluetooth (dumb) speaker that could play anything you choose from your phone - your own stored music, digital radio etc. If you can link your phone to the internet the options are limitless. You'll get a good one for less than £20 and an excellent one for less than £100

Reactions: bobnewboy

minds_eye

Aug 30, 2011
South West UK
Sonos do a model of the Sonos one without a microphone. I’ve been impressed by the room filling sound of those, for the size and money.

I guess the issue though is you then need something to drive it, be that your phone kicking it off or otherwise?

I’ve had good success with the Pure DAB radios, if you’re after something just to play a bit of digital radio I don’t think you can go far wrong. They’re available in many different brackets and you can probably find one with Aux in for alternative sources in future.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Most of the Pure ones would do you fine. The Evoke ones sound great. Avoid the One series though, as after a year the black tactile finish one mine went all sticky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE