Winter hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
On useful tip with the Lowe Alpine hat (and clones) is that the ear flaps can be folded up inside the hat to create a normal cap-style hat (with a "Where Eagles Dare" kind of vibe). I often wear mine like this and it works very well. It is also a lot less hot when worn in this manner.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
+1 for the Lowe Alpine , been using mine for 15 years plus and still going strong, the wife and two of the kids have them as well and the eldest a Sealskinz clone that's very good too.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Yup I've had one for 12+ years. Still waterproof, still warm and still looks great after all these years... I think it may outlast me !!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I love my Lowe Alpine cap... it does make me look a bit odd but for pure function on cold wet days it's the bomb.

Funny thread though, all but two people say 100% that the Lowe Alpine cap is the best hat ever and steve48 gets something else entirely lol. Not complaining... it just amused me.

Moosemap

Sep 7, 2007
Kumberg, Austria
www.karteundkanu.at
i don't know how many plusses there are, I will add one, too. But, it is not performing so good when some kind of cold rain or snow is coming down as it will go straight down your collar. In this cases a real rain hat with a fleece cap of some kind will work better. Just my one cent... And it is rather loud with the flaps down...

Regards,
Heinz

swingerek

Sep 23, 2011
eastkilbride
what about the sealand keepers hat,very warm and waterproof with fold down ear covers,it also turns over into a bright orange saftey hat.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I love my Lowe Alpine cap... it does make me look a bit odd but for pure function on cold wet days it's the bomb.

Funny thread though, all but two people say 100% that the Lowe Alpine cap is the best hat ever and steve48 gets something else entirely lol. Not complaining... it just amused me.

I did try a Lowe Alpine hat honest and a few others too , but for me I liked the style but I found the fit / shape was better with the Begens one............... probably the shape of my head

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
I can understand this type of cap for cold weather, but my instant thought - and someone else mentioned it before me - was why would you wear this type of hat for wet weather? The rains just gonna run straight down your neck isn't it?

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I put a Lowe alpine mountain hat on my wish list for crimbo and I got one (stupid Amazon not making it as a gift it has been opened already).
What a cracking hat! Very useful as the boiler had broken and it will be a few days with no heating, so I now have a toasty warm head :)
So a big +1 to the Lowe Alpine hat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE