Winter Camping, what do you do after dark?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I was getting fairly enthusiastic recently about going camping for a couple days :hyper:. Then I realised just how early it gets dark now that the clocks have changed :sulk: :***:. In the UK, it is pretty dark by 4:30 in the afternoon already :yikes:.

That's a lot of time in camp after sundown, at least 4 hours. What do people do with the time? There is only so much reading that I would want to do.

Its easy if there are several of you, and you have a fire to sit and chat around, but if you are alone, or there are just two of you, what do you do?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
If there are few people there it is easier to occupy ourself, but on your own mostly some reading, carving, cordage binding etc. This time of year do I usually try to take advance of the early darkness and hit the hay. Then get up with the birds around 5-6am and start the day early. Being well rested in winter helps I find especial when on the move.

Off to Tollymore Forest park in Co. Down with the scouts this weekend so I'll see how much sleep I get with them. :roll:

James

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
A question I'm hoping to answer this weekend! Last time me and my mate did this we sat around the fire until we got tired of chatting to each other (admittedly we were trying to sort out how to translate what we were doing for our respective Scout Troops) and went to bed. It was only at that point that I looked at the time and discovered it was only a quarter to nine!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I tend to read a book and then sleep. But then I could easily sleep for twelve hours a night in winter it seems. I just wish I could hibernate till spring really mmmmm :)
It is nice to catch up on sleep, and get up early and see the dawn.

Try it Chris, it won't do you any harm honest :p

Cheers
Rich

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Off to Tollymore Forest park in Co. Down with the scouts this weekend so I'll see how much sleep I get with them.

so no sleep expected as normal the James... :biggthump

I agree that there's nothing wrong with simply going to sleep, but that's assuming that you're able to just nod off when necessary (a skill I believe squaddies pick up very quickly). But if you can't, and I can't always, there is that long time that Chris is alluding to.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
In farness they are Venture scouts 16-20 so they won't be that bad. Add to that we are planning a big hike on Saturday so that will tire us all out. I will also be bring the HHammock to that will be a bit of test.

As for the time I often find it myself soon getting tired anyway just watching the fire and when I on my on or with other adult company a small drop usually helps to bring on the sandman. But everyone is different.

James

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I find it fun to go off and practice my night nav after I've sent up the camp...I've got a sort of routine, I set up camp...collect enough fire wood and then head off on a circular night nav route getting back to camp at about 9ish, then cook dinner in the dark and it's not too long then till bedtime.
I also go out looking for foxes and other night wildlife and "Pretend" to hunt it...as in I try to track and stalk it but don't follow through with any attempt at a kill (I don't even take a weapon...don't phone, it's just for fun)... So far I'm crap at it and haven't even got close to anything!
I've also found arriving at your chosen camp site after dark (yes, I know all the books say not too and to leave plenty of daylight for building camp) and see how I get on building a debris shelter or even just a basha after dark....wood collecting can also kill plenty of time after dark as it takes ages to find the stuff, even in a forest full of it! I like to try this with just a torch, then next time with a hurricane lamp and next time with no light at all and so on...
When I go down to Brecon to Hill walk, with my doggy, I go down on a Friday night and so arrive after dark no matter what my intention. Although it's not by the book I think working as well in the dark as you do in the light is a very important skill and means if circumstances dictate that you have to do it in a "real" situation then it's not as big an effort.

Happy camping all...

Phil.

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
When with others I usually will have a fire and talk, but sometimes we just sit down carving, planning next days route etc.
When I am alone - like for 4 days at the end of next week :eek:): - I usually plan to cook supper just after dark (sunset is at approximately 16:30), and prepare the campfire (firewood usually collected before dark). After eating I sort out whatever needs to be sorted out, check the map and make plans for the next day etc. If I have found some nice birch burls during the day, I will perhaps start shaping a cup etc. Before getting into my sleeping bag, I will arrange the extra firewood so that it is within easy reach without me getting out of me sleeping bag. Before going to sleep, I might make notes, do some drawings (if inspired) and do a bit of reading if I have brought a book etc.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Ill usually get out on a friday after work so ill set up about 7.30/8ish ill get a bru on and set up in the light of my head torch, then ill sit n drink my bru, then ill get some munch on the go and walk about and get a small fire together then ill plonk my butt down have my scoff and light the fire get out a wee dram of something nice and chill out staring at the fire crackling away (as you do). Or if im with some one it'll be get set up get a fire on the go get a big dram of some thing out and some food on the go and reenact the campfire scene from blazing saddles and laugh alot :lol: ,well something along those lines anyways :rolmao: I never carve after dark its a tad iffy IMO. :shock: happy camping campers :chill:

leon-1

Have a cup of coffee, Cook, read, have a cup of coffee, prep stuff for the morning (make fuzz sticks and sort out the stuff for the fire in the morning), cut logs to a reasonable size and prep for banking up the fire before I go to bed, have a cup of coffee, maybe do a little carving and then flick the squaddie switch and wake up the following morning and have a cup of coffee :wink:

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
leon-1 said:
Have a cup of coffee, Cook, read, have a cup of coffee, prep stuff for the morning (make fuzz sticks and sort out the stuff for the fire in the morning), cut logs to a reasonable size and prep for banking up the fire before I go to bed, have a cup of coffee, maybe do a little carving and then flick the squaddie switch and wake up the following morning and have a cup of coffee :wink:
:yikes: With all that coffe I bet you have to get up earlier than the following morning :wink: :eek:):

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Tvividr said:
:yikes: With all that coffe I bet you have to get up earlier than the following morning :wink: :eek:):
Thats the pitts eh :roll: when you get in your sack snuggle down get warm n toasty drift of then wake up seconds later busting for a number 1 or worse a 2 :wink: :roll: and inevitably it would have just start to rain :roll:

leon-1

Gerd, I would appear to have a bladder the size of the average hot air balloon and I learnt that when it is full of liquid I stay warmer, when I go in the morning it's a bit like a scene from one of the Naked Gun films though :eek:):

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
finding a night sit spot or doing a night stalk to see whats around is a good pass time if your alone.

if you are skilled at tracking you could try some night tracking as a challange :eek:):

I usually find myself making cordage, hours can go by whilst you make cordage by firelight

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
leon-1 said:
Gerd, I would appear to have a bladder the size of the average hot air balloon and I learnt that when it is full of liquid I stay warmer, when I go in the morning it's a bit like a scene from one of the Naked Gun films though :eek:):
:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao:

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
leon-1 said:
:shock: ..... :yikes: ..... :eek:): :rolmao:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
When & where I'm out it's almost always 24 hour light or dark (I always seem to be in Norway in high summer or depths of winter - :?: ). So either it's dark all the time so it's normal, or I stay up and take pics of the sunset, sing while I wait (we have quite a strong song tradition on our little ops, pity they're not really suitable for young ears :yikes: :rolmao: )

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
I really enjoy walking at night, when you get away from the cities, the stars are brilliant, and if you time it with a full moon, there is plenty of light to see where you are going (once your eyes get used to it).

In winter i tnd to set off 8pm (ish) and walk till i have had enough, camp, then up for more walking in the morning..... Its great digging yourself out of the snow in the morning :) and getting a brew on

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
C_Claycomb said:
I was getting fairly enthusiastic recently about going camping for a couple days :hyper:. Then I realised just how early it gets dark now that the clocks have changed :sulk: :***:. In the UK, it is pretty dark by 4:30 in the afternoon already :yikes:.

That's a lot of time in camp after sundown, at least 4 hours. What do people do with the time? There is only so much reading that I would want to do.

Its easy if there are several of you, and you have a fire to sit and chat around, but if you are alone, or there are just two of you, what do you do?

If I am alone I tend to fall asleep at about 9pm. It must be all that fresh air! If I'm camping with a mate we usually have a couple of nips from the hip flask before spending ages talking absolute rubbish....... On the odd occasion that my good lady wife sees fit to come camping with me there are, of course, other ways to spend long evenings :wink:

Cheers,
Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE