Winter Camping, what do you do after dark?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
simonsays said:
If I'm camping with a mate we usually have a couple of nips from the hip flask before spending ages talking absolute rubbish.......
Cheers,
Simon

Aye :biggthump I like to do all of the above, perhaps prep the fire for the morning and then to kip

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
This thread touches on a more serious aspect of winter camping. The phenomenon known as 'cabin fever' or the winter blues. We are genetically a savanah primate and long periods without sunshine makes us a depressed lot. In my arctic survival school you could see people sink into inactivity and also dehydration from not drinking enough fluids. Our instructor was very sharp and at the slightest sign had us up, outside and doing snowbound exercises worthy of a John Cleese silly walk. I somehow avoided the malady,prefering to sleep outside tripping out on the northern lights, listening to wolves howling in reply to my tape of Jimi Hendrix singing "All Along the watchtower." :chill:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I tend to just enjoy the atmosphere and the fire. Talking, carving, and making lanyards etc.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
I was eager to find out what everyone was saying about their winter camping.

You guys seem to have no problems lighting fires but I wonder how you do it because in many places it's not allowed and your fire will be seen even more than in Summer, the trees having lost their leaves.

I am a woman. I wouldn't mind going solo, but the fire really gives your presence away and that would scare me that people might come to my camp to see what's going on and well then I would feel pretty defenseless.

But having said that, the fire is certainly a must in winter camping. I did camp in winter on a camping site (no fire of course) and slept quite long hours. My experience of the morning was that once I had got up, quickly got dressed, it was just too cold to stick around and "do" anything round the camp, not even getting the stove out and wait for water to boil for a warm cuppa. All I could do is get walking, get moving and come back for an early (and rather long :lol: !) night, going to bed around 4pm, having eaten somewhere indoors before.

Well not quite my idea of a great camping experience. This is why it was quite informative reading your posts to see how you got on.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I can understand your concern! Difficult one that, all i could suggest is blocking view of fire in any public direction ie road. Other than that keep a big pointed stick by your side :wink:

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
If with the sciouts we sit around the fire talking. This is the best time for a leader to just move his seat back a bit and listen to them,Sometimes they forget you are there and you get better feed back than asking a question outright. This weekend there are a group of us going out in hammocks, tents and bivvi so we shall sit ariund the fire and put the world to rights whilst sampling some fine ale and cigars (its the only time I smoke).
Its soooooo relaxing.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
This does not appeal to winter camping, but the three other seasons. Mainly because I dislike cold very much.

After a hard day either canoeing or walking, I'm best with just some cocoa, a fire and friends. But I've got to have my compulsory 15 minutes of peace, every evening! It's a ritual and I hate getting disturbed. It's moments used to gather me thoughts and so. :wink: Usually I just walk a little away from the camp and sit somewhere, preferably by a lake or something.

- :biggthump

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Bamboodoggy, setting up camp after dark in winter, this meaning building a shelter/stetting up a tent in the dark plus finding/collecting fire wood in the dark!!

Obviously you are an seasoned bushcrafter and you know your winter skills. I like reading stories like this because it removes the sense of "failure" or "getting it all wrong" each time we find ourselves in circumstances the books insist we shouldn't be in...

Doing things in the dark and being out of your tent in the dark has a magic of its own. And hardship is a very relative word and perception.

Sometimes being out there at night is an important part of the outdoors. We miss out on the night when living indoors.

We all know the feeling when having to get out of a sleeping bag in the middle of the night for a pee. In the winter, well it does take...well... some strength of character :lol: ! Well I have never regretted having to do this, because each time something magical was awaiting out there, the moon, everything, the whole atmosphere, each time realized that I would have missed out, had I not got out in the middle of the night.

leon-1

nomade said:

You guys seem to have no problems lighting fires but I wonder how you do it because in many places it's not allowed and your fire will be seen even more than in Summer, the trees having lost their leaves.

If you are going to have a fire I would checkout The Heather and Grass etc. (Burning) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986 No.428) as amended by The Heather and Grass etc. (Burning) (Amendment) Regulations 1987 (SI 1987 No. 1208) in conjunction with the Wildlife and Country Act 1981, you will also have to check local byelaws, there are lots of rules and regs for this one.

It is far easier to approach a land owner and ask if whilst using the land it would be O.K. to start a fire. :)

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Asking a farmer is the best way to secure a nice camp spot in my experience. Usually allowed to light fires if you come across as someone who knows what they are doing.

Frogo

Forager
Jul 29, 2004
nomade said:

I am a woman. I wouldn't mind going solo, but the fire really gives your presence away and that would scare me that people might come to my camp to see what's going on and well then I would feel pretty defenseless.

But having said that, the fire is certainly a must in winter camping. I did camp in winter on a camping site (no fire of course) and slept quite long hours. My experience of the morning was that once I had got up, quickly got dressed, it was just too cold to stick around and "do" anything round the camp, not even getting the stove out and wait for water to boil for a warm cuppa. All I could do is get walking, get moving and come back for an early (and rather long :lol: !) night, going to bed around 4pm, having eaten somewhere indoors before.

Well not quite my idea of a great camping experience. This is why it was quite informative reading your posts to see how you got on.

I have never found having a fire an issue in Wales, if I camp in winter or summer, on the beach or in the woods I always have a fire.
With regards to the fire being spotted in the woods and at night, unless they are almost on top of your campsite you will not be seen. To this day I have not had anyone approach me.

Happy camping.

Frogo

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
nomade said:
Bamboodoggy, setting up camp after dark in winter, this meaning building a shelter/stetting up a tent in the dark plus finding/collecting fire wood in the dark!!

Obviously you are an seasoned bushcrafter and you know your winter skills. I like reading stories like this because it removes the sense of "failure" or "getting it all wrong" each time we find ourselves in circumstances the books insist we shouldn't be in...

Doing things in the dark and being out of your tent in the dark has a magic of its own. And hardship is a very relative word and perception.

Sometimes being out there at night is an important part of the outdoors. We miss out on the night when living indoors.

We all know the feeling when having to get out of a sleeping bag in the middle of the night for a pee. In the winter, well it does take...well... some strength of character :lol: ! Well I have never regretted having to do this, because each time something magical was awaiting out there, the moon, everything, the whole atmosphere, each time realized that I would have missed out, had I not got out in the middle of the night.
Good practice setting up in the dark, if you can do it in the day light you can do it just as well at night with a head torch, give it a go even if you just set up and pack up while its dark :biggthump

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey Nomade, glad you liked my little rituals...lol
I'm not sure I'd discribe myself as a seasoned bushcrafter but I spent a little time in the army and they all had this odd notion that if you've got a light on then somebody is going to shoot at you so what with that and the 50 press up fine from the NCO's you soon learn to do without. :?:
Right from cubs, to scouts to the cadets and so on I have always been pushed not to use torches unless I really really have too...with various instructors and leaders advising that if I use them all the time then I can garentee to have flat batteries just when I need them...(I seem to be even more suseptable to sod's law than most people!).
I do like to try things against the book when I think it's safe to...books are written and read usually in a comfortable setting but with the books we read it's fairly likely that we won't be that comfortable when we need rather than choose to try the skills in them so we have to make do and I guess one of the aims of bushcraft (to me anyway) is to make life as comfortable in the woods as I can.
I've even practiced setting up a basha in my back garden during the middle of the day but blindfolded...(I vaguely remember doing the same with a patrol tent once when I was a scout many years ago).
The other option for winter camping of course is to totally reverse your routine....camp during the day when it's usually not as cold and you have light to do stuff and walk/trek/stalk/nature watch etc at night when it's cold but you're on the move so don't feel it as much.
Sutton is only about half an hour from me and you can light fires in our woods ok, I'll send you the grid ref if you want.

As for "failure" and "getting it wrong", I've certainly had my fair share of that (and still do from time to time)...many's the time I've arrived after dark and set up camp only to wake up later that night and find I'm sleeping in a newly created puddle once the rain has started! I guess it's how you learn...nothing like a poo'y cold wet night to focus the mind on getting it right next time :eek:):

Right...waffled on long enough now I think!
Happy camping!
Phil.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Ummm... I'll admit to the odd half hour or so of 'net browsing. Expensive and slow, but if you're careful about the sites you visit it can be okay (BCUK is rather too graphic intensive). Aside from that I write, junk usually. Eat and drink more than is strictly necessary. Just enjoy sitting at/tending the fire. Take the odd short walk and have been known to experiment with fishing in the dark. And I do read too...If all else fails I'll sleep, anywhere, anytime.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Thanks for all the replies and advice. All I seem to need now is just get going, out there! :lol: !

Bamboodoggy it seems we are neighbours! :). Thanks for the great information you give and the sense of freedom in what you write.

It's interesting to know your background and training and how you continue to train (doing things reverse or blindfolded, great survival training because it all becomes automatic and done before you know it, so you can concentrate on other interesting things beside your camp itself or concentrate on finding solutions in a survival situation).

I will try doing as much as I can without the torch.You also exercise your eyes to night vision. Batteries running out, I've been there :lol: . Some batteries seem to have a very short life.

The army is a good background for bushcrafting.

Another idea you give is sleeping by day and being part of the wild's or the forest's night life at night, maybe meeting some of the wildlife or following tracks. I'd love to do that.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Go Girl..!!! :wink:

Get out there and do it....

The army wasn't a bad background but if I'm honest the Scouts and the Cadets taught me just as much if not more!

Offer's there to come over to our woods anytime you like....might even join you for a stalk if you don't mind company :roll:

Just one final point....I'm "Bambodoggy", not "Bamboodoggy"...lol

Laters...

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Sorry Bambodoggy for mispelling your name..well bamboo is such a great bushcraft material (not that I have much experience of it, it 's more in the jungle...) that it just sprang to mind when typing your name! :lol: !

Where are your woods exactly?

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hey no worries! Womble has been calling me Bamboo all afternoon! lol

The woods is called "The Frimley Fuel Allotments"....There's a link from some old guy that does mountain biking that I found on Google that may help a bit...but if you find junction 4 of the M3 on a map and then look for the little town of Frimley....it's just near there....(The link I found is on the "Ashdown Forest meetup thread).

I've just managed to copy and paste a map off Street map but can't seem to attach it here....basically, if you go onto www.streetmap.co.uk and then do a search on "Old Bisley Road", it's the green area south of that road, you can then zoom out of the map and it should show you where the wood is.

Enjoy..... :eek:):

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Thanks a lot Bambodoggy! I'll take a good look at the map. I travel by public transport: train or bus. So I'll have to see how you reach the place from the nearest railway station/coach station and then maybe bus stop.

Cool to give me the info. I'll a need get-a-way-from-it-all soon with a nice fire :) . Can't wait!

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
nomade said:

Greetings,
First I want to tell you that where I am living there are no problems in having an open fire, therefore I might express thoughts which are off limits in other places of europe. Even living here in the north of sweden I don't like that people spot me. Because I don't know these guys watching me I rather stay in control over the situation and prefer to blend into the forest. I don't want to hope that people are nice and friendly, I prefer not to meet them. :wink:
If I would be a woman I surly would not ask a person if its ok to have a fire near to his place. According to my philosophy to stay in control over the events I would only end up hoping that the guy I meet is ok and not a creep. How can you be sure that he is not drinking all night and remembers suddenly the lonely lady asking for permission to camp in his forest.Its better not to be seen and to stay in control, I would prepare my camp late at night when most of the folks are in bed and start the fire when they should be sleeping. I was out there last sunday and the fire I made was an open one and still you could not see it from far. Maybe 30 meters in the forest you would see a little bit. The smell is more of a problem I think. There is a other good point in not showing yourself, even if people see your fire in the forest they don't dare to come over to you because they too don't know whats is going on and they are too afraid of the unknown. I noticed that people usually keep a good distance to the weirdo in the forest. :yikes:
But the best in my opinion is not to be seen at all if possible. (Just my 2cents)
You have to pick a good spot for the fire with a natural reflector in front and your shelter covering the back.

Check out this picture from one of the boys here as an example of a good spot:

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=259&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

cheers and good luck, keep your wood dry!
:chill:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE