Winnowing basket

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i finished this last week and i thought i would post the results.

I used the coiling method,which is really rather simple to do. It took me about about 12 hrs to stitch,broken up into 3 sessions of 4 hrs each.

The materials used were Straw for the filling and Raffia for the binding. It measures 19cms across the base and 25cms rim to rim,4.5cms deep.

As for the amount of stitches,well lets just say there are a LOT :Wow:.

Anyway heres the results,and yes its rather frosty here this morning.

winnowbasket3800x600.jpg

winnowbasket5800x600.jpg

winnowbasket800x600.jpg

winnowbasket2800x600.jpg

As i said the coiling method is not difficult to do,but is very time consuming.

Well thanks for looking.

Cheers
Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice one Stuart :D Very tidy and practical. Quite beautiful too :)

Astonishing how much work it can be though......I gathered the flag iris leaves when I tidied up in the garden before Christmas, with the best of intentions, so far I've got about 10 metres of cordage :rolleyes: I was aiming to make a coiled rope basket since it shouldn't need so much stitching.

Thanks for sharing :cool:

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Love to see that one in use Stuart....I could really ahve used something like that when winnowing!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,many thanks for the kind comments.

Nice one Stuart :D Very tidy and practical. Quite beautiful too :)

Astonishing how much work it can be though......I gathered the flag iris leaves when I tidied up in the garden before Christmas, with the best of intentions, so far I've got about 10 metres of cordage :rolleyes: I was aiming to make a coiled rope basket since it shouldn't need so much stitching.

Thanks for sharing :cool:

M

Hi Mary,i may be picking your brains at the meetup,about the Iris cordage. I would'nt mind seeing the finished basket,once you,ve made it.:)

Cheers Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Iris is easy :) it's just storing it straight until I get around to soaking and working it that's proving to be a problem.....right now it's lying along the racks in my greenhouse.
It comes out with the most beautiful colours though :) the same way that the soft rushes do :D

M

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
That basket is fantastic, do you think you could've got away with less stitches or would that have compromised the durability of the basket? Also, do you think that a coiled basket is the most time-consuming type of basket to manufacture and as regards pure practicality (quick manufacture/durability), which type of basket do you think is best to shoot for?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
That basket is fantastic, do you think you could've got away with less stitches or would that have compromised the durability of the basket? Also, do you think that a coiled basket is the most time-consuming type of basket to manufacture and as regards pure practicality (quick manufacture/durability), which type of basket do you think is best to shoot for?

Hi wildranger,with this basket having straw for the filling and it being quite short,i don't think i could skimp on the stitches,as it would probably impair the durability.

As for which would be quicker,i have really no idea. I think it all depends on your time constraints and what you want to achieve.
The coiling method is certainly the easier to learn.

But if you want a quick field expedient basket you could also try this,which i did earlier in the year. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73625&highlight=

I don't know if this helps you at all,but good luck with which ever method you choose.
Oh and remember to post the results.

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE