Will your day pack save your life??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Obviously we have different climates. For me (here and now) Summer offers NO possibility of hypothermia (or even uncomfortable cold) For now the nightly lows are decent (no chance of hypothermia even this early into the season) But later as it really get hot, nightly lows will be well into the 80s and humidity above 90% will be the norm. On other words; even if soaking wet, it will be uncomfortably hot even from midnight until dawn.

Contrast that to Winter lows occasionally (but not often) reaching in the low 10s (fahrenheit) with freak ice storms.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
My previous post is when I take walks in Scandinavia.
Here on Grand Cayman I have never done a walkaround. Nowhere intersting to go. Plus way too hot. To many hungry mosquitoes!

Dehydration and heat stroke are the dangers here. Plus Dengue fever, and the nasty Zika soon I guess!

... I always carry a black plastic bag type bin liner, one of those thin good quality ones. Well packed it takes no space at all. Make a serviceable poncho it it rains and will be nice and cosy ( plus water tight) as a sleeping bag if you need to overnight...

Janne, I'm glad you mention the bin-liner (3-4 mil contractor's trash bag)! American survival instructor, Peter Kummerfeldt, has long advocated that day-hikers carry an International orange or blue heavy-duty plastic bag as an emergency shelter. I was taught to use it as a person-size shelter by cutting a face-hole about 4-6 inches down the side-seam from the closed end of the bag (and use duct-tape to keep the cut from spreading).

I carried one for many years before switching to a silnylon tarp. These bags are inexpensive, lightweight, compact, multi-purpose, waterproof, and windproof. They are a good piece of kit.

- Woodsorrel

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I know many on this forum try to use oldfashioned things made from wood, leather and canvas, but I have always used modern materials.
Except for clothes, where I prefer cotton and wool. Leather and rubber for shoes.

Janne, I'm glad you mention the bin-liner (3-4 mil contractor's trash bag)! American survival instructor, Peter Kummerfeldt, has long advocated that day-hikers carry an International orange or blue heavy-duty plastic bag as an emergency shelter. I was taught to use it as a person-size shelter by cutting a face-hole about 4-6 inches down the side-seam from the closed end of the bag (and use duct-tape to keep the cut from spreading).

I carried one for many years before switching to a silnylon tarp. These bags are inexpensive, lightweight, compact, multi-purpose, waterproof, and windproof. They are a good piece of kit.

- Woodsorrel

i guess a trash bag is much better then nothing but it doesnt provide much insulation- not to mention condensation.... . and those (standard) space blankets arent very long-lasting, either.... what would be a good solution to fit in a daypack (@least for warmer weather) I'm toying with the idea of a poncholiner but there might be better option out there..... ( I always have my poncho in my daypack and clothing according to the weather)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My previous post is when I take walks in Scandinavia.
Here on Grand Cayman I have never done a walkaround. Nowhere intersting to go. Plus way too hot. To many hungry mosquitoes!

Dehydration and heat stroke are the dangers here. Plus Dengue fever, and the nasty Zika soon I guess!

LOL. Your blood should have thinned out better than that by now. I can't speak for the Caymans specifically, but tropical to subtropical environments in general are fascinating places to explore and the Caribbean is an awesome fishing ground.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
No, Santa, blood is still thick. Did some hard work trying to thin it with Rum, but with limited success.
Now I just keep hydrated with beer.

Nature here on dry land is not so interesting.
We have a trail called Mastic Trail. Boring to what is out there in the world.

But the Mangroves are interesting to explore from a boat or one of those horrible plastic kayaks.

Last edited:
i guess a trash bag is much better then nothing but it doesnt provide much insulation- not to mention condensation.... . and those (standard) space blankets arent very long-lasting, either.... what would be a good solution to fit in a daypack (@least for warmer weather) I'm toying with the idea of a poncholiner but there might be better option out there..... ( I always have my poncho in my daypack and clothing according to the weather)

forrestdweller, personal preference plays into your equipment selection. I choose to insulate primarily with clothing and I go heavier on clothing/gear than most.

I live in a Mediterranean climate. If it rains in June/July/August it is an historic occasion. So during these months I use a lighter nylon windshell for my wind/rain protection instead of a rain jacket. I do this only for certain months, in familiar territory, at low elevations. Winters are mild.

What I carry in my backpack in addition to the clothes I wear:

Summer
- Windshell
- lightweight thermal top
- lightweight gloves (for warmth and protecting my hands)

Winter
- Rain jacket
- lightweight fleece
- lightweight thermal top
- lightweight gloves (for warmth and protecting my hands)

Notice that I neglect an insulating layer for my legs (i.e. thermal bottoms)! This is a personal choice.

For emergency shelter:
- Small silnylon tarp (bright color)
- 50' Type III 550 paracord
- Mylar blanket (once I get myself off the ground, it makes a good vapor barrier and heat reflector. Or drape it around me)
- 3 methods to start a fire, with tinder (firesteel, matches, lighter)

I hope this helps with your layering choices. I experimented with several configurations before I found a system that works for me.

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

bearbait

This is my basic load for a half or whole day hike. I reckon I could survive an unexpected night out, obviously depending on what injuries I'd suffered.

attachment.php

My pack is a Lowe Alpine Air Zone Centro 35+10, with a small Maxpedition pouch attached to the LHS hip belt.

Other gear is added at the trailhead (see below) when I see what the actual conditions are like, where I'm going, and the weather I'm expecting during the day.

attachment.php

Firstly, the Jerven Bag Exclusive. This is used as my weather-proof shell for lunch stops, bag for the odd catnap after lunch, as a cape in occasional rain showers, groundsheet for picnics with the GF, tarp. (And has been used in extremis whilst waiting for the Air Ambulance, to shelter a lady I found in a very poor way in the Black Mountains.) If I'm expecting a lot of rain I prefer a cagoule to hike in, which will go in the pack.

Top to bottom, left to right...

Small pair of binoculars;
Sawyer water filter with squeeze bag and straw;
Personal FAK with piece of (rather grubby) elastic bandage and safety pin;
Nalgene 1L water bottle;
Pencil and two pieces of waterproof paper;
Small press-and-hold LED light (just below the grey Sawyer straw);
Petzl Headtorch with continous or flashing white light, or red light;
The Jerven Bag pouch which contains the belt and the orange flag (and the "armings" as they seem to be called!);
Silva Type 27 sighting compass (which contains a small mirror which could be used for signalling, and a primitive sundial);
Titanium Spork, folding;
Snowpeak Ti Mini-Solo cookset and lid, containing another 1L Nalgene bottle, along with a bail fashioned from a bike brake cable;
Three T Bags;
An extra Antiseptic Wipe for lunch stop (others in the FAK).

attachment.php

As above...
Firstly a closed-cell foam sitmat;
Half a dozen cable ties (zip ties) approx 25cm;
Plastic bag containing spare batteries for the GPS and for the camera;
Four Groundhog pegs;
A load of cordage in three hanks;
Firesteel and striker along with tinder (and a thermometer) in the shotgun shell;
Windproof matches;
Waterproof matches;
Swiss Army knife;
Opinel knife;
Emergency Side Release buckle for my rucksack hip belt;
Carabiner;
Large piece of fatwood.

On the orange flag is a
Credit card-sized Fresnel Lens magnifier (for map and splinters);
An Alocsac waterproof bag for my camera/anything else.

There are two further carabiners on the rucksack at the base of the shoulder straps for quick attachments, e.g. baseball cap, safety line for the GPS, hiking poles for a brief stop, map case lanyard, etc.

I also carry a piece of paper with instructions as to what to do with my body, i.e. contact details for next of kin, and for my GF (don't want her being annoyed that I'm late for my date!); and details of my car which will be parked somewhere.

Other gear added at the trailhead:

There would obviously be some food according to expected length of hike. Maybe extra water for high temperatures/little chance of resupply.

Mobile phone, usually switched off. (I do have a satphone but it rarely comes with me as it's a bit of a brick.)

For a full day hike:
Folding Saw;
Mora fixed-blade knife.

Kahtoola Microspikes for ice and snow;
Snowshoes (as well as the Microspikes) and gaiters for deep snow, e.g. Canada winter;
Ice axe in steep terrain.
(Could have done with some snow goggles two or three times this winter.)

In bear country a holster and bear spray attached to the RHS of my hip belt.

My base layer is a short or long-sleeved Merino T, a pair of Mammut Tights, a thin and thick pair of socks, and Meindl hiking boots.

According to the hike/season/weather/inclination any or all of:
Buffalo Special 6 Mountain Shirt;
Buffalo Pile Mitts;
Silk Gloves;
Silk Balaclava;
Lowe Mountain Cap;
Rohan Neck Gaiter;
Rab Gilet;
Buffalo Windshirt;
Rohan Cagoule (mid-thigh length);
Goretex overtrousers;
Baseball Cap;
Hiking Poles.

If hiking in new terrain I'll have a map and/or GPS unit. (I try to remember to take one or the other when hiking in familiar terrain in case I have to talk to the emergency services as it's much easier for them for me to give a grid ref than try to explain I'm half-way along the south side of Big Lake.)

I prefer a water bottle to a bladder as I can more easily see how much water I'm drinking, and it's certainly easier to replenish from my other water filter, a Katadyn (not pictured). I also "charge up" at the trailhead by drinking 0.5L of water, or thereabouts, so I start the hike with a full load of water whilst already being well hydrated. The bottles live in the side pouches of my pack so the downside is that the water does get chilled in winter.

So, I think the key things here are
I can filter and replenish my water;
I can light a fire in three ways at least, and fatwood is seemingly waterproof; also fine shavings of it will take a spark from a firesteel;
I can make a warm drink or three;
I can rig a tarp shelter from, or get in the, Jerven Bag, which could be filled with leaves, heather, bracken to improve the quantity of captive still air.

Last edited:
my gear selection also depends on where i am and what i plan to do, but my edc shoulder bag (made by a member of this forum) goes with me wherever i go. contents: firekit( traditional japanese steel, flint/ quartz, charcloth/charred punkwood, magnifying glass, some fatwod and jute twine, matches in waterproof container etc.), basic FAK, pencil, paper, TP:rolleyes:, camera, slingshot +6 .42cal leadballs, titanium spoon, whetstone, opinel #10, silky pocketboy130mm, 10m x4mm rapelling cord (== for short-distance "" abseiling""), more cord, torch, pocket camera

neckknife, whistle and small mirror around my neck

500ml ss bottle (with "clip" for hanging over fire)

fallkniven F1 on my homemade baldric/shoulder holster; walking stick when im walking, headtorch whenever theres a possibility it gets dark before im back; toolbelt with skinning knife, leatherman supertool(+ bitset, hack saw blade 3concrete nails), nata ,small pouch with bandaids, micro fire kit and button compass when condition allow it as well

these things are my basics and go with me whereever i go.

the rest depends on activity and terrain: in northern OZ i add several litres of water during dry season (wet season would require different gear but its not the time for long distance hikes), drinking water is usual not hard to come by in the mountains in NZ, Japan and Korea so I carry only what i need;
if i take a daypack as well it contains extra clothing, poncho, food and usually camera #2 and some extra gear to "play around"

i had several occassions over the years where trips took an unexpected turn but so far i always made it back before dark-- except one time when i found myself stranded ( like many others) in the ferry terminal in Tsushima when the ferry got cancelled due a storm. we got sleeping bags provided by the ferry company but i got me thinking-- hence my question in post #25......:eek:

Last edited:
forrestdweller, thanks for posting in such detail about your kit. Gotta love that F1!!! :)

- Woodsorrel

you're welcome:eek: -- it's not the perfect solution and has still room for improvement, but so far it works for me.....
and yes: i do love my F1-- since it was gifted to me it has become my main knife ( replacing my almost-sacred puma "" outdoor palmwood"" in this role):rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I will remove this post later today, and keep the discussion tidy, but the thread has been lightly Moderated to remove talk of firearms.
I have advised the writer that such discussion belongs in Fair Game since that gives folks a heads up that opening a thread there ought to be done with an awareness of the situation…..i.e. not in schools, colleges, public libraries and suchlike.
It's simply a different culture.

In removing those posts I had to tidy up those made by other members too. I hope this post explains what happened to their responses :)

Kind regards,
Toddy

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Some really good advice here.
We need to bear in mind that even warm summer days can get chilly at night - it is a balmy 23C out there now, but 8C at night and thunderstorms forecast. Out on the open ground, 8C and wet with wind is enough to get hypothermic. I like the idea of a cheap bin liner as an emergency cover - cutting the windchill. That's cheap and easy to carry.
Even someone fit and experienced can have a fall, break something and end up stuck.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Some really good advice here.
We need to bear in mind that even warm summer days can get chilly at night - it is a balmy 23C out there now, but 8C at night and thunderstorms forecast. Out on the open ground, 8C and wet with wind is enough to get hypothermic. I like the idea of a cheap bin liner as an emergency cover - cutting the windchill. That's cheap and easy to carry.
Even someone fit and experienced can have a fall, break something and end up stuck.

We're in a cool snap right now; tonight's forecast low = 66f (18.9c) Should be back to normal (warmer) temps with the lows above 75f (23.9c) before the end of the week. Once we're deeper into the Summer it'll warm up more

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
One thing I have been tought, is to behave "safely".
Never walk into an unknown area without prior knowledge, like at least a good map and compass.
To behave, so no running, swimming across fast flowing rivers.
To use a walking stick.

You guys are familiar with Bear Grylls.
Something he does in most of his programmes witch are suicidal in real life: is to ingest questionable food and liquids, and my biggest gripe with him, to jog or run in terrain.

A broken ankle can turn a leisurely mushroom picking stroll into a bad survival situation.

Jun 13, 2016
London
Ray Mears over Bear Grills any day of the week. In the Grills survival team you'd be throwing yourself into cold water and eating bugs. In team Mears he'd be asking you how you like your venison steak and if you wanted the fire a little warmer!

Top posts with the gear, zip ties I'd never thought about adding those into the day pack but a few will be going in now.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Ray Mears over Bear Grills any day of the week. In the Grills survival team you'd be throwing yourself into cold water and eating bugs. In team Mears he'd be asking you how you like your venison steak and if you wanted the fire a little warmer!

Top posts with the gear, zip ties I'd never thought about adding those into the day pack but a few will be going in now.

With Bear Grylls you stay in nice hotels but with Ray you sleep rough and get mosquito bitten.
:)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ray Mears over Bear Grills any day of the week. In the Grills survival team you'd be throwing yourself into cold water and eating bugs......

Actually I like eating bugs: shrimp, crawfish, crabs, lobster, etc.

Crawfish
crawfish-boil-8400009rca-ss.jpg

Shrimp
211531.jpg

Blue Crabs
EM2A39_30633_s4x3_lg.jpg

Fried softshell crab PoBoy
2531789132_d25ea56e2d_z.jpg

Lobster
129846417.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE