Will your day pack save your life??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I've been reading some really interesting real life stories by normal people like you and I who have been caught out in the wilderness and had to tough it out. Here is the one story which caught my attention:

http://www.equipped.org/032015survive.htm

Have a think. How many times have I parked the car and bimbled off? it got me thinking. We all carry gear on day trips, but if we were benighted for some reason, lost, too dark etc, would the gear that you carry on a day tripget you through the night without you suffering? I'm thinking of spending a night out with just my hip pack and normal contents, just to see..... thoughts anyone?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well I have a big old orange survival bag slipped down the back panels of both my day packs. I wouldn't expect to be comfortable but should keep the wind and rain off enough to avoid hypothermia. Beyond that it's just standard day pack stuff that I'd take on any walk. Torch, small fak, water bottles, lunch, extra mid layer, waterproofs, compass and map, mobile, pocket knife, edit: forgot whistle and a lighter. I expect that lot would see me through most situations in this country.

Last edited:

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Very interesting indeed - thanks for posting.

I can't search for it right now, but I recall our own John Fenna posting a photo report of a night he'd spent out with some sort of pocket survival kit. Might be worth looking up?

Sent from my E2003 using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I often get laughed at for the amount of gear I take on even short walks - now I have vindication!
My training as a "Mountain Leader" and "Survival Instructor" (long story - Micky Mouse "Survival School"...) "Expedition Leader" and "Scout Leader" etc all emphasized the "Be Prepared" ethos and I used to play games of "Lets pretend we have been benighted with only our day kit" both solo and with my Scouts and Venture Scouts...
It could pay off one of these days!
@ DarK Horse Dave - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115088&page=2&highlight=john+Fenna+pocket Playtime!
The photos have all gone ... and some random ones have appeared in the article!

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I too am in the habit of taking my small daypack with me almost every time I go away from the house or car. Apart from anything I might need, (and often have needed), I couldn't count the number of times I've been called upon to come to the help of others.

Yup, it's "Be Prepared" ethos for me!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I would survive a few days. In hunger, thirst and discomfort.
My day pack is basically nothing. But the likelihood for getting lost is zero, as I only make day trips in known areas. Fishing, picking mushrooms. Walking just for fun.

barbourdurham, I hike solo in remote areas. My daypack has enough gear so I can spend an "unplanned night out" instead of finding myself in a survival situation. It provides for shelter, water, fire, and signaling. I begrudge carrying the extra weight. But I understand the need to be prepared.

Here's another "survival" tale that does not end as well as the one in your link. But it is fascinating because the hiker was "experienced" and physically fit. In this particular case, the contents of her daypack greatly affected the outcome...

Hypothermia Claims Another Hiker

I believe that these stories have much to teach us. We should periodically remind ourselves so we are careful and do not become complacent in the outdoors.

- Woodsorrel

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Like Janne said, i could "survive" a few days with nothing. At least as long as there are no traumatic injuries, heart attacks, or other medical emergencies requiring immediate attention. Especially this time of year when hypothermia is a memory rather than a threat; that said, heat exhaustion/heat stroke are very real threats now.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Twice. Deer hunting in the mountains in early winter (November.) Both started as glorious fine days with unlimited visibility. Recognizable landmarks all over.
Mix of forest patches and logged off open slopes. Typical mountain weather, it began to snow and got heavier by the minute. No way to predict the end.
Now, there are no landmarks, visibility is maybe 25 yards.

Might as well go out to the road, find the truck and go home. I knew that I had walked west from the road.

Which direction might that be?

Stash both pack and rifle under a dense spruce tree, fish out the compass and walk out into the open.
Facing what my guts told me was north, open the compass. Compass showed that I was facing due west.
Check again, shoulder my things and walk east to the road, truck and home.

I had a butane cannister stove, pot, some space blankets and a bunch of chocolate bars. Firewood was abundant. Could have spent the night.
Why that place, I don't know. Both times, no more than 5 miles apart.

Good enough area. Nailed a 4pt buck 8AM, Nov.15, the last morning of the season.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The largest danger of dying winterime is that after a long hike you stop to rest, get chilled down, feel sleepy and die.
Almost happened to me many years ago, what saved me was that people looked for me as ai did not return when I should.

Tought me to never take a rest in a bad situation but keep on going.
After that I always carried amfetamine tablets in addition to the Adrenaline and Histamine auto injectors I have to carry as I am highly allergic to bee and wasp toxin.

Touch wood, never had to use any.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The largest danger of dying winterime is that after a long hike you stop to rest, get chilled down, feel sleepy and die......

In winter, yes. This is June though; daytime highs here are in the high 90s with the nightly lows in the mid 60s and up. And we're still a long way from the heat of the Summer dog days.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
But the first post was in mid March?
Summertime it is easy to survive a few days longer trip than expected, unless you are found by something hungry higher up in the food pyramid!

What I mean is the article on the www.equipped.org was about a case in mid march.

Janne, I think local conditions play a large role in what you carry in your daypack. You are correct that in many places it is easier to survive an unexpected night out in summer. Even in summertime, cooler night temperatures can combine with precipitation to threaten the unprepared.

I tailor the contents of my daypack seasonally, based on my knowledge of local weather conditions. But later this summer, I will explore a wilderness area with which I'm unfamiliar. It's temperate rain forest. I will augment my daypack with extra gear because of my lack of familiarity with the area and its weather.

Even in summer, it pays to be prepared. The choices you make before you arrive at the trailhead can affect the outcome of your trip.

- Woodsorrel

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Janne, Even in summertime, cooler night temperatures can combine with precipitation to threaten the unprepared.

Even in summer, it pays to be prepared. The choices you make before you arrive at the trailhead can affect the outcome of your trip.

- Woodsorrel

I couldn't agree more buddy!

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
barbourdurham, I hike solo in remote areas. My daypack has enough gear so I can spend an "unplanned night out" instead of finding myself in a survival situation. It provides for shelter, water, fire, and signaling. I begrudge carrying the extra weight. But I understand the need to be prepared.

Here's another "survival" tale that does not end as well as the one in your link. But it is fascinating because the hiker was "experienced" and physically fit. In this particular case, the contents of her daypack greatly affected the outcome...

Hypothermia Claims Another Hiker

I believe that these stories have much to teach us. We should periodically remind ourselves so we are careful and do not become complacent in the outdoors.

- Woodsorrel

woodsorrel

i also carry enough gear that, like you, if i was caught out, i would be fine i think. i really dont like the thought of suffering the cold, discomfort etc even if it is just for one night!

Being ultralight, or as light as possible, is in everyones plan to some extent I think. But ultralight shouldnt be at the expense of being safe in the environment. Sometimes my pack feels a little too heavy for what I'm doing, fishing, wandering, foraging etc, but I always remind myself that if i were benighted, then I will at the very minimum be able to provide myself with shelter, warmth, water, food, light and a basic medical pack if required.

The biggest challenge most people have to overcome if suddenly benighted is fear. I understand that for most in this forum, being unexpectantly out over night would be seen as a brillant experience and a chance to practise our skills and knowledge of the forest and bush. By carrying suitable equipment, regardless of the point of your trip, then that will go some way to overcoming your fear?

Last edited:
... i also carry enough gear that, like you, if i was caught out, i would be fine i think. i really dont like the thought of suffering the cold, discomfort etc even if it is just for one night!...

Being ultralight, or as light as possible, is in everyones plan to some extent I think. But ultralight shouldnt be at the expense of being safe in the environment. Sometimes my pack feels a little too heavy for what I'm doing...

The biggest challenge most people have to overcome if suddenly benighted is fear... By carrying suitable equipment, regardless of the point of your trip, then that will go some way to overcoming your fear.

Well said, barbourdurham! We're on the same page with regard to carrying equipment to comfortably (and safely) weather an unplanned night out.

- Woodsorrel

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
That is ehy I always carry means to make a fire. A Bic lighter.
There is no need to go overboard with equipment in summer. Please note that I did most if my hiking in Scandinavia.

The biggest danger is getting wet. Even with a fire you will get cold.
I always carry a black plastic bag type bin liner, one of those thin good quality ones. Well packed it takes no space at all. Make a serviceable poncho it it rains and will be nice and cosy ( plus water tight) as a sleeping bag if you need to overnight.

For longer treks when I had a back pack on, I always used One of those binliner bags to line the backpack inside, plus have a couple of spares.
Even a goid quality backpack can start leaking in rain, and the bag will keep the content dry.

When I was young, able and crazy I used to do week long walkabouts in the forest, and had to swim across water. The backpack with a sealed black plastic bag inside ( just a piece of string) made a nice flotation device of the back pack.

Rdit: I forgot to mrntion that the clothes you wear ate important. Dad tought me to dress for the coldest and wettest condition for that season.
Personally I always have with me a Helly Hansen zip up jumper. It is part of my forest clothes, always with me. A 10 minute walk, a day trip, it is with me.
When sunny and warm, the jumper can be worn across the shoulders. Nice to sit on. Nice to be warm in ehen it gets chilly.

Janne, I think local conditions play a large role in what you carry in your daypack. You are correct that in many places it is easier to survive an unexpected night out in summer. Even in summertime, cooler night temperatures can combine with precipitation to threaten the unprepared.

I tailor the contents of my daypack seasonally, based on my knowledge of local weather conditions. But later this summer, I will explore a wilderness area with which I'm unfamiliar. It's temperate rain forest. I will augment my daypack with extra gear because of my lack of familiarity with the area and its weather.

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE