Will this tree survive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
Hi,

This was the remains of one of two fires I found on Sunday morning in my local woods:

P1050092b.jpg

P1050094b.jpg

I guess you'll have similar feelings to me about this.

It's probably hard to tell from the photos but does anyone have a feeling as to whether the tree will survive?

Cheers,

Tom

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
It is incredibly unlikely. I am an arboricultural consultant and I have seen quite a few trees like this. The wood that transports the water and nutrients aroundf the tree has been compromised and the root structure looks severly damaged. The tree is now open to all sorts of pathogens like fungi and bacteria which wait around for an oppertunity just like this.

Anyone who does somethng like this is scum.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
It is a real shame, but there are lots of people with shiny Gransfors axes who would love to fell it, before or after the fire.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have seen old beech trees survive more of a chimp beating than this but fingers crossed. Always amazes me that chimps light fires right next to a tree??? Just cant fathom it even when trying to think like a chimp...

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
Here's the other site, about 50m from the first. When I found this there was someone still slumped next to it. They were so out of it there really wasn't any point in discussing the matter. It was still smouldering this morning (48 hours later) at the base of the trunk.

P1050089B.jpg

To give you a sense of scale the tree (a fir I believe) is approx 1m in diameter. How old I wonder?

P1050091B.jpg

If ever I needed a reminder of the potential implications of not putting a fire out properly this is it. There are several other small areas to the left where the fire has resurfaced also. I dumped another 10l of water on it today so hopefully that's it.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
There was a tree near me that suffered this way. It survived, until the Council cut it down, that is :(

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
There was a tree near me that suffered this way. It survived, until the Council cut it down, that is :(

they would have cut it down for a good reason. fire damage like Andy b said will give easy access to fungus and such. the fungus will weaken the tree and make it a hazard.
better to cut it down now than let it fall on someone’s house, into a road etc.

many just don't understand this, we have had people in tears screaming hysterically when we have to cut down dangerous trees.

Pete

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
they would have cut it down for a good reason. fire damage like Andy b said will give easy access to fungus and such. the fungus will weaken the tree and make it a hazard.
better to cut it down now than let it fall on someone’s house, into a road etc.

many just don't understand this, we have had people in tears screaming hysterically when we have to cut down dangerous trees.

Pete

I don't doubt that it was weakened as a result of more than one fire around the base, still sad to see it go though, and if idiots had not been lighting fires around it, it might still be here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE