Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
I walk the dog around there all the time infact I have just got back from there I live up on Harrasmoor. I noticed they left a big stump which would be useful as a cutting block if I could get it to the car:)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I walk the dog around there all the time infact I have just got back from there I live up on Harrasmoor. I noticed they left a big stump which would be useful as a cutting block if I could get it to the car:)
There are a few blocks lying around on there I have thought the same about.

I used to walk my dog over there regularly before he got too old.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Ages seems to catch up with them quickly once it sets in. if you fancy a block your self I'll help you get it to your car if you could do the same for me :)

Age overtook in him December at 16.

I do not need a chopping block I have two small ones already:rolleyes:
I would help you though.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
This is a video I shot this afternoon while out for a walk on the beach with my wife. I was having play shooting barnacles etc with my 60 macro lens when I saw something on a rockpool surface which not everyone would spot. This rockpool is regularly under deep water or battered by waves but this species Anurida maritima lives in the intertidal zone. My first spot of a springtail on the beach

Rockpool springtail video by Alf Branch, on Flickr

You need to click on the picture the link will open Flickr and play the video.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The typical marine intertidal sprintails are Anurida maritima (which is a non-jumping springtail) and Isotoma maritimus, which does jump. That looks like Anurida to me.

Since nobody seems to be reading my blog (Hint!), and Turnstone is suggesting there are too many bug pictures on here (;)), here are some cute and fluffy pictures instead.

Water voles. Picked up by the tail and given a stick to grasp, hence the unnatural looking shots. Taken as part of a vole release program at a local nature reserve.

9720310146_20c669aeeb_b.jpg

9717072537_5a748f7150_b.jpg

9720300598_b0df9ef132_b.jpg

9717064113_eac0949841_b.jpg

9717058251_1384bf656c_b.jpg

9720283014_cd1d6e908d_b.jpg

And here's a bad shot of an established vole at a feeding platform. My only 'wild' vole picture.
9789127625_7b34da981c_b.jpg

I am thinking cute and fluffy is what I need right now to go with the promise of spring in the air today. Actually I have been looking at some of the photos you have posted here in this thread, and they are rather good, to the point they brought a smile to my face, and that is a really good thing trust me :)

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The typical marine intertidal sprintails are Anurida maritima (which is a non-jumping springtail) and Isotoma maritimus, which does jump. That looks like Anurida to me.

Thanks Mike the thats the third ID for Anurida maritima I need to get some time to go back with my macro gear and a memory card :eek: I saw quite a few on a pool about 10 yards from this at the edge of the tide which was only just out of the tide.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I am thinking cute and fluffy is what I need right now to go with the promise of spring in the air today. Actually I have been looking at some of the photos you have posted here in this thread, and they are rather good, to the point they brought a smile to my face, and that is a really good thing trust me :)

Excellent Lynn. Anything that helps the mood is a good thing. There are some wonderful pictures on BCUK and lots of interesting reading too. Good to have you here.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Here are my latest shots over the last week or so of macro I will start with springtails

This is a group of sprintails at a watering hole after a brief shower onmy bin.

Springtails at the watering hole by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Some individuals

Springtails Katiannidae by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This one is from today and is absolutely tiny maybe 0.2mm a massive crop I am tube down atm So 60 mm lens 26 mm of tubes and the raynox I only shot this wondering if this was hoverfly larvae

Tiny springtail by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Another tough shot from today as these never stop when they are out in teh open

Sminthurinus niger by Alf Branch, on Flickr

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE