Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well, obviously. I could have told you that. :rolleyes:

I wondered if it was something like that (the signalling), but didn't know for sure, so thank you for clarifying. The wing stabiliser I would never have thought of though.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Another vole picture

9842737193_8f35a81f79_b.jpg

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I took this photo many months ago, but I just felt like posting it here. I'm not a photographer and, believe it or not, I didn't even how to shoot macro until I learned it in Spring. It's only been recently that I got a half decent camera.

I haven't taken many photos like this, but of the few I've taken this is probably my favourite.

9AELAMb.jpg

Thoughts?

Edit: It's not like I had a special technique for this. I just focused and snapped.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
1. is a 4 spot spider, Araneus quadratus.
2. I'm still trying to get my head around. My brain is refusing to 'see' the image. I can see a spider leg, but not the spider.
3. I wanted to say this is a Metid, but the web is wrong, so it is a Theridiid, one of the comb-foot spiders, probably a Theridion of some sort. can't identify for sure from a picture.
4. Really is a Metid, one of the false orb weavers. Metellina sp. Again, not possibly to say for certain.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Mike they are 4 individuals I am not out to trick anyone with this stuff. I would like to know what they are with no tricks.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Well, I'm happy with my answer for 1 and 3. 2 is an Aranieid of some description, but I can't see it clearly to say which one. Abdominal patterns are they key in that group, and I just can't see it.
I'm uncomfortable with my answer to 4, as it doesn't feel quite right. Something about it. Might be another Theridion, but again it is the wrong angle to tell.

The three groups involved, Araneus, Theridion and Metellina, are some of the commonest spiders in the UK, and some of the most tricky to separate from a photo if you don't see them from the right angle.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Niels, that is an orb weaver of the genus Larinioides. they are distinguished by having patterns of white hairs on the carapace. That isn't the common one, L.cornutus. I strongly suspect it is L. sclopetarius, which it associated with making webs on man-made structures near water. It is only rarely found on vegetation. I found one on a metal gate next to a canal last night. Very nice picture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE