Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Aaah, again these creatures with 6 leggs :pokenest:
Great picture, hornets are really impressive animals. We had a nest on the house once (and I managed to get stung while taking pictures at the nest), but this year I haven't seen many of them.

Another mammal, it's an old picture from 2005 when visiting the Pasterze glacier below the Grossglockner in the Austrian Alps. The Marmots there are wild, but used to tourists so no problem getting a nice picture.
Marmot.jpg

Excellent. And as everyone knows, marmots are the most closely related mammal to elephants (of mammals not extinct, that is).

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Found a hornet's next yesterday. Took this today.

You're brave! Or do you have a good telephoto? Lovely pic though. I've been collecting up apples and have had a few close encounters with these guys lately. Ntohing like turning over an apple to find it full of wasps or hornets :pokenest:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
You're brave! Or do you have a good telephoto? Lovely pic though. I've been collecting up apples and have had a few close encounters with these guys lately. Ntohing like turning over an apple to find it full of wasps or hornets :pokenest:

No bravery involved. They are placid beasties. I was stood next to the tree today, with them zooming past in all directions. Never felt threatened.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's them. Only hornet in the UK. One flew to a moth trapping light last month. Makes you jump when this huge thing drones in out of the darkness and flies past your face.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
So here you go, found some critters with more than 4 legs!

Hornet in the garden, eating fruit
Hornet.jpg

Wasp spider in our greenhouse, with eggs. Taken several years ago, and have never seen one again :(
Waspspider.jpg

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
So here you go, found some critters with more than 4 legs!

Hornet in the garden, eating fruit
Hornet.jpg

Wasp spider in our greenhouse, with eggs. Taken several years ago, and have never seen one again :(
Waspspider.jpg

Love the hornet picture.

The wasp spider in that pic has an egg ball, which means she would have died shortly afterwards. Looks like the youngsters didn't make it if you haven't seen any since, although greenhouses are not their natural habitat.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Well I can't compete with those Brancho. Nonetheless I shall share with you this dragonfly I saw today:

Wonder what that fly is eating.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Everybody's pics are so good at the moment, love the dragonfly Niels. Was wondering if Harvestman could tell us what the rectangular dark sections at their wing tips do?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Yes I wonder that too, but I suspect Harvestman doesn't have a clue, :rolleyes:

Ah, but google has a clue:

The most obvious feature of a clear, unpatterned wing is the stigma, located on the leading edge of each wing out towards the wingtips. It is thought that the stigma may be used for signaling mates or rivals and may also act as a tiny weight that dampens wing vibrations.

http://www.mndragonfly.org/defined.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE