Wilderness Gathering Suggestion Box

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Maybe it’s just me being an old grump, but on returning from the Wilderness Gathering I felt a few tricks have been missed. (We went on Friday) It’s likely I’m going to take some stick for being honest, but I know some people will agree with my points too. I don’t wish to cause a heated argument by posting this thread: I’m passionate about bushcraft and the outdoors and want events like this to survive. I simply want to share my observations and offer at least a suggested hint to the organisers, that things could (need to) improve.

• The food tent was overpriced and dead boring. Dry Bison burgers, very expensive jacket potatoes and some soup was all that was on the menu. (That said the cake and tea tent was a real winner with our family)

• The beer tent could be brilliant if there was more atmosphere and choice. 1 type of cider and 1 type of beer seemingly abandoned on a trestle table probably doesn’t do it for most of the punters at this event. Imagine what a killing you could make with such a large captive audience of predominantly fun-loving blokes! A bit of live folk music could “gee” things up a bit too. There also is never anywhere to sit near the food/beer tents when it’s wet. Try doing that with an 8 year old and an 11 month old.

• My 8 year old was twiddling her thumbs in no time. There isn’t really much for kids to do when you compare this to the Trowbridge Village Pump Festival’s Kids’ Tent. The same activities were repeated this year and half the kids seemed to have boycotted organised events and were playing their own games in the barn near the farm shop. There also was very little for kids to spend their pocket money on. My daughter ended up with some very nice fudge and that was pretty much all that was in her budget.

• Demonstrations and talks etc were pretty thin on the ground (considering the possible oversaturation of Bushcraft training companies at the WG). The poor blokes from these companies mainly looked bored or were just networking/chatting with each other making it difficult for punters to get information off them. There are always lovely surprises in the form of homemade crafts/leather/wood/knives etc, but in the main it seemed the traders were cashing in big time. Some of the bog standard stock items were being sold at prices higher than the internet, considering postage doesn’t need to be charged at the event and all the punters paid high entry and camping fees. Bit cheeky I thought.

If you want my honest opinion: I don’t think we as a family will be back next year which is a shame as we believe passionately that the outdoors is where true learning is achieved. Through activities such as bushcraft our flora and fauna stands a better chance and quite frankly our kids stand a better chance too. With exceptions, I think the Wilderness Gathering has become a retail event without any atmosphere or vibe.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i agree with a couple of bits, i thought rabbit and such would have sold well at a place like that, and wasnt at the beer tent but sounds like you are right in what you say, however boycotting the event is not the way to go if you want it to improve. you can say what you want to happen, but it doesnt get it done. get involved and help out to make it better if you feel it needs to be better.

i also agree the fudge was very nice.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
If your concerns are genuine contact the event organisers. Posting a thread and hoping they will read it i'm sure wont get anywhere near the same response/influence compared to a letter or email detailing your concerns to the organisers. Im fairly certain that any constructive criticisum would be well received

i think that some of your comments are valid espesially for a Day visitor

the WG really is at its best as a full weekend where you an spend time at all the bits as well as relaxing in the woods doing your own thing exchanging ideas and fun with your neigbours

the beer tent isnt really a beer tent its the Cider mans Stall which hes had to massivly upgrade each year to try not running out of cider daily so you would expect him to sell cider etc

i aggree i still cant bring myself to pay for a bison burger we usully buy soem bison mince from the farn shop and cook up a big Chilli in the woods to share with those around us while practicing Bowdrill, string making spoon carving teaching and learning from each other whjile a great atmosphere round the fire continues with a beer or 3 till the early hours (luckly it was only 2am this year for me having to get to the stall in the morning )

ATB

Duncan

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Hi

I also went and had a great time but...!

1) I agree with the Food tent being over priced and did not have food there but did have some excellent cake at the other stall! :)

2) Beer tent- I am in two minds. If it got to big would it become to rowdy and loose the family feel that the WG is meant to have? But could be a god place to meet people.

3) I do not have kids so cant comment but I did see lots of Scouts taking part and practicing skills.

4) Demos- sadly I did not go to any and should have done. As for the price of the shops I personally thought there was a wide range. Not sure about prices- dont have that app on my phone :)

I nearly missed the shops at the top of the field - deer park? and some better signage may be needed.

I am looking at the WG from a different viewpoint as Heltorchasca as he has family. But I think I will be going next year.

I did find everyone very nice and helpful both the staff and my fellow bushcrafters.

Trojan

Oct 3, 2006
Bedfordshire
Really interesting and good to see some well rounded comments and observations about the Wilderness Gathering here.

We attend every year and this year ran both coil basketry workshops, and making deer from willow and camels from soft rush with the coyote kids, all of which we felt were well recieved. We were also selling our kit and courses and had special offers on, but I would ask that please don't feel that all of that money goes in our pockets! For example if you sell a well known piece of kit (I am being diplomatic!) for £50 on your stall, being small businesses with little purchasing power, maybe only £10 goes in your pocket, you have to sell a lot of stuff to put food on your plate! You should have seen our guys after each day of trading, they we're exhausted from talking and demonstrating but they soldiered on as you have too as we want to provide a great experience.

From a traders perspective we put a huge amount of energy and effort into making the information we pass over fun and informative, learning new skills, and trying to supply good quality kit as an honest person running an honest business trying to earn a living and provide work for other people, (our instructors), and so if this can be improved I would personally welcome your suggestions either in an open format on this forum or direct via contact on my email/telephone

I cannot speak for Roger and Dominic but I completely 100% agree with Will, pop your comments over to them and I am sure they would welcome suggestions. In my experience you can always approach the people that pull these things together, get involved and try and help, Roger and Dominic are great guys, again trying to earn and honest living in hard times as we all do. Personally I would support anyone trying to pull an event such as this together to have a great weekend so I am sure if you approached them they would appreciate it and would welcome your suggestions.

I hope my two peneth helps
Kind regards
Jason

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
Maybe it’s just me being an old grump, but on returning from the Wilderness Gathering I felt a few tricks have been missed. (We went on Friday) It’s likely I’m going to take some stick for being honest, but I know some people will agree with my points too. I don’t wish to cause a heated argument by posting this thread: I’m passionate about bushcraft and the outdoors and want events like this to survive. I simply want to share my observations and offer at least a suggested hint to the organisers, that things could (need to) improve.

• The food tent was overpriced and dead boring. Dry Bison burgers, very expensive jacket potatoes and some soup was all that was on the menu. (That said the cake and tea tent was a real winner with our family)

• The beer tent could be brilliant if there was more atmosphere and choice. 1 type of cider and 1 type of beer seemingly abandoned on a trestle table probably doesn’t do it for most of the punters at this event. Imagine what a killing you could make with such a large captive audience of predominantly fun-loving blokes! A bit of live folk music could “gee” things up a bit too. There also is never anywhere to sit near the food/beer tents when it’s wet. Try doing that with an 8 year old and an 11 month old.

• My 8 year old was twiddling her thumbs in no time. There isn’t really much for kids to do when you compare this to the Trowbridge Village Pump Festival’s Kids’ Tent. The same activities were repeated this year and half the kids seemed to have boycotted organised events and were playing their own games in the barn near the farm shop. There also was very little for kids to spend their pocket money on. My daughter ended up with some very nice fudge and that was pretty much all that was in her budget.

• Demonstrations and talks etc were pretty thin on the ground (considering the possible oversaturation of Bushcraft training companies at the WG). The poor blokes from these companies mainly looked bored or were just networking/chatting with each other making it difficult for punters to get information off them. There are always lovely surprises in the form of homemade crafts/leather/wood/knives etc, but in the main it seemed the traders were cashing in big time. Some of the bog standard stock items were being sold at prices higher than the internet, considering postage doesn’t need to be charged at the event and all the punters paid high entry and camping fees. Bit cheeky I thought.

If you want my honest opinion: I don’t think we as a family will be back next year which is a shame as we believe passionately that the outdoors is where true learning is achieved. Through activities such as bushcraft our flora and fauna stands a better chance and quite frankly our kids stand a better chance too. With exceptions, I think the Wilderness Gathering has become a retail event without any atmosphere or vibe.

Thanks for your comments Heltorchasca(didn't get your real name )

Firstly I must answer your comments on the food. There was an extensive menu available at all meal times. Even though the catering is not down to me I personally recall, various combinations of breakfast rolls available, goat curry, veggie chilli, Venison stew, chips and sausages all listed on the menu.

We are not interested in creating an alcohol based music festival, if that's what you want try Glastonbury. We are happy to have one drinks provider selling beer and cider, who is an organic (cider) producer and a small local business, the type we like to support.

Each year we expand on the childrens activities and have had to even divide the age groups up into primary and secondary school ages. There were activities going on all weekend for all ages both at static displays and at various locations around the site all well advertised on the many notices around the site and anounced on the PA system. There will always be children who aren't interested in our activities who will run free, that I'm afraid we can't help.

Demonstrations and events: There were five classroom/meeting points running at least four activities/workshops a day plus various others all around the site all as listed in advance on the website that you may or may not have been aware of. There were night time classes on tracking in the dark plus evenings around the campfire with story telling and sing songs.

Prices charged by traders, up to you where to spend your money.

All in all I find it hard to quantify your comments, but do appreciate your feedback and assure you that we strive to make a better Wilderness Gathering for all of our customers,traders and schools every year.

Roger
www.wildernessgathering.co.uk

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've been demonstrating at shows for the best part of a decade now and I can safely say that no matter how well thought out and put together they are, there will always be things that people feel could be better. After all, you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Some traders will always vary their prices from any online or high street presence. I've known many who put a premium onto things when they have a captive audience at a show; but equally you will find some that have special offers just at the shows. I don't adjust my prices but there are things on my table that you won't find me advertising for sale anywhere else (like the keyrings, materials, artistic ironwork, etc).

I've never eaten lots from the stands at shows since they are always pricey (and sometimes not very good), it's universal that one! That said, if there are unique dishes (such as the rare breeds at the bison farm) on offer then i will have at least one meal there. I think the cider man has it about right with his set up and he seemed to have enough on offer to please people around the show (I saw a lot of milk bottles with funny looking stuff in!), but maybe another tent with a table in it wouldn't go amiss? We have enough talented musicians amongst us who often entertain small groups spontaneously, maybe I've just found myself at the right campfires at the right time there :eek:

All in all I think the WG is pretty good and it's well organised on the whole. The commercial nature of the schools is down to the fact that there are just so many of them all trying to swing votes their way. Makes me glad that I'm not yet another bushcraft school with the same kit to flog to the same few people!

One improvement I would suggest, if I may Roger, is to give whoever lays the pitches a proper tape measure and not an elastic one. I know some traders were struggling to fathom how their paid for frontage was orientated. I personally ask for a certain size from a safety point of view. My stall/set up is probably the most dangerous there (aside from the axes and archery) and I NEED at least one meter fire break all around my 4 meter stand. :campfire: :yikes: :nono:

Another year over and I hope that everyone that went will be back next year. I know I will (if I'm allowed :surrender: )

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
This was my third year at the show and my only gripe would be that there isn't enough (if any?) recycling facilities there.

Glyn

This was our third year at the Wilderness Gathering (and the first with our very new arrival)...

This year, I thought the organisation seem a bit slicker than before, with better traffic control on the way in when we arrived on Thursday.
The toilets seemed less 'clogged' than last year (I think the were emptied every day this year)

This year, we only purchased one hot meal because of the price. We knew it would be expensive, as food is at any festival, but it was still tasty. We took a load of food with us to save some cash.

The cakes and proper coffee were excellent, as was the cider, fudge and ice cream :) And whilst a beer tent would be nice, I can see how it could very easily detract from the family atmosphere of the weekend - much better to sit around the central fire with a bottle and listen to the stories.

For such a green event, it would be nice to see some recycling facilities, and for the Friday events, perhaps a little bit more direction as too where things are happening would be nice.

Oh, and for next year, please can you arrange some sunshine?

Some photos from the weekend can be found here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=72666&id=1448400508&l=d18a52141c

And finally, sorry to everyone who was interrupted by the screaming baby

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Must be my sixth year attending the Gathering.

I have been taking my daughter for the last few years and she has plenty to do. Thanks to all the Coyote Club instructors for that.

Sometimes I dont get to go on courses because they are full or I am teaching but hey there is always another time.

All being well I will be there next year.

George

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
What Dave said summs it up for me , I love the 'gathering' and have been to every one, I think that Roger, Dom and the rest of the staff (me included some years) always do a great job, as for the food , it aint that expensive compared to a music festival and a lot better quality. Roll on next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
When I went around I always saw a lot of activity outside of traders stalls and everyone looked as though they put themselves out to help the public. The main talks were on Sat and Sun though while the instructor guided projects were on Friday.
Even so, we put on an impromptu spoon carving session on Friday that lasted two afternoons!! (Thanks Seorus). There was quite a precentage of kids carving as well. I led the Shadowhawk Night Track which started off with 100+ people and lasted nearly 3 hours! I'm not sure that there wasn't a lot to do.
I thought the organisation was excellent this year as well.
Of course, the gathering is a chance for traders and schools to network as well. As for the prices; well, you expect things to be variable.
I know this is the original posters personal opinion but I think you'll find that this is a minority view.

PatrickM

Nomad
Sep 7, 2005
Glasgow
www.backwoodsurvival.co.uk
HeltorChasca to reply to your comments that "The poor blokes from these companies mainly looked bored or were just networking/chatting with each other making it difficult for punters to get information off them." We had four people including myself manning the Backwoods stand and all we did all day and every day of the event is answer people's questions! We do not sell anything (as I am not interested in being a shop keeper) - we are there to display, educate and hopefully inspire people and we're in the business of communication with the general public.

Its a pity you missed out - but then again practicing your observational skills with your hat over your head is not the way forward.

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
It was my first Wilderness gathering and I'm going back next year.

The portaloos where clean and tidy. Cleaned everyday by the scouts, hats off to them and emptied every day. They could do with more toilet paper as it run out in the morning.
The food seemed reasonably priced. The jacket spuds looked nice. We did eat the venison stew, but didn't like it much. I'm sure some loved it. Loved the stalls, workshops and demos.
I hardly saw my kids which meant they where busy.
I'm glad there was not a big emphasis on alcohol.

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
Well this was my first gathering and to be honest I enjoyed it. I found everyone from those standing in the rain, ( I went Friday) on the entrance and all the stall holders freindly and willing to talk. I also wanted to meet the team from Survival School as I was to spend a weekend with them and they like every other traders were excellent.
Food outlaet was fine although a little on the pricey side but that goes for all outdoor events and it was comparable with many shows I've been to.
A great day see you next year!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Thanks for your comments Heltorchasca(didn't get your real name )

Firstly I must answer your comments on the food. There was an extensive menu available at all meal times. Even though the catering is not down to me I personally recall, various combinations of breakfast rolls available, goat curry, veggie chilli, Venison stew, chips and sausages all listed on the menu.

We are not interested in creating an alcohol based music festival, if that's what you want try Glastonbury. We are happy to have one drinks provider selling beer and cider, who is an organic (cider) producer and a small local business, the type we like to support.

Each year we expand on the childrens activities and have had to even divide the age groups up into primary and secondary school ages. There were activities going on all weekend for all ages both at static displays and at various locations around the site all well advertised on the many notices around the site and anounced on the PA system. There will always be children who aren't interested in our activities who will run free, that I'm afraid we can't help.

Demonstrations and events: There were five classroom/meeting points running at least four activities/workshops a day plus various others all around the site all as listed in advance on the website that you may or may not have been aware of. There were night time classes on tracking in the dark plus evenings around the campfire with story telling and sing songs.

Prices charged by traders, up to you where to spend your money.

All in all I find it hard to quantify your comments, but do appreciate your feedback and assure you that we strive to make a better Wilderness Gathering for all of our customers,traders and schools every year.

Roger
www.wildernessgathering.co.uk

Yup, sounds like typical customer service: we welcome your comments and suggestions and we'll get back to you to tell you we disagree with you, tell you you're wrong, and we'll carry on doing just how we want.
Ho hum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE