Wild Food Scottish Highlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 17, 2011
Portsmouth
Hi guys,

Me and some friends are looking at trekking through the Scottish Highlands at the beginning of August for 3 nights.

I've been looking on various websites, and came across this one a few days ago, i've done lots of searching but haven't really found much.

Basically my question is, 'Can a group of 4 people with very little wild camping/foraging experience (but obviously a lot of reading up/research) live off the land for food for three days whilst hiking through the Scottish Highlands?'

Any answers would be very much appreciated.

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Have you watched 3 hungry boys?

it was a tv show ran by hugh fearnly whittingstall, to cut a long story short 3 boys bet him that they could live off the land on the west coast of scotland for 4 weeks with no money, they only had the campervan hugh gave them, some petrol money ( i presume although it isnt mentioned on the show) and a ferry pass, along with a few basic foods. they managed fairly well working for their food, and not too bad on the fishing, but not so well on the foraging front.

Also if you have little foraging experience my main concern would be that you may eat something thats harmful.

Mar 17, 2011
Portsmouth
Yeah i think it will be nigh on impossible too.
Were hoping for 3 teams of 3-4 people to do it, i think each team should have some basic foods but some of the guys think it should be totally off the land. From what ive been looking at online it doesn't look like the highlands has much to offer (even for someone with lots of experience).

Mar 17, 2011
Portsmouth
Were thinking of loch fishing very much. Im no fishing expert but a couple of guys i'll be with no they're stuff. Wont be taking rods or anything tho, just thinking of using line and hooks. Whats the laws on fishing in lochs, im guessing you'd have to get permission?

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
Were thinking of loch fishing very much. Im no fishing expert but a couple of guys i'll be with no they're stuff. Wont be taking rods or anything tho, just thinking of using line and hooks. Whats the laws on fishing in lochs, im guessing you'd have to get permission?

I feel like a broken record saying this again, but handlines are illegal on all inland waters in the uk (the sea is fine). and yes if you were to use a rod, you would need to get permission.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
if you learn to track you might be able to catch wild haggis at that time of the year.

Not without the land owners permission ;)

This is illegal and theres no night fishing allow.

http://www.snh.org.uk/wildlifecrimeschools/documents/Poaching Leaflet.pdf

http://www.flyfish-scotland.com/scotslaw.htm

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...'Can a group of 4 people with very little wild camping/foraging experience (but obviously a lot of reading up/research) live off the land for food for three days whilst hiking through the Scottish Highlands?'..."

Yes, you can live of the land up there for three days, however you will not be eating nearly enough to keep you healthy and alive for a prolonged period. Just be prepared to starve during your trip and have a slap up meal on day four. :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I know bits of Perthshire where you could easily live off the land for a week or two. If you had the right skills, a wealth of knowledge and were up for breaking a few small laws.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i would be surprised to be honest... like shockingly so...

did you ever catch that series where ed tried to do that in canada? there are much more resources over there and he still basically starved himself to the point of madness....

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I think you are going to have to come to terms with the fact this ain't going to happen. There is a lot of water, which would make super noodles the viable prey.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Or in the late spirng set a haggis trap, lure mating males with the call of the female haggis and hope for some luck- less energy expended than tracking them, which is hard as being eight legged they make only shallow footprints, and following them clockwise round the hills can make you dizzy.

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
With a bit of planning, and provided you don't mind a fish/shellfish diet, I am sure you could do it. You'll be able to catch hill loch trout easily enough, but you'll probably need to take a proper rod and get permission (often free for the asking, or for a nominal fee). If you plan your trip to include shoreline, you can fish for sea fish too, and forage for mussels/winkles/crabs. Or use a set line in the sea for flatties.

It doesn't take much to feed you for three days, and it doesn't take long to catch half a dozen trout or mackerel if you're in the right spot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE