Why Ray mears should be knighted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Does Ray Mears deserve a State award ?

• Yes

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

Howzat for greenliness? :lmao:[/QUOTE]

You may or may not know about all the alternative energy sources we have that most other countries do not.

We use Tidal, wind, solar, bio fuels etc aswell as the gov giving everyone in the country free loft and wall insulation etc. You may be surprised by the number of initiatives taking place in this country.

So, tell me who does more than us if i am wrong?

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
A knighthood/ gong is a nice token of societies appreciation. More constructive to give the man a job and make him a Lord with some direct influence on legislation for the good of the environment.

You get a knighthood for cocking up global businesses for crisakes !

Sir Fred Goodwin
Sir Allen Stanford (allegedly)

Surely Lord Conrad Blacks seat must be empty these days..... hmmm might apply myself, wonder what the expenses are like ?

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
A knighthood/ gong is a nice token of societies appreciation. More constructive to give the man a job and make him a Lord with some direct influence on legislation for the good of the environment.

You get a knighthood for cocking up global businesses for crisakes !

Sir Fred Goodwin
Sir Allen Stanford (allegedly)

Surely Lord Conrad Blacks seat must be empty these days..... hmmm might apply myself, wonder what the expenses are like ?

lord Ray Mears has a nice ring to it...........

well if you're going to apply then I think I will aswell.......if not just for titles sake :D

Believe it or not they are. Especially Charles.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=prince+charles+green+energy&meta=

Mustn't be common knowledge.

I think it is and that he hasn't...So he talks to plants, eats organic now n then but somehow I can't see him or anyone else from that family downsizing to the level that we ordinary folk try to...in order to be a little bit more green. Anyway before this goes too far into politics...and there are stirrings of republics!

About Mr Mears, there's some very good for and against's here...

Apr 6, 2009
leicester
(What i think) what i think is as follows i dont want to harp on about myself BUT. when i was young i came from a family just like rays with very little money and so on, this as you all know is why ray turned to the woods and making his own stuff. I was a watcher when i was young and picked up alot from it like peoples ways and how they act. And how little notice they take of others only intrested in self gain.
Alot of good people come from this back ground such as Mansell and Senna who came from nothing and even put themselves nearly on the streets following there dreams.
But they seem to put so much back for others to follow in there footsteps like Ray i could go on for ever feeling so stongly about these people but i will save you by not.

So vote for our greats and feel proud when they are recognised for the great work they give back.
Paul.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I don't think he grew up poor, just had a love for the woods. I voted yes, but Id say yes on the strength of the work he has done with woodlore and reviving an interest in bushcraf. Im generally not in favour of celebrities getting knighted, but I believe Ray is famous for his subject, not for being Ray. Ie - rockstars often seem to get theirs for being famous , not because their music is any good. The man as at least very good at his subject.
But hey who is to say he hasnt been offered one and turned it down?!

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
He never struck me as the sort of person that wanted attention and a title.

Ummm, he has umpteen TV shows, i would say he doesn't mind a wee bit of attention!

sorry folks, I voted no on this one simply because i think a knighthood should be reserved for really exceptional good work (front line medics, major advances in science, market gardeners ;) etc) but I would say there may be a place for him somewhere on the honours role, an MBE perhaps?

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Ummm, he has umpteen TV shows, i would say he doesn't mind a wee bit of attention!

sorry folks, I voted no on this one simply because i think a knighthood should be reserved for really exceptional good work (front line medics, major advances in science, market gardeners ;) etc) but I would say there may be a place for him somewhere on the honours role, an MBE perhaps?

the poll says "state reward" so that includes MBE, OBE etc!! :D

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I'm not sure he should be considered. but not because the work he does isn't good, it is. but because I feel that the honours system has been cheapened by certain "celebraties" who I feel have done little for the world have recieved knighthoods *coughdavidbeckhamcough* keep the knighthoods for those who have taken part in good works throughout their lifetimes, or who have performed exemplary acts for the country or people within it.

scrubcutter

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2008
Dorset
Hmmm, I thought about this one.

While he deserves the respect and admiration that he has earnt through his work and being a good teacher to one and all I'm not sure that Ray Mears himself would want to accept a knighthood.

Bearing in mind the corrupt nature of the system (especially under 'New Labour', although no party would be any better in government) I think he would object on principle. I know a number of people who were chosen to recieve an MBE for their services refuse it for this reason.

Nice idea but I think the honours system has completey lost its meaning.

However, I'm sure that if we look at the cultures of various indigenous peoples, they have ways of honouring people worthy of such. That would be more in keeping with Mr Mears and I'm sure that would mean much more to him than a government sanctioned piece of PR.

We could come up with our own I guess, perhaps a golden fire stick to go round his neck rather than an MBE thingy, although it wouldn't be very useful.

Scrubbity

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Nope, he hasnt deigned to come to our Bushmoot yet.

Ive never seen him on TV, and his books didnt make as inspirational impression on me as did other writers. (some whom are alive)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
He's a bit young for a Knighthood just yet, it would be vulgar to award now. In the future I would say yes without a doubt. I think Ray's best work is yet to come, as the chap matures and grows.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
He's a bit young for a Knighthood just yet, it would be vulgar to award now. In the future I would say yes without a doubt. I think Ray's best work is yet to come, as the chap matures and grows.

that's intresting rik, hadn't really thought of whats to come!:D:D

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
You may or may not know about all the alternative energy sources we have that most other countries do not.

We use Tidal, wind, solar, bio fuels etc aswell as the gov giving everyone in the country free loft and wall insulation etc. You may be surprised by the number of initiatives taking place in this country.

So, tell me who does more than us if i am wrong?

Tidal Power

Wind Power

Solar Power

Green politics generally

It's clear to me that you have been led up the garden path by the BBC, the dailies and our politicians. Don't believe anything - just keep an open mind.

Here's a good link There are others as well. Google and ye shall find.:)

EDIT:
List of renewable energy topics by country

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
According to the list you posted the only country with more initiatives going for it is the US.

We do have tidal power in the Channel Islands, off Devon and also one in N Ireland.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/2992996.stm

http://www.seageneration.co.uk/media/080402 Post deployment information note.pdf

"The UK has 50% of the entire European tidal energy resource".......Taken from here
http://www.g-can.net/articles/detail.aspx?articleid=25

As for the other things you post. Yes some countries may have more than the UK in individual methods but those countries don't have the other things the UK has going at the same time.

The US seems to have more. So maybe i was off with my statement but the UK is second by your list.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
"The UK has 50% of the entire European tidal energy resource"

That is referring to the available resources in the sea - it is NOT referring to any UK tidal wave power stations - we are NOT using those resources.

All it says that around the UK the tides are greater than elsewhere - not that we are ahead in utilising tidal power.

With regard to "initiatives" - of course we have initiatives because we have just starting doing what others have already done. You mentioned giving away free insulation etc. Other countries don't do that because they don't need to since they do not have such poorly insulated houses. Germany was doing what we are doing NOW, back in the 1970's and 1980's!

We are behind, what we are doing is merely catching up - and in fact there is more talk than doing as my links show.

The quote about Devon refers to a test tidal power station - it produces 300Kw - do you how little that is?

The one in NI produces 1.2mw.

Rance tidal power plant in France produces 240 Megawatts for its 24 turbines. Annual output is about 600 million kWh, or about 68MW average power. It has existed since 1966!

Look - we are behind. If we recognise it and do something about it then good. But to assume that we are leaders when we are not is the sort of thinking that led to the decline of this country throughout the twentieth century.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
I voted no, what has Ray Mears done to deserve any award before the millions of people around the country who; work hard raising money for charities, caring for people, volunteers who carry out community work for free, any member of the armed forces, members of essential services, all of which deserve recognition before the likes of extremely well paid TV celebrites (RM), sportsmen/women etc etc. receive them.

Nothing RM does (as far as i am aware and i'm sure i will be corrected on) is free of charge and anything with his endorsement has inflated prices. No definately no award.

This applies to all the other 'celebrities' who believe it is their right to receive something for basically doing their chosen profession for a number of years.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE