Exploding torches, any experience?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Evening all,

I’ve recently found my oldish Surefire z2 combat light and fancy getting it back in use.
The incandescent bulb has blown but I have a surefire LED that I’ve dropped in and it works, but compared to modern torches is slightly underwhelming (I’m guessing 300lm but can’t be sure)

There’s 1000lm drop in bulb/reflector units on Amazon for £15.

If I use 3.7v rechargeable batteries would it be safe? I’m no electrical engineer. There’s tonnes of advice on torch forums but it blows my mind to be honest!

Has anyone upgraded a torch this way? Is it safe?

There’s brighter torches out there I know, but I like the surefire.

Thanks for reading

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
That’s a good call, I suspect they won’t recommend it as it’s unofficial batteries and reflector head etc but will message them.

I’m trying to keep the cost down so any official product would likely not make it financially worthwhile

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The Surefire sizing has been copied so many times that the LED drop-in module is called a P60. Search for those, and make sure the driver can handle either 2x CR123 or better, use a single 18650 battery. It’s a voltage thing, 2x3v batteries v 1x3v batteries. It was your thread title, single cells are safer.

Single 18650 is safer, rechargeable, and there are lots of P60 drop ins for that size battery. It’s simply a double sized CR123a.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
That’s good to know, thanks.
I read that the 18650 doesn’t fit and that the torch needs to be bored out to accept one?
There’s a couple at work so I’ll try and fit one.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That’s good to know, thanks.
I read that the 18650 doesn’t fit and that the torch needs to be bored out to accept one?
There’s a couple at work so I’ll try and fit one.
I do remember that now you mention it. I’ve got an old Solarforce tube that’ll work with the Surefire end bits if not.

If you want to keep the original format, I’m sure there are p60 led units to fit. I’d go on a hunt for you in the jungle that is torch forums, but up to my neck in moving house.

Try and find something that’s 6-8.4v if you want to keep with the CR123a, with a colour temp of 4000k-5000k. That will give you a great torch, good for seeing browns, greens, reds. Those blue/white (6000k) leds are like fluorescent tubes and pretty hopeless for seeing anything outdoors.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s a jungle alright. Thought we were bad enough discussing steel types but the world of torches is something else.
Happy to ask on BLF for you, it’s the only light forum I go on these days due to the dedication and friendliness. I’d need to know if you want modes or just on/off or long runtimes compared to very bright for an hour, tint preference (they love that). It’s like going fishing in a swamp, select decent bait and catch a fish. Suggest an LED type and they’ll be hopping out of the water. Crazy guys, but helpful. If you’re going to resurrect a classic, you might as well make it do exactly what you want it to do.

I’d avoid Amazon for torch stuff like drop -ins , the Chinese companies like Banggood, Aliexpress, Fasttech have the goods much cheaper and usually with more accurate details.

@Danceswithhelicopters is a Surefire and P60 dropin man, aka MetalBudgie on the old BB forum. He might have a few ideas too. The name Malkoff is going to appear, mark my words, but they’re not cheap. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildgoose

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Happy to ask on BLF for you, it’s the only light forum I go on these days due to the dedication and friendliness. I’d need to know if you want modes or just on/off or long runtimes compared to very bright for an hour, tint preference (they love that). It’s like going fishing in a swamp, select decent bait and catch a fish. Suggest an LED type and they’ll be hopping out of the water. Crazy guys, but helpful. If you’re going to resurrect a classic, you might as well make it do exactly what you want it to do.

I’d avoid Amazon for torch stuff like drop -ins , the Chinese companies like Banggood, Aliexpress, Fasttech have the goods much cheaper and usually with more accurate details.

@Danceswithhelicopters is a Surefire and P60 dropin man, aka MetalBudgie on the old BB forum. He might have a few ideas too. The name Malkoff is going to appear, mark my words, but they’re not cheap. :D
If you are on there and it’s not too much bother it would be great to ask, thank you.

Basically I would like a drop in LED that can be fitted without modification, is as bright as possible, has no modes (I use the torch for quick sweeps, short bursts) runs on 3.7v rechargeables and won’t turn into a hand grenade!

I would like it to work consistently too, I had a cheap conversion years ago that was bright but sometimes needed a slap to wake it up.

Thanks

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Leave it with me, I’m mad busy with packing and moving for the next few days but I’ll see what’s recommended and let you know.

Reactions: Wildgoose

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE