who likes small knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff b

Apr 27, 2008
uk
Small knives are very underrated, i have a few myself
These are sambar stag
2stagpups038.jpg

2stagpups040.jpg

The bushpup was made from my dogs bone that he left in the garden, the lightcrafter is made from stabilized oak burr
Bonebushpupandlightcrafter107.jpg

Bonebushpupandlightcrafter111.jpg

robbisbushpupyellow035.jpg

coffinscandiandbonebushpup024.jpg

bonehandlecustom014.jpg

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I asked Driftwoodwalker to do me a small necker, he made me a thing of beauty. Apologies for photo's I don't have my camera with me.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Knife 2.jpg
    Knife 2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 19
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 17
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 18

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've got a lot of time for the old CRKT neck P.E.C.K. which I trimmed all the excess material off the sheath.

neckpeck2.jpg

Its so small and light I don't know I'm carrying it and is my default knife when I'm pottering about and not wearing trousers (ie lack pockets or a belt to hang off things). Not a lot of use for chopping wood but if I think i'm going to be doing that I take something more suitable.

For outdoors use I've found a flat ground Grohmann Bird and Trout can manage most things, I've batoned with it but naturally it's not as effective as something bigger.

ATB

Tom

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I like small ones too. I am made a few myself.

This is a small necker with a just under 3" blade, 3mm 01 tool steel. Osage handle.
DSCN0165.jpg

This is my Tarn Wood Carver. Again, 3mm 01 tool steel, the blade is about 3" long. It was originally meant as a wood carver but it turned out to be quite a good general wood craft knife. Mexican Rosewood handle.

DSCN0036-1.jpg

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have a soft spot for wee fixed blades myself, probably my favourite is this one.

414_1462_1a.jpg
414_1464_1a.jpg
414_1467_1a.jpg

414_1443crop_1.jpg

414_1441crop_1.jpg

414_1452crop_1a.jpg
414_1450crop_1a.jpg

I remember testing it when i first got it and being surprised what a small fixed blade can do battoning down a well seasoned log into small sticks and shavings.

414_1480_1.jpg
414_1484_1.jpg

414_1490_1.jpg

415_1505_1.jpg

I carried this wee knife for years before retiring it but it still gets an occasional run out every once in a while, i know Allan wouldn't be everyone's favourite knife maker but he did make a decent knife before it went tits up.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I carried this wee knife for years before retiring it but it still gets an occasional run out every once in a while, i know Allan wouldn't be everyone's favourite knife maker but he did make a decent knife before it went tits up.

Allan was a first class maker. Those Pack Pals are excellent as are his larger bushcraft knives with coffin tangs.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Aye i had a couple of those bushcrafters and a couple of the field pukko's as well, actualluy i think i still have one of the pukko's somewhere - must have a look.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I like small knives too. Perfectly capable for a lot of tasks.

BRKT Mikro Canadian is about the smallest I've got that's useful. I find a small handle is more limiting than a small blade.

I've made a few wee ones, and have a few more in the works.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...I find a small handle is more limiting than a small blade.

Thank you! I was waiting for someone to say that. I can understand with a folder that the handle could be small if the blade is small, and that could be an advantage for stowing it away somewhere, but I can't for the life of me understand why the handles on so many small fixed blades have been scaled down along with the blade. Most handles are just barely big enough for my hands anyway, and my hand doesn't get any smaller when I use a small blade. I've heard a maker say it looks better with a smaller handle but to be honest I don't really give a toss what it looks like if it's uncomfortable to use.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I too am a big fan of small knives. I did this for my son but found I've been using it more and more lately, the bigger knives don't even get a look in when I've got this;

IMG_0638.jpg

I also did a friction folder that gets used daily without fail, the blade is 2 1/2" ;

DSC00243.jpg

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
I do absolutely prefer small knives over all big ones!
If you handle the small knife correct you can do any job you need for bushcraft - also batoning is possible (when you know how to do it ;) ) Actual I have two small knives in order (1 Bushmans PAL copy and another small one with a convex grind)
I´m a FAN of small knives and won´t miss em!

cheers
Mike

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Me too. Since I got my BRK Mini Canadian I haven't really needed to go to anything bigger! Just so handy. This weekend I made a set of chopsticks for my noodles whilst camping;

IMG_6176.jpg

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
I too am a big fan of small knives. I did this for my son but found I've been using it more and more lately, the bigger knives don't even get a look in when I've got this;

I also did a friction folder that gets used daily without fail, the blade is 2 1/2" ;

DSC00243.jpg

that little friction folder is really nice sasquatch,...have you a pic of it folded?..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE