who likes small knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
I do!!!

I have this thing for mini fixed blades.

I love a neck knife that is bulky enough to do serious chores. I look at it in a sense of Mors, handle palm length (or just under) and blade can be as small as half your palm.

I have recently bought two small knives, one the BHK Patch Knife that has a thread of its own here already and two days ago it was a Fiddleback Forge Runt.

I will get some photo's up soonish, but in the meantime.....

what are your favorite small knives?

who makes em?

got a grail small knife?

What would you use yours for, backup woodcraft or game prep?

SHOW ME SOME PICTURES!!!! I need another reason to have the wife yell at me :D

cheers all

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
nice!,..

a subject i can relate to,...

i love having a small fixed blade "hanging around" ,..

i bought a CRKT Side Hawg 2 just as it was different and to "fluff out" my collection,...cheap too...20 quid or summat,...

i used it for whittling and loved how it worked the wood, but it gave me blisters so i threw it in the cabinet as a novelty,..

but i started to rehandle it last week as i can't find another small fixed blade in my collection that can do what it can.

i too, will post a pic of the thing when i,m outta this place,..(work)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh very nice :approve: Beautiful even :D

I like small knives, use them all the time, even for battoning :D (thread somewhere or other)

Favourite ? Depends what's at hand tbh.
My latest is a wee hand forged one by Everything Mac :D
Photos ? Oh dearie me........I'll go find my technical reference manual No.1 (very patient husband:) )

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That hornet is a funny knife. Fugly in many ways. But my how that handle works well. The large "ball" end works like a brad awl. You can't half get some power on cuts with it and because it spreads the pressure, it doesn't cause hotspots on the hand in use. Its often on my belt and more often in the leg pouch of my cargoes.

The mini DSP that FGYT kindly gave me is going to have a carry system designed for the pocket. I am chatting up topknot on that one but something like the cases that posh pens come in if that makes sense?

Red

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Big fan of small neckers, I normally leave the big boys in the pack as the wee fellas can do about 95% of what I want a knife to do.

Stu Barker little 'uns, first modern;

DSCF2193.jpg

DSCF2207.jpg

Then classic

3437981075_ecb86593da_b.jpg

4117009001_6a2ca64d9d_z.jpg

recently picked up a couple of nice mini bushies (2 of the top one, 80mm blades) from Mick Spain to be handled (borrowed pic);

Blade05-102.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Was fortunate enough to get hold of a Guy Stainthorp 'Scandinavian' a few months ago, absolute peach of a knife, OAL 7 1/2", Blade length 3 1/2,brown canvas micarta scales,zero Scandi-grind S30V,holds an edge for ever after a touch on my Sharpmaker white stone, perfection, really sorry still puzzling the dark art of posting photos.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I had never had a small knife untill i picked up a wm1 blank from WB here, it is great to use, now im in negotiations with the fiscal department to local purchase a complete set of FGYT 3\4 knives,

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
sxmolly - I really like that knife - it is lovely!

I really fancy a little canadian belt knife at the minute - think I'll forge one at the Scottish meet in November :D

damn it I just realised I actually have a collection of knives now! :O

Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
lol sure did. - I went from swearing that I'd only have one knife at a time. + a folder because folders don't count ya know ;)

I think it's hovering around ten now :O lol. oh well. I know that isn't even a percentage of some peoples collections.

got a fairly small blade sitting in oil for the next few days - I'll get a picture up when it's done.

Andy

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
lol sure did. - I went from swearing that I'd only have one knife at a time. + a folder because folders don't count ya know ;)

I think it's hovering around ten now :O lol. oh well. I know that isn't even a percentage of some peoples collections.

got a fairly small blade sitting in oil for the next few days - I'll get a picture up when it's done.

Andy

sitting in oil ?..did you form a handle from green wood?

i use BB sometimes and here loads of talk of stabilization and such, but as i understand its not always needed,...

i have a project on the go and read about coating the wood with apoxy until it impregnates the grain then sanding.....

think i,m gonna go this route,...

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I have the handle sat in some boiled linseed oil. - this soaks into the wood and gives a slightly deeper protective coating. - makes it look nice too.

or so the more experienced people over on BB tell me.

All the best

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE