Who are your Hero's and Inspirational characters?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
My step - grandfather has to be my inspiration. Alexander Deer wrote (along with colleagues) the ABCs of geology, was master of a cambrige college, and vice- chancellor of cambridge university form 1971-1973.

Unquestionably, his memoirs have been the greatest source fo inspiration (especially from his expeditions to Alaska). He told his stories like an author, kept his friends close and his razor sharp wit cut me many times!

I remember at his funeral, they had a list of accomplishments, which spanned out over four A5 pages. He reminded me that I need to "seize the day", but at the same time be persistant in what I do.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
You know what, I don't think I do have heroes.
I can't think of anyone I look up to and admire them. I admire actions and deeds, but not individuals. I think that is because we are all ultimately flawed and seeing someone as 'heroic' is misplaced. And I doubt many of those extolled as 'heroes' feel comfortable with the label, because they also know that they are just flawed human beings who just managed to pull the rabbit out of the hat at the right time. And if they do see themselves as heroes...well, that kind of conceit rather proves my point.
So no - I don't have heroes. Though I do admire heroic actions.
Actually, not quite true.
***WARNING - IT'S GOING TO GET SCHULMTZY AND SICKENING HERE***
I think I do admire my parents. They have worked damned hard all their lives. When we were young we were never cold, never hungry and my mum was always at home to welcome us back from school and my dad was always at work, working hard to ensure the cold and hunger stayed away. If I could ever be just 10% as good as they were then I will have done very well indeed.
Sorry if that made you throw up - it's like something from an American TV show.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2009
dorking, surrey
You know what, I don't think I do have heroes.
I can't think of anyone I look up to and admire them. I admire actions and deeds, but not individuals. I think that is because we are all ultimately flawed and seeing someone as 'heroic' is misplaced. And I doubt many of those extolled as 'heroes' feel comfortable with the label, because they also know that they are just flawed human beings who just managed to pull the rabbit out of the hat at the right time. And if they do see themselves as heroes...well, that kind of conceit rather proves my point.
So no - I don't have heroes. Though I do admire heroic actions.

second that

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I can't agree at all that "there are no heroes".

Let me illustrate a little.

Take a look at Stovie on here. Just look up some of his posts. Look at the faces of the young boys and girls that he has skinning deer and rabbits, making boats and bridges, sleeping and cooking under the stars.

That man is a "net contributor" to society. He asks and expects no financial reward - indeed his activities cost him money. He is not building a CV or enhancing his career. He is simply showing young people how to enjoy the oydoors, how to co-operate and how to enjoy the beauty of nature. I am sure that most of them are so enjoying the experience, that the pleasure they are taking has involved enormous effort on his part. Which is fine and natural.

People like Stovie are far more worthwhile members of society than I am, and are, in my eyes, heroes. In years to come, those young people will look back on magical memories and remember him with love and respect. He may not be their hero now, but he will be.

Red

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Her Majesty The Queen
Richard Dawkins
Jesus
Oliver Cromwell
Martin Luther King
Watt Tyler
Ray Mears
Irvine Welsh
Kazuo Ishiguro
Morrissey
Prince
King Arthur
Bobby Robson
Brian Clough
Seb Coe
Steve Ovett
Matt Le Tissier

I'm sure there are more but these people I admire for their achievements and their tenacity. They don't give up easily and march to the beat of a different drum.

Puchal

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2010
Poland, Warsaw
Dick Proenneke (a true bushcrafter - see Alone in the Wilderness)
dick_proenneke_dutch_doors.jpg

George W. Sears Nessmuk (popularized bushcrafting, and canoeing among "common people")
george_nessmuk_sears.jpg

Lech Walesa (shipyard worker who changed the Europe, Solidarity Movement leader)
wal1-003.jpg

Ernest Shackleton (as a team leader. Never give up...)
shackleton_sh.jpg

Dersu Uzala - Nanai hunter and guide for Arsenyev (Russian Tsar cartographer) expedition to south Taiga between 1902 and 1907.
Dersuuzala.jpg

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Lech Walesa is held in high regard by Brits of my generation. I guess the now free people of Europe have much to thank him for.

The same could be said for two other famous Poles:
Marian Rejewski - the first man to break the 'unbreakable' Enigma cipher.
Stanislaw Skalski - a top fighter ace of WW2, who once gave first aid to a wounded enemy.

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Chief Scout,B.P
The 'Few'
The'Many'
The chaps in the water at Dunkerque.
Mearsy
Grey Owl (google that one if you don't know)
My parents
And in his own quiet way,my brother.
There are others,but the above would rate as fairly key over the years.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
My Dad who when riddled with cancer and suffering from Parkinsons desease still manager to laugh and joke through the whole thing of his 7 years of illness.

My Son for making me think...............

A lot of the other people already mentioned along with Alan Hinkes a great Yorkshireman and Alison Hargreaves.

I like these threads they make you think.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
My father... smartest man I knew. One of those who left school at fourteen, and daily did crosswords I still avoid.

William Pearce Chope - Bill - My guide to the world of Scouting, and so much more. He is sadly missed. To take a walk with Bill anywhere was always an education. The closest I have ever come to meeting a 'Renaissance Man', and if he was not one, what else you need for the title I do not know.

Lord Baden Powell - Mainly for the simple reason that he never looked at the world the same as everyone else.

Corporal James Graham, Lady Mary Bankes, and Lionel Ernest Queripel - Look them up - Basically anyone who closed the gate, or stood the wall.

Tuathal mac Augaire - Bid daddy of the Mighty people - Now if I could just work my way back to him, I would be happy.

The only ones I can think of who are not here already.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
My old Scoutmaster, John Bryson and his Assistant, Dr. Ashley Olinger.
Tom Pace, my high school buddy that taught me the skills of the hunter and trapper.
Scott Grove, my high school buddy that still is my role model.
My coaches that taught life skills along with the sports skills, too.
My old First Sergeant, 1SG (Ret) James Carter, who took me under his wing.
My old Company Commander, COL (Ret) Christopher J. Reddish who's leadership was truly inspired.
My R.O.T.C. buddy and mentor COL Donald E. Miller, though not blood, our relationship is stronger than brothers.
President Reagan
Armed Forces Veterans
My maternal Great Granny Barton.
My maternal Pappaw.
My mom.
My wife.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE