Which swiss army?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Ok so I'm looking into getting a new swiss army knife, Victorinox swiss army knife that is. I've narrowed the choices down to two, a camper or a farmer. I have a spartan already but I'm looking for something that may have some more woodsy uses such as a saw but I'm wondering, is the farmer worth getting if it doesn't have some of the tools that the camper does? I've heard it's tougher and the knife is a bit bigger on the farmer so do you think that makes up for the missing tools or should I just get a spartan with a saw (camper). I've been thinking about this for a while and since I read the thread on who owns a swiss army knife I figured you folks could probably help me decide. So what do you think?

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I think it depends on the amount of times you expect to use the saw. I have one on my Victorinox Rucksack which I've occasionally used but for regular sawing I use a proper folding one. I always think a SAK is a good knife for minor tasks; I use mine for opening cans, bottles, prising things open, cutting/whittling etc but I don't think they replace a dedicated tool (obviously they're not meant to). As a small knife to keep with you I'd say the farmer is excellent. I have just received a soldier which I believe is the farmer without the lanyard ring and I'm keeping it as my legal every day carrier. Very tough and I can see myself using all the bits on it.

Hope that helps. It's a bit of a minefield, the old SAK question!

Magentus

Tracer1969

Feb 11, 2009
Belgium
I bought myself a Farmer and the One Hand Trekker.
Must say i like the One Hand Trekker so much that the farmer is now in the car as a backup.
It's a little bigger, more solid for heavyier tasks.
One minus point is no clip, otherwise i would be perfect for me.
But that makes it difficult for you, now you have 3 choices :)

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Well thanks for adding another choice there but I can't seem to find the trekker model... It is a swiss army knife right? Anyways, the site I'm going to buy from is www.bensbackwoods.com and they only have: The rucksack, hunter O.D., hiker, farmer, camper (red), camper (black), classic and the little eyeglass screwdriver. The classic is out right away due to it's size, the hunter O.D. and the rucksack are out because I'm looking for a smaller pocket knife, just something to whittle with and do the odd camping task. The hiker is out because it's a camper with a screwdriver which I don't need. So then it's down to the camper or the farmer. The farmer is tougher and has fewer tools which means it can do less but also means there's nothing just sitting there that you don't need. The camper has a couple tools I wouldn't really need but still... I find the corkscrew works well for untying(?) knots in string, the tweezers are good if you had a splinter, of course they aren't perfect as they're not pointy and the toothpick is handy for cleaning gunk out of the knife. If the alox scales of the farmer weren't there I'd definately get the camper but they're just so darn cool... I guess it's the camper that would be more handy then so now the question is... Which camper, black or red scales?

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I carry a traditional SAK normally (Officer Suisse of some kind) but my Rucksack
gets the most use and taken with me on trips. Mine has scissors and a Philips
driver as well as the features of the one on bensbackwoods.com

I'd consider the advantages of 7/8" extra length for the blade and saw for the
Rucksack/Hunter over the Camper - it doesn't sound much, but it's quite a
percentage increase - as well as the fact that the Camper blade
doesn't lock. I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine that the Camper's blade is
also thinner - my Officer's main blade is definitely thinner than my Rucksack.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
My farmer has replaced my sak explorer as a legal edc.

Can't say i'm missing any of the tools on the latter,it now remains in the car.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Well those one hand opening ones have partly serrated blades which I don't like. That sites cool, if I need another swiss army knife in the future I'd probably buy from them but I'm still buying from bensbackwoods this time because they have some other stuff that I need.
gzornenplat said:
I'd consider the advantages of 7/8" extra length for the blade and saw for the Rucksack/Hunter over the Camper - it doesn't sound much, but it's quite a
percentage increase - as well as the fact that the Camper blade
doesn't lock. I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine that the Camper's blade is
also thinner - my Officer's main blade is definitely thinner than my Rucksack.
That's a good point and if this was going to be my main knife then I'd get a locking one but I have a belt knife and so all I really need is an average sized pocket knife. The thinner blade also comes in handy with details in carving and the fact that the blade doesn't lock doesn't really bother me, I've come close once but never closed the blade fully on my fingers yet. I think I've changed my mind now... I think I might go with the farmer. I mean I have a spartan already so I might as well get something different and I have a leather pouch for swiss army knives that I could wear on my belt so if I needed to I could carry both swiss army knives. Ok I guess the farmer it is! Thanks everyone for your help.

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
I have a old alux farmer. It is in my saddlebags all the time.
If you can find one get the alux farmer the aluminum scales
are indestructible.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
I have the Trakka and it is very nice, especially as the saw is that much longer than the Farmer for example. However, the only downside of the Trekka (IMO) is the actual blade (part serrated and a chisel grind on the straight part). Its still cuts well but is a real pain to sharpen. I might ask someone to re-profile it for me?

Not sure where you are but you might also want to consider EDC laws etc?

ATB, Jon.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
I think it depends on the amount of times you expect to use the saw. I have one on my Victorinox Rucksack which I've occasionally used but for regular sawing I use a proper folding one. I always think a SAK is a good knife for minor tasks; I use mine for opening cans, bottles, prising things open, cutting/whittling etc but I don't think they replace a dedicated tool (obviously they're not meant to). As a small knife to keep with you I'd say the farmer is excellent. I have just received a soldier which I believe is the farmer without the lanyard ring and I'm keeping it as my legal every day carrier. Very tough and I can see myself using all the bits on it.

Hope that helps. It's a bit of a minefield, the old SAK question!

Magentus

Ive got a Soldier and it looks like the Farmer but your right it doesnt have the lanyard ring but more importantly (for me) no saw either :(

ATB, Jon.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
I also really like my Explorer that I have owned for nearly 23 years (but no saw), its generally my EDC and very handy around the house too.

ATB, Jon.

Just noticed, this is my 100th post!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE