Which swiss army?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
JDO330 said:
Not sure where you are but you might also want to consider EDC laws etc?
Well I could carry a swiss army around even with a locking blade as far as I know. If I've got a big knife on my belt and I'm walking around town then that's a problem but I'm pretty sure locking bladed and non locking pocket knives are allowed. If I had a concealed knife then that's not good but if it's just a pocket knife in my pocket then I should be alright. In the woods though, pretty much anything goes but the blade has to be, I think 5" or shorter and you don't need a permit or anything either which is handy. Knives like switchblades and butterfly knives aren't legal here at all but since those are pretty much fighting knives that doesn't bother me.
traderran said:
I have a old alux farmer. It is in my saddlebags all the time.
If you can find one get the alux farmer the aluminum scales
are indestructible.
That's good to hear as that's the knife I've decided to get.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
I think I have the SAK camper, a friend gave it to me as a birthday present. Anyway it has a saw. For many years this was the only knife I would take on multiday treks. A few years back I strained a tendon in my knee whilst climbing Mt Pirongia in New Zealand. I was in deep trouble as I had made the summit for the night but was uncertain how I would descend the next day; I could not bend my leg very well or place much weight on it. With the little saw and the longer blade I made a walking stick and whilst the descent was a long one I got down safely. As you may imagine I am now very attached to my SAK camper.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
The Alox scale Victorinox knives have much thicker blades than the plastic scale SAK's like the Camper. A sturdier blade is a good thing. I have carried a Farmer for 30 years now and although I own a lot of Swiss Army knives, the Farmer is the one a take to the bush every time.

Alox Farmer lives in my pocket 24/7 ever since I bought it, comes in handy at work for everyday cutting tasks find that the thicker blade on the alox model cuts better than a standard SAK. I'm also a part-time bailiff on my local carp syndicate and believe me the saw has seen so much use that it is now indispensible, have fixed blades, folding saws and a small collection of axes but feel like I could do any job asked eventually with the farmer.

Rui

Tenderfoot
I have de one hand trekker and I carry it everyday since 6 years ago.

dscf8735ve0.jpg

The new version made to the Swiss Army is great to, but I didn't see at any shop yet.

head.jpg

http://bushcraft-pt.forumeiro.net/forum.htm

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Have a look at the Huntsman.

When I went looking for an everyday carry that is what I picked. In Black.

To be honest, I do not like them, and think the leatherman is such a better EDC tool, but the law is the law.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE