Which Smart Phone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
My phone contract is finished soon, and I'm looking for a recommendation for a new one. What I'd like is a decent camera, a gps that can give six figure grid references and a mapping app that can support something like Memory Map.

Cheers, Michael.

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
iPhone 4 have to say it's the best phone I have ever owned and with all the different apps available it's invaluable, but that is my opinion still a bloody good phone
Regards
Rick

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I rate the HTC desire, its the best phone I've owned. The camera is pretty good, just as good as the sony's Ive had. Like the I phone 4, everything works. The ringer volume is a little low and I'd like the battery to last longer, but other than that I can't fault it.

Compared to my Nokia x6 and old sony's, its in a different universe.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Had a Desire and now changed for a Galaxy S, the big upside is the extra storagw but it is generally a better phone

Android is the way of the future mind

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
You need to evaluate what you want from the phone.

For corporate/business communications Windows 7, Android and iPhone in about that order.

If you like Apple stuff and apps, the iPhone is a good bet if you don't mind some of its quirks, like having to hack it to be able to use your own ringtone...

Android has really turned into something incredible but be careful because some Android phones don't ship with the most recent version and some phones have a much better skin and more intuitive menu system than others, so check out comparative reviews if Android honks your hooter.

Windows 7 hooks straight into any version of Exchange for business class emails on the hoof (which is why I like it) and ships with MS Office if you need to use it (I do) and a drop dead easy to use interface. There are fewer apps available for Windows 7 but that gap will close over time.

In short, if you already have an Apple Mac or love iTunes on Windows to manage your music (why on earth that would be the case is beyond me, but it takes all sorts) then the iPhone is a good bet with loads of apps.

Android phones also have a ton of apps and you can do a lot of tinkering with the phones themselves.

Windows 7 just works - it does what it does very, very well, with fewer apps available and zero tinkering possible.

I have a Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S on T-Mobile to you and me) running Android as my main personal phone, and an HTC HD7 and Samsung Omnia, both running Windows 7 for work purposes.

I run several dozen iPhones for various business clients and the problems they bring to the table are a real ball ache. They work best as standalone domestic phones and, for my money, both Android and Windows 7 offer a much better business choice. Put an iPhone in a typical Microsoft business environment and they are pretty awful by comparison to either Android or Windows 7, hence my suggestion to look at what you intend doing with the phone first, and then narrow down suitable kit based on your requirements.

There is always the Blackberry route as well...

Good luck whatever you decide on.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
A vote for blackberry from me, I use a blackberry torch, decent enough camera, usable apps, emails, gps, and the phone works too...

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
If text, email and a good battery are important then it has to be a Blackberry. If you want a touchscreen device then HTC is the way forward in my opinion. I favour the Desire HD which is an Android device so lots of map apps to choose from.

Regards, Jon.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Actually battery life is a very good point and one I completely forgot to touch on.

It's the one weak area of most smart phones. The bigger and brighter the touch screens and the faster the processors the shorter the battery life.

If you use your phone heavily you might not get a full day out of it.

The MD of a company I look after charges his iPhone overnight every night and sometimes has to plug it in around 3-30 in the afternoon on a busy day. He lives on the phone though.

I get about 2 days of use out of my phones per single charge and I use mine a fair bit.

If you go for a smaller touch screen you tend to get better battery life as a rule of thumb, but as Jon says, Blackberry is better again in this regard.

Atesca

Jan 22, 2009
Waltham Abbey
Dell Streak running android 2.2 for me, its a brick though, huge 5" screen and the ability to play high def movies, on top of the features you're after, persuaded me to give it pocket room though

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Something from the Android or Blackberry range. Forget the iPhone, can't change the battery, poor battery life, can't upgrade the memory, poor signal etc, over hyped, over priced and tend to be owned by fanatical fanboys.

Android is now the number one sellingf platform with phones to suit all needs and pockets a solid performer with a mass of free and paid for applications. Blackberry is another solid performer. My son has the HD7 and thats a slick SOB :)

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
I've been offered a reasonably good deal on a Samsung Galaxy. Which map Apps are available for it and what's the battery life like?

Cheers, Michael.

Its not a bad phone at all. Battery life wont be great but if you dont have wifi switched on all the time it helps. Also set the screen brightness to something like 25% for indoor use etc. Map apps will be whatever you can download from android market etc, google maps is good and give free sat nav if thats a requirement. I have been using a map app today that gives me O/S mapping so i could ensure i was driving a byway, i will look it up and let you know what its called (cost about 3 quid).

Atb, Jon.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Forget the iPhone, can't change the battery, poor battery life, can't upgrade the memory, poor signal etc.

I disagree, the battery life does deteriorate over time but something I have seen is that you can get an extra battery to go over the outside and this makes the battery life about a week in total. You can't upgrade the memory but I have had the iPhone for a while, filled it with apps and music and photos and it is nowhere near quarter full. You have to be pretty stupid to be able to fill one. I have the 16Gb and with the 32Gb it would be very difficult to even get half full. Just delete unwanted stuff over time and it is fine and will continue going strong.

Looking at it from an outdoors point of view, there are many covers that you can get that can either partially or fully protect it. Besides, my iPhone has been dropped many times over all manner of surfaces and there isn't a rack, the odd scratch but nothing more.

I agree that sometimes the signal can be on the poor side but I think that this is a fault with the individual phone not the whole iPhone brand and that 95% of the time, the signal is good, but then again it depends on which provider you have it with.

If you look after them properly then they are great phone and they won't let you down.

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i have the iphone 3gs fantastic phone as regards to battery life just make sure you turn of everything youve been using in the background regularlary and its fine regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE