Navigation excercise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I had a trip out to the local forest today - mostly pine plantation with patches of beach that are always noisy underfoot. I thought I'd dust off the old navigation skills. The forest is layed out mostly in a grid so there's not much incentive to take bearings. However it is a good opportunity for practicing pacings, something not often required in daily life.

I measured distances on the map to various points in the forest, and counted paces accordingly as though lost in the mist, as per my trusty chart which has been attached to my compass since my teens - many years ago. It's been a while since I've done this, but I found my pacings to be fairly accurate, and I reminded myself of my tendency to take slightly longer steps under these sorts of circumstances. The theory of these things is all well and good, but an appreciation of inherent error in a method comes from actually using it and practicing.

In the end I got distracted by plants and a herd of deer which bolted at the sight of me, and I called it a day on the pace counting. I proceeded towards my end goal, following the various tracks and only vaguely paying attention to the map.

To cut a long story short, I wound up at a set of intersecting tracks that could not feasibly exist according to my OS map. I wandered on a bit but for the life of me could not figure out where I was on the map or how this could be. I knew where I should be but it made no sense. Time was of the essence, and I didn't want to spend too long on this, so I checked on my phone gps - locus maps with a 'lo' map of England. Low and behold, the OS map - only two or three years old - missed out several forest tracks, whereas the locus map showed even the smallest of paths.

In any case I eventually brewed myself some soup, found an enormous piece of fatwood in the decaying stump or a pine, and went home.

The point of all this is that it reminded me of something important. People often say 'learn to use a map and compass' in reference to those who navigate in the hills with nothing but a phone (quite right too). But this served as a reminder that I can make mistakes and that despite being well practiced in navigation, I am not infallible. Having an awareness of potential for human error can be a useful thing.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Here, mostly in the summer tourist season, you must stop at the entrance gate to each of our National Parks for an official "greeting." With that blessing comes a stack of brochures, mostly DO's and DON'Ts.

One of the brochures is a folded map of the Park. All sorts of hiking trails marked on it. If you liv near a park, if you visit every summer, if you save all those maps for 40 years, you will learn that you have been manipulated.

What you will see is that the network of hiking trails changes every year. Seems it's meant to take the visitor load pressure off regions of the park. Prince Albert and Banff National parks do it. I live 2 hours west of Jasper, happens there as well.

Maybe, there's people that don't need you sticking your nose into their patch? You faked them out with a compass.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE