which saw?

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey guys

When out in the woods or whatever; what type of saw do you prefer? Something like a bacho Laplander? folding buck saw? A wire saw? Or just a regular diy saw? And also why?

Atm I have a Laplander and think it's great but thinking if I should get either a wire saw or buck saw...can see advantages and disadvantages to both?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ive had a Bahco for 10 years or so, never even had to change the blade. I highly recommend.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wire saws are not designed for any kind of prolonged use - emergency only (if that).

Longer saws (bucksaw / bowsaw) allow processing of larger firewood - but get a square or D shape - not a triangle shape - the triangle is too narrow at one end to cope with large logs.

Making your own take down saw is very easy - and cheap

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
All depends on what I'm cutting.

Laplanders are great for up to about 6" diameter wood then it's onto a bow saw of some description...

But if I have a choice then it's a Stihl chainsaw :D

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use a Silky Big boy folding saw, it can cope with anything. I also have a laplander, which has done well for years, but for me i find it too small to be efficient most of the time.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I use a Bahco laplander - it's not for nothing that they're probably the most popular bushy saw. I also use it around the garden so it gets its fair share of usage.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
silky saws all the way for me. I've had and used other saws in the woods (bachos, opinels, bow saws, etc) and there is a reason sily saws are the choice of professional woodsmen ;)

The reason the bacho is the most popular bushcraft saw is two fold, firstly they are cheap (yet good, like the mora knife) and secondly Mr Mears uses and sells them

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I use a fiskars extracta saw (large) I find it out performs the lap lander in every way.
I have a folding buck saw which works well but isn't petty.

I'd love to convince swmbo to let me have a silky though.

touched by nature

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a Laplander usually, if I'm canoeing I'll take my Bob Dustrude

I like the Silkys but I don't like the price of replacement blades

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I made a folding buck saw from some bits I found at a car boot sale and a good Bahco blade. Its really good, I'll get some pics up sometime I'm chuffed with it and it cost me about £6 plus a good blade.

Alot of buck saws I saw (LOL) use green wood blades? but since mine will be used for firewood prep mainly I god a seasoned wood blade which seams to be very good with a variety of wood.

I also made a bag for it on my sewing machine and wet formed a belt a blade guard which I'm proud of so I really should put some pictures up.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I use a Silky Big boy folding saw, it can cope with anything. I also have a laplander, which has done well for years, but for me i find it too small to be efficient most of the time.

Me too, pricy but well worth it. Don't do what I did and lend it to an eager friend. The cut closed on the blade resulting an 6" getting snapped off. There's a technique for pull saws, and as a chippy he should have been aware of it.

silky saws all the way for me. I've had and used other saws in the woods (bachos, opinels, bow saws, etc) and there is a reason sily saws are the choice of professional woodsmen ;)

Can't go wrong with them can you? My work issue is a Gomtaro fixed blade saw. It's extremely capable, with a very handy belt loop on the sheath. Only problem with the folding saws is carrying them with an armful of wood.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I too have a laplander and I haven't had any problems with it. Leaves a clean cut, exellent for getting bow staves, spoons and such things you need of trees with minimum distress.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I made a folding buck saw the other week as a trial and it worked a treat. It out performed my laplander and is easily packed.
It could be made to any available blade length from 12"-24" has a decent cutting depth and is really comfy to use.
DSC_0145.jpg

next job is to find some harder timber and make another.

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
I use a bahco laplander, also got a British Army volverine which is similar but a cheaper option

For bigger stuff I use an 18 inch Bahco bowsaw, its smaller and more convenient than its 24 inch cousin - worth using the right blade with the right wood though i.e dead wood or green wood

Steffen

Forager
Jun 13, 2010
Norway
i just recently bought a fiskars 21" bowsaw, and from the little i've used it, it works fantastic.
it should be ideal for winter camping, especially when far away from home.
for summer use i wouldn't carry a 62-63cm and 605g saw around, thats when a laplander-type saw shines.

i wonder if smaller bowsaws exists, maybe with a 30-35cm blade.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Me too, pricy but well worth it. Don't do what I did and lend it to an eager friend. The cut closed on the blade resulting an 6" getting snapped off. There's a technique for pull saws, and as a chippy he should have been aware of it.

Can't go wrong with them can you? My work issue is a Gomtaro fixed blade saw. It's extremely capable, with a very handy belt loop on the sheath. Only problem with the folding saws is carrying them with an armful of wood.

I bought a small fixed blade silky about 6 years ago when I started to work in the woods and wasn't sure due to the initial expence. I haven't got around to replacing the first blade but I do now have four different silky's (from folders to pole saws) on the go! In fact I was tight and my first one I just bought the blade and made my own wooden handle (so a £50 saw cost me £25)

The technique is to let it do the work, just pull. If you push and pull or apply force on the push stroke it will buckle, but treat it right and you'll never go back :)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Swiss army saw :thumbup: but I'm in the silky camp for use around camp. Bought the gatamaro summat or another;) I need to get round to buying the blade for seasoned wood though. As folk say, the prices can be off putting, but you get alot of bang for your buck. This was seasoned yew. I cut a fallen holly thicker in diameter with no effort at all.
uzape4e6.jpg

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.

The reason the bacho is the most popular bushcraft saw is two fold, firstly they are cheap (yet good, like the mora knife) and secondly Mr Mears uses and sells them

Spot on, changed to a silky when an arborist friend got me one - never looked back.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE