Life's simple hacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So I thought I would start a post on 'Life's simple hacks', this could be anything from tips to showing clever simple ideas that anyone could benefit from.....

So I thought I would share this, a cheap brand new reciprocating saw (body only, no battery), few wire connectors, crocodile clips, 4m of awg 10 wire and a 12v battery.

5 minutes work to put the wire connectors on and good to go. Not including the battery, less than £15 for the rest. Even works on a old DeWalt drill battery, so portable.

Going to attack the small holding this Sunday, looks like the forest leading to sleeping beauty.....

IMG20230111203543.jpgIMG20230111203547.jpgIMG20230111203552.jpg
16734705631529210895469724479977.jpg
And a bit of tape to take the tension off the wire connectors.

So what simple life hacks have you done that has either made your life easier or tips that you want to share?

Last edited:

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I've used an 18v Dewalt battery to jump start a van a few times,

Found out that if I put air con in truck, turn to full hot and fan on full, the screen demists much faster in my truck.

Reactions: gra_farmer

Bearmont

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2022
Germany
Just the very elementary work of replacing bulging or busted capacitors cuts down on a -ton- of expense and e-waste. It's I guess the most basic kind of electronics work but I'm still proud to finally be doing it. ;)

For my homelab, hotplate etc., I bought very solid units that happened to be from the 70s. That's another "hack", getting older more maintainable and durable units and replacing anything that's broken, rather than something new and shiny and expected to break within a year or 2.

Reactions: gra_farmer

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Local dog walker has a small van for their client dogs. Cages in the back but she's obviously worried about heat and cold in the back.

I saw her driving past and there's a piece of flexible pipe from the central vent to the back. Looked a great bodge for the situation. My dog has been in there and she's not afraid of going out with her anymore.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE