which next to review?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which Review First?

• Total voters

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Bivvy bag please!

Edit:-
As I wrote this, I thought "Why is this not a poll?". I completely missed it at the top and now I feel really daft for answering! :eek:

Anyway, I have looked at the bivvy bags a few times and have come close to parting with some cash on a number of occassions but have always had that nagging doubt about a zip not being water proof.

Simon

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
i voted firesteel. if there is a better one than the swedish army/light my fire ferro rods i want to know about it.
Forrest dweller how can you not be convinced?the ferro rods about these days are far superior to the old survival tin ones.and they are still top kit

i voted firesteel. if there is a better one than the swedish army/light my fire ferro rods i want to know about it.
Forrest dweller how can you not be convinced?the ferro rods about these days are far superior to the old survival tin ones.and they are still top kit

very simple: first i had problems with oxidation(see my thread about it) and several tinders i've used successful with bow drill, magnifying glass and other methods do not work(so far) with ferro rods- the sparks just land on the tinder without catching! best success i have with punkwood (i'm outside europe at the moment and birches, cattail and other things which could be used do not grow at my present location; + i use only natural tinder which i can get from my surrounding environment), BUT: i never found punkwood in arid areas and charred punkwood(and charcloth) i can also ignite with empty gas lighters. and to produce charcloth/charred punkwood you need a fire at first... .one advantage i have to admit about them is the fact that the wind never managed to blow out an ember, so i'm still using them!!!(and carry a lighter as a backup) :D

"disappointed by the monkeys, god created man. then he renounced to further experiments." mark twain

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
very simple: first i had problems with oxidation(see my thread about it) and several tinders i've used successful with bow drill, magnifying glass and other methods do not work(so far) with ferro rods- the sparks just land on the tinder without catching! best success i have with punkwood (i'm outside europe at the moment and birches, cattail and other things which could be used do not grow at my present location; + i use only natural tinder which i can get from my surrounding environment), BUT: i never found punkwood in arid areas and charred punkwood(and charcloth) i can also ignite with empty gas lighters. and to produce charcloth/charred punkwood you need a fire at first... .one advantage i have to admit about them is the fact that the wind never managed to blow out an ember, so i'm still using them!!!(and carry a lighter as a backup) :D

Maybe it would make more sense to do a passaround on the ferro rod so a whole range of materials can be tested and the results posted up. In that way it can be compared against a range of ferro-rods that we all have. Whatchathink?

Who is interested in a passaround review on this one?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Maybe it would make more sense to do a passaround on the ferro rod so a whole range of materials can be tested and the results posted up. In that way it can be compared against a range of ferro-rods that we all have. Whatchathink?

Who is interested in a passaround review on this one?

i'd be game for that! :)

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
i'd be game for that! :)

Okay lets do a list (I think we will try to limit it to half dozen people in the first instance).

I have a spare, lightly used and unhandled one to start testing on. Whilst it has no handle the virtue of us being able to use both ends will give us more strikes and even out the wear. I'll ask Alan Finlay for a couple more.:)

littlebiglane
g4ghb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE