Endicott's Modified Dutch Bivi Bag Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
LittleBigLane -

Would a 60cm wide sleep mat fit in the matt holders? Does anyone else with this bag know?

Thanks,
NC

Sorry - I gave the bivy bag back after I reviewed it. I must make it clear in my reviews which ones I have bought and which ones I have borrowed to review.

The dutch bivy and the smock were both borrowed. I stated that in the smock review but not the bivy one. Sorry. The other products I have review on BCUK have been bought by me.

Thanks to Woodstock for providing the dimensions. I found the kip-mat holders a little too narrow for a standard 'thermarest' of the older/square style. Though it did fit with a bit of jamming though :) . I expect you might have to narrow down a foam mat a bit too - which would not be a problem because once the matt was fitted you would not roll off it. I don't know if the new-style/mummy style thermarests would be a better fit because they are tapered top and bottom a bit. You can call Kev at Endicotts and he can try to fit some matts for you and then tell you which fit and which don't and what their dimensions are.

I found the bag quite roomy. As Woodstock has stated - I have no doubt that he is right that it is 32 inches across - or 64 inches round.

ncarvajal

Tenderfoot
Aug 24, 2008
UK - Colombia - Norway
Thanks very much for the information mate. I will call Endicott's tomorrow in the hope that they are able to measure the kip mat holders for me. I'll post the info on here when I get it as it might be of use to someone else.

NC

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Thanks very much for the information mate. I will call Endicott's tomorrow in the hope that they are able to measure the kip mat holders for me. I'll post the info on here when I get it as it might be of use to someone else.

NC

Oh yes - I just spotted on their site that they have kip-mats (Artkis ones, flat/folding) that are 18inches wide and would fit nicely into the holders. I am thinking of one myself.

http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=75&products_id=1221

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I noticed that on their website that they are providing these bags and the zips seperate at the moment because of a problem with the seamstress being off sick but Kevin at Endicott's is hoping to have the fully modified bags back in circulation in a couple of weeks time while they catch up on the backlog. Just for information folks if any of you were thinking of ordering one of them

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I noticed that on their website that they are providing these bags and the zips seperate at the moment because of a problem with the seamstress being off sick but Kevin at Endicott's is hoping to have the fully modified bags back in circulation in a couple of weeks time while they catch up on the backlog. Just for information folks if any of you were thinking of ordering one of them

I used a modified one last weekend for 3 nights. Very good. Robust and breathable. The kipmat holders are a real bonus - stopping you wandering off of it in the night and also reducing wear on the base of the bivy. Just one thing - I found it quite challenging doing the flap up and then zipping it up as the zip is not like one of those on sleeping bags that the head 'flips' over so you can do the zip up from the inside as well as the outside. I have contacted Kevin to see if this can be done (I am sure it can) and can be incorporated into future modifications. I keep you posted on this.

LBL

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I used a modified one last weekend for 3 nights. Very good. Robust and breathable. The kipmat holders are a real bonus - stopping you wandering off of it in the night and also reducing wear on the base of the bivy. Just one thing - I found it quite challenging doing the flap up and then zipping it up as the zip is not like one of those on sleeping bags that the head 'flips' over so you can do the zip up from the inside as well as the outside. I have contacted Kevin to see if this can be done (I am sure it can) and can be incorporated into future modifications. I keep you posted on this.

LBL

The first bag I tested had a double zip so you could do it up on the inside. I think Kev did a few with just an outward facing zip (like the one I tested again at the weekend). This has now been rectified and all zips will be able to be done up from the inside as per usual specification. Sorted :)

LBL

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Tell them to get there own bag...:nana:

Nag.

Actually I think he has a point. I see that there are brass poppers (male) around the hood opening and down the zip on the inside. I am wondering if this is to mate it to some form of mosi-net. No idea - but they could come in useful.

But you are right. The ants should really get there own bag :lmao:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just my view , but go for a Top zip, makes getting in easier and the storm flap will cover the zip.

Thanks for bumping this back up.

My mate and I bought one of these each, last year without a zip as we didn't know they existed. My mate has just modified his to have a large velcro strap along the opening, however I have been trying to find a zip long enough for mine. Can anyone recommend a place to buy a decent zip for these bags?

Thanks,
Andy

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
habidashers should have zips litteraly on rolls, meters of the things. get along to your local and they can dish out as much as you need. the zips'll be loose extra's.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I still think this is a good bivy bag. I last used it earlier in the year when there was quite a bit of snow on Dartmoor. Here is a rather poor picture of it (on the right, next to a posh rab ultralight bivy). The only thing it needed was a fresh DWR on the outside to stop it wetting out. This would have improved the breathability no end and stop the slight condensation I got around the foot area.

DSC00871.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE