Which lightweight cord for a tarp??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hey peps,

I've got miles (!) of para cord, but I'm looking for something that packs smaller, that still has good strength, and is lighter in weight.

What type of cord should I get, and any online stores stocking it?

Thanks for the help
Paul

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I like Edelweiss 2mm accessory cord. It is strong, takes up less space and weight than 550 cord. Will handle the ridge as well as guy lines. And if you want to go even smaller and lighter, you could go 1mm. I have never had a problem with Edelweiss.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
2mm static line from climbing shops...

Simon

Simlar for me too

2mm accessory cord for the guys and 4mm for the ridgeline.

The 3M reflective cord is good for guys if you can find it. The black stuff works just as well as the yellow but is a bit more stealthy during daylight hours.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Last edited:

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
I have used 2N cord for guying out. I find that when it gets wet, the adjaustable knot becomes really difficult to slide. I have gone back to 550 para cord for this reason.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I use dynneema for my ground dweller set-up with mini lineloks both from camcleats.co.uk IIRC. they make the lineloks and other stuff like that and sell dyneema and other cords as well. Very good little company IMHO.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Never got on with the nite-ize thing. Got one given free with my tent. Guy picked the last one off the counter and gave it to me. They didn't sell well for him. This was the last one and he wanted rid.

Of course the lightest way is with a knot but some cordage don't take knots too well and slip too easily. A line-lok or other high friction item is best IMHO. Whatever works though.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've got a dozen mini line-loks on order to try once we are back from Northumberland. I was looking at those Fig 9 things in a shop last week, was toying with getting one for the ridgeline.

ATB

Tom

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
The small Fig 9 with cord are ideal with guy-lines, and the large fig 9 is good for a ridge-line. I can get a better tension with these for a tarp set up over the line-lok.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Learning the Truckers hitch is one of the best moves I've made since hanging with a hammock and tarp. Rather than carrying the little gizmos which I'm probably likely to lose or break, having the knowledge to tie a knot to achieve the same results is a no brainer really for me.

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
Learning the Truckers hitch is one of the best moves I've made since hanging with a hammock and tarp. Rather than carrying the little gizmos which I'm probably likely to lose or break, having the knowledge to tie a knot to achieve the same results is a no brainer really for me.

I'll second that.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've got a dozen mini line-loks on order to try once we are back from Northumberland. I was looking at those Fig 9 things in a shop last week, was toying with getting one for the ridgeline.

ATB

Tom

Where in Northumberland did you go? Only reason is I was thinking of going over there for a pot of sightseeing and wildcamping but don't know the area. Cheviots sound good to me but what's the ground camping spots like for a tarp and bivvy use? Didn't get much help from my earlier post. So I postponed it until next year.

Sorry off topic.

Lineloks for me everytime. Foolproof and I have forgotten more knots that I care to remember so I'm guessing late at night pitching in the dark with a failing head torch more by feel than by sight I don't want to have to try to remember the right blooody knot hence my lazy linkeloks. Even fig 9 thingies aren't a easy to use IMHO.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire

I have the knowledge, but find them easier to undo than wet knots

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE