Which knot for making a loop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gailainne

Life Member
This is different stuff again buddy,this is still very strong but it has a core like paracord.the stuff known in the US as Amsteel blue is hollow and because of this it can be spliced and made into constrictors.

I never said it was, I gave an alternative that I liked and an idea of where to find an equivalent.

I have sk 75 from an admittedly different marine supplier made into UCR's, if you had looked at the website you would have seen there is also 12 stranded dyneema there as well.

It was me who sold the blackbird to Shewie.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I never said it was, I gave an alternative that I liked and an idea of where to find an equivalent.

I have sk 75 from an admittedly different marine supplier made into UCR's, if you had looked at the website you would have seen there is also 12 stranded dyneema there as well.

I wouldn't mind a look at that Stephen next time we're out, is it the same as the stuff on the BB then ?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND

Whoaaa ,it,s nearly Friday ! sorry for not reading you rightly , i also know you sold the Blackbird to Shewie

Gailainne

Life Member
Rich

It was Amsteel blue that was holding up my Bridge at Loch Lomond
SANY0026.jpg
I got Brandon to add an extra "bit" when I bought the Blackbird from him ;)

I can bring the sk75 along to the next one, but to be frank apart from it being dark grey its the same stuff, same breaking load etc.

When I first heard of Amsteel blue, (from the hammock forums) a year or so back I just couldn't find it over here, then I found out it was made under license as Admiral 2000 in the UK, still couldn't find it, then I ran across Marlow ropes, no idea where they originate, but they did make a weaved rope for racing out of dyneema, which at the end of the day is what I was looking for, a small diameter rope that can take some pretty impressive loads, and you can splice if needed for whoopies and UCR's, but what I also discovered is the sleeved rope in very small diameters, excel racing, d12 and v12, which I think is amazing stuff, plus it lets me use all my toys, rather than knots :D, Amsteel doesn't work with Figure nines or the cleats or not well.

I've just recently received some new stuff from the states, "zing it" and "lash it" its 1.75mm and 2.2mm dia, 500 and 650lb ave breaking load (you can also splice it). I think it would be pretty cool hanging a hammock off a line you can hardly see :cool:, the yellow line in the picture is 2.2 lash it

Stephen

Last edited:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
woah this thread has gone off track...

i use a double fishermans knot to climb on at work (just like almost every other tree surgeon) and i can garentee that it will NEVER come undone. this is great for a perminant atatchment but it is a pain to untie once it has been loaded.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_fisherman's_knot

don't bother with the tripple fishermans like the knot in your picture, it is no stronger or more seccure, it is just over the top.

if you plan to tie and untie the loop use a zeppelin bend. no matter how much you load it it will not jam solid like the double fishermans allowing you to untie it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelin_bend

hope this helps:)
pete

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
yeah they're the strongest knot for joining 2 ends together. they're a bugger to untie if you put a load on them though

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
All i was suggesting to Rich was if the Amsteel blue hollow stuff was used and made into a whoopie sling there would be no knot,i gave Rich a couple down for the BB maybe they will be good for it.

sensi5446

Forager
Jun 15, 2009
Manchester
Thanks John, having tied a few again now it does look the same :) Things you do when you can't sleep eh

Amsteel is a Dyneema cord which the hammock guys over the pond rave about, they do all sorts of clever splicing tricks to create compression knots without the knots if you know what I mean.
I just want to create a loop of about 10" which I can hook round the end of a hammock and then back on itself to take a krab.

Would love to see some pics of your mod, I've just ordered a pair of whoopie slings from Kris off HF for my DD hammock and am gonna do a similar thing. I will make a small loop with a fisher man knot cut from the existing tape and run it through the end of the DD, then add a krab to that and my whoopie, jobs a gooden. :)

Gailainne

Life Member
yep thats the one, i,ve made up a few already.

If your coming to the next L.Lomond meet please bring one along, I still haven't got the hang of splicing neatly.

BTW quote from the animated knots site

"Safety - Use Triple: For load-bearing using modern high modulus ropes such as Spectra, Dyneema or Kevlar/Technora, use a Triple Fisherman's (on right)."

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well that was easy enough.

Just slackened off the ridgeline, removed the suspension line completely and swapped with the whoopie sling. Passed it through the ridgeline loop and pulled it all tight again.

I've just been crashed out for five minutes and it's holding right enough.

Gill / Stephen - Any idea which part of the WS is best for hanging directly on the karabiner ? I've hidden the thickest part where the bury starts in the loop around the hammock bundle. So I've got my Krab attached to the slimmest / single section of the WS now. Would it be better to slide it round so the krab sits on the thickest part ?

This was the old suspension line rig with my temporary overhand loop...
DSC01624.jpg

DSC01623.jpg

So I slackened off all this and removed the old grey amsteel line ..
DSC01626.jpg

Replaced with the whoopie slings ...
DSC01631.jpg

DSC01628.jpg

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If you get some, let us know how it works. No specs on the site?

I've used 3mm Marlow excel D12 for whoopies, but the 6mm stuff is overkill for hammock use IMO, unless its an elephant hammock. The 3mm is plenty-its over a 1000kg if I remember right. If its going to be knotted, the 4mm will be ample and will cost much less too-Dyneema doesn't come cheap.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
marlow excel 3mm has b/s of 995kg
is this enough as i weigh nearly 100kg and at 5 degrees the strain is about 10x weight?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Only you know your hammock and how you like it hung, but have you tried it at 30 degrees? It took me ages to realise I'd been hanging mine too tight-Ill never hang my hammock tight again-its much more comfy now. With the reduction in tension from more sag, you can lie flatter and lose any shoulder squeeze. It will also save you weight and money.
I use 900kg 2mm cord and I weigh 100kg.

As an aside, I don't know what hammock you have, but most hammcok material will probably not take much more than a few hundred kg before it rips anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE