Which knot for making a loop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Which knot do you recommend for putting a loop into a single piece of cord ?

I like the look of this but I'm knot :rolleyes: sure which one it is ...

klemheistR1.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Oh that's okay then because that's one I can tie reasonably well, it looks a bit more uniform and tidy than my efforts.

Do you know if it's good for load bearing ? I'm trying to create a strong loop in some amsteel for a hammock mod I'm messing with.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Oh that's okay then because that's one I can tie reasonably well, it looks a bit more uniform and tidy than my efforts.

Do you know if it's good for load bearing ? I'm trying to create a strong loop in some amsteel for a hammock mod I'm messing with.

If it's tied correctly it is ok for load bearing. I used them in my prussick loops cordlette and on some of my 'hexes' in my climbing kit...

What is Amsteel??

Cheers

John

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks John, having tied a few again now it does look the same :) Things you do when you can't sleep eh

Amsteel is a Dyneema cord which the hammock guys over the pond rave about, they do all sorts of clever splicing tricks to create compression knots without the knots if you know what I mean.
I just want to create a loop of about 10" which I can hook round the end of a hammock and then back on itself to take a krab.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Ok I understand now...

I reckoned it was something hammock related....

TBH I used some normal nylon cord on mine ( not even '550') and it was fine.. But I swapped over to flat climbing tape just to be on the safe side...

you'll have to take a photo when you're done...

IIRC you might need to be a bit cautious with knots in pure Spectra / dyneema as I understand it doesn't take a knot too well ( of that might be tape I forget now) just leave some decent length ends poking through on the knot.

Cheers

John

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
IIRC you might need to be a bit cautious with knots in pure Spectra / dyneema as I understand it doesn't take a knot too well ( of that might be tape I forget now) just leave some decent length ends poking through on the knot.

You are right about knotting dyneema but the issue comes more for us climbers; when a dyneema knot is shock loaded the speed of the stretch can cause enough friction to melt it. However shock loading is unlikely from a hammock so should be fine. Would still be gentle whilst getting onto the hammock the first time. Once the knot is bedded it will be cool.

pwb

Amsteel is a Dyneema cord which the hammock guys over the pond rave about, they do all sorts of clever splicing tricks to create compression knots without the knots if you know what I mean.
I just want to create a loop of about 10" which I can hook round the end of a hammock and then back on itself to take a krab.

I see what you mean about compression knots . I've been watching Shugemery's videos for noobs on You Tube, that Amsteel cord is amazing stuff :cool:.

Going to make your self a whoopie sling Rich :)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
If it's tied correctly it is ok for load bearing. I used them in my prussick loops cordlette and on some of my 'hexes' in my climbing kit...

What is Amsteel??

Cheers

John

yeah me to also have used barrel knots as stoppers end to end to do much the same job but in a smaller knot and i use 9mm paracord, the thick stuff from endys doubled up for my hammock.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon

ooooh Amsteel. You're thinking along the same lines as my post yesterday?

Can you get Amsteel over here?

LBL

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
ooooh Amsteel. You're thinking along the same lines as my post yesterday?

Can you get Amsteel over here?

LBL

I've been looking for a while now but not found a whole lot. Did you have to import Rich?

I've looked but I can't find any over here either, aparently there's a particular braid of Dyneema which we can get which is essentially the same stuff, but I'm not sure where to get it from.
I've got about 8' of surplus Amsteel on my Blackbird hammock so I'll probably just cut a length from that.

Last edited:

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Its not called Amsteel over here, its called Dyneema with an excel or a SK75 thrown in somewhere, heres a link to a marine supplier

Marlow seem to be the main supplier the 3mm excel racing is the stuff I use, it has twice the breaking load of paracord, it has an outer sheath which holds knots well.
This is different stuff again buddy,this is still very strong but it has a core like paracord.the stuff known in the US as Amsteel blue is hollow and because of this it can be spliced and made into constrictors.

Landy_Dom

Nomad
Jan 11, 2006
Mold, North Wales
After counting the round turns, I even think that it's a triple fisherman's knot.

I'd agree - although I'd not bother going triple myself - double is more than enough security.

Couple of tips - one - always leave a good couple of inches poking out of each end and two - tidy up said couple of inches by cable tieing ends to main strand.

I've trusted my life to double fishermans knots many a time in either rock or tree climbing and they're pretty bombproof.

Dom.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Its not called Amsteel over here, its called Dyneema with an excel or a SK75 thrown in somewhere, heres a link to a marine supplier

Marlow seem to be the main supplier the 3mm excel racing is the stuff I use, it has twice the breaking load of paracord, it has an outer sheath which holds knots well.

This is different stuff again buddy,this is still very strong but it has a core like paracord.the stuff known in the US as Amsteel blue is hollow and because of this it can be spliced and made into constrictors.

I bought 15m of the racing Dyneema but like Gill says it has a multi- strand core like paracord, still good stuff for ridgelines etc but not certainly not hollow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE