Which Hammock is best

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hawkmaster

Jul 16, 2010
bexhill on sea. east sussex
Hi

Please could I have some advice, I am about to buy a hammock, this will be my 1'st one so I don't want to waste my money.

Which would be best a DD or a TW hammock, with or without a mosquito net ?

Any advice will be gratefully received

Thanks

Hawkmaster

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
They're both good. My 2p

Get the longest and widest you can.
Get a net if you intend to use it in summer.
Get a breathable one (avoid the dd travel) it traps condensation.
Get a double layer base if you intend to use a mat.

Upgrade to webbing and whoopie slings.

Happy hanging.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well my first bit of advice would be to watch all of the playlist by Shugemery called 'Hammocking how to, for noobs and what nots'

[video=youtube;d7NZVqpBUV0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0&list=PLB87 52777861C2AA8[/video]

It really tells you most of what you need to know.

Ive had the DD frontline for about 3 years, myt friend has the TW green hornet. Both are good, I just ordered a TW XL as I wanted a hammock without bug netting.

:)

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
My first was a TW green hornet, it does everything you will need including a second pullaway hammock that can be used for someone else or for storing kit out the mud, plus its water proof incase you need to use it as a ground sheet.
Buy it with the mosquito net then if you dont need it up just turn the hammock over

I love mine and cannot fault it at all, its perfect for summer and winter camping, with the plus side of being able to be used as a bivvy if you have no trees to hang from.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I love DD hammocks, great products and an A+ customer service..but then I am totally bi-est.
I'd go for a hammock with a mossy net on it. You can always turn it the other way around so you don't have to use the net.
Plus hopefully I will be doing another group buy for them soon

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Plus hopefully I will be doing another group buy for them soon

Thumbs up to that :)

I have only tried my dd so I can only recommend that. My only thought to chuck in is what ever hammock you get I am sure you will love, but having a larger tarp will take away worries of getting damp as a 3x3 is only just big enough (touch wood I haven't got damp yet) but I often wake and check my hammock when its raining hard and the extra length would give better piece of mind.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
+1 to Tanks comment.
I use both types of DD hammock and prefer the Frontline. I also have a couple of DD 3x3 tarps but always use my DD XL for winter. I've attached press stud poppers to the edges so I can "close" the doors in cold/bad weather.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
My first was a TW green hornet, it does everything you will need including a second pullaway hammock that can be used for someone else or for storing kit out the mud, plus its water proof incase you need to use it as a ground sheet.
Buy it with the mosquito net then if you dont need it up just turn the hammock over

I love mine and cannot fault it at all, its perfect for summer and winter camping, with the plus side of being able to be used as a bivvy if you have no trees to hang from.

+ 1 to the above, also if you have never used a hammock before, it is a more cost effective way of finding out if hammocking is for you, as not everyone gets on with hammocks.:)

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I've just got a Woodsman X from UK Hammocks http://www.ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/article_5/Woodsman-X-hammock-(double).html?sessid=JJ7Krvxr7Q9J08YS66tHqZ3lImuTBQqcvR7kpRQWJ2D4v47mTPPd4dwtsjYKsTp4&shop_param=cid%3D2%26aid%3D5%26 I couldn't decide between that or a Warbonnet Blackbird, but after watching Mat's video I decided on the Woodsman X as I liked the idea of packing the bug net away and the adjustable footbox idea. I haven't had chance to try it out yet but was impressed that it came with everything needed to hang (straps, toggles and whoopies and the ridgeline organiser looks handy), the quality looks superb and the customer service from Mat is second to none.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've just got a Woodsman X from UK Hammocks http://www.ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/ar...4v47mTPPd4dwtsjYKsTp4&shop_param=cid=2&aid=5& I couldn't decide between that or a Warbonnet Blackbird, but after watching Mat's video I decided on the Woodsman X as I liked the idea of packing the bug net away and the adjustable footbox idea. I haven't had chance to try it out yet but was impressed that it came with everything needed to hang (straps, toggles and whoopies and the ridgeline organiser looks handy), the quality looks superb and the customer service from Mat is second to none.

+1 Mat knows his game and a pleasure to deal with :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Yup, it can be an addictive.

I was considering the Woodsman X as an uber light summer hammock (not that its not a very capable all seasons) but I'm waiting until the BB double 1.1
comes back in stock for a project.

Wait until you start getting into SRL's, ARL's, SLS, UCR's, Fixed brummels, constrictors, Dnyaglide versus Amsteel.

I'll stop now :)

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Thanks to all for the advice, now I am really confused, but I will order one and make the best of it . I can always upgrade in the future.

I have been using a DD camping hammock for a few years and it has been a great hammock (cheap enough not to worry if I didn't get on with it) and will still get used as a lounger/kit hammock around camp. I upgraded to a Woodsman X as I watched some of Shug's videos and like the Blackbird but wanted a similar hammock that didn't need extra tie outs (but alas no gear shelf) and the Woodsman X looked like my best bet. You won't go far wrong with a DD though.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
The simple way to think about them is-

End gathered. Traditional style hammocks and normally fairly cheap (or affordable) that are fairly comfy. I say fairly because they make
good day to day hammocks but 'some' users can suffer something called knee lock over night. Its where the stress between your ankles and your, erm, bum
is not supported sleeping, your spine curves outwards to follow the sag of the hammock, your knee's dont.

Side sleeping can get around this, but if you naturally lie on your back (as I do) it can wake you up during the night (the dull ache on your knee's)

To solve this problem, asymmetrical lay was developed in mid price hammocks (more fabric, more cost).
You sleep with your head to one side, legs the other. If the hammocks going 90 deg's, you sleep roughly 75 deg's across it (not along).

Then something called a footbox was developed to make the lay even more flat. This is a drop down section of fabric, specifically cut into the hammock.

xw39c.jpg

The more upper price hammocks have this foorbox, a static ridgeline which keeps the same ammount of sag in the hammock (so you always get the same lay)
and a few other things like amsteel suspension- incredibly strong, non stretching rope. If you dont pre-stretch cheaper cord/rope (sit in for 20 mins after tying) you can,
as I have, wake up on the floor due to slow and progressive stretch in your cords. Amsteel eliminates the need to pre-stretch.

Bridge hammocks are like lying on a stretcher, with support poles top and bottom. you get a very flat lay. As simple as that.

You cant go wrong with DD or TW. The hornet was my first hammock and served me well for about two years. It will do you no harm to have a look on hammock forums
if you decide hammocking is or you. A great out and about hammock can be made with something as simple as pertex, two steel rings and some amsteel.

Most of all, enjoy your hammock :)

Last edited:

ianpatt

Feb 26, 2013
Essex
Whatever you get always get a mozi net, even in this country they are worth having for a confy night.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Would be interested to hear why as in the very distant future I may upgrade. How's it compare to the hennessy asym explorer deluxe, or the ridgerunner?

Cheers

Mike

Missed this one sorry

I've not tried either of those so can't compare to the BB, I had an early HH Expedition which was too short for me so I got rid of it fairly sharpish, I've seen plenty of the Explorer Deluxes though and they look really comfy, plenty wide enough to get a good flat lay. Getting a quilt to work well on that much of an angle looks to be fairly tricky from what I've seen, they just need a few securing clips rather than just the suspension.
Not tried the Ridgerunner yet but I am curious, I had an old BMBH but I hated the shoulder squeeze so sold it on. I like what Brandon has done with the wider shoulder area but I'm not a fan of carrying extra poles to be honest, they do break and it's the end of a trip when it happens.

I still have other hammocks but the Blackbird is my first choice any time past March when the bugs start to appear, the footbox and shelf just give it the edge over any of the other competitors. I think they're both patented too so there will never be another design like it. They're wide enough that I'm almost 45* to the ridgeline which gets my feet nicely into the bottom of the foot box and eliminates any calf pressure or ridge. Being able to chuck a phone, book, drink, snacks, torch, hat, gloves etc etc into the shelf is just so handy too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE