Which disaster movie/book...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
A bit off topic but still with disaster in mind, Don't know if it's relevant or if anybody is even in the least bit interested, not books, not movies, but reality! Since around March 14 the Russians have had 5 very large boats then we still had 3 on the 13 June & today we still have 2 anchored in the bay just off the coast of Prestwick In front of Arran... HMS Gannet the local naval base has had fighter jets buzzing them almost daily there is also increased activity of helicopters flying in the area.... I have also heard there is a deluge of pollution of Diesel & rubbish coming from these ships... what's going on there then...??????

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Original BBC Survivors is my all time favourite despite the silly balloon. Did want more "Three men in a Land Rover" episodes and thought that the various one off appearances were a waste especially those of Brian Blessed (the wouldbe bushcraft king) and Patrick Troughton.

Have read an awful lot of American PA books recently and so many are more or less Prepper manuals. Father's threaten boyfriends of daughters, lots of guns, male strangers have a tendency to rape. Governments set up after the disaster will try and take your guns away and are automatically corrupt. Mostly boring with a few exceptions.

Kindle- "free post-apocalypse" is worth entering. At least you can often read the first volume of many series to see if it is worth buying the rest.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Unfortunately my partner always falls asleep two thirds into movies so never sees the end.
On the book front I wonder if any of you've read The Fifth Winter? The pretty bad Day After Tomorrow was based on it.
Freak weather causes major problems making parts of the globe go into a new ice age. With all the ecological, sociological & political ramifications that brings. Worth a read.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Do you mean The Sixth Winter? By Douglas Orgill? Very good book.

Yours must be the sequal. :D
Sorry kidding I did mean The Sixth Winter, got it turned around in my head, cheers for picking me up.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Non-fiction PA book-
[h=1]Ice: The Ultimate Human Catastrophe by Fred Hoyle, read and learn to love global warming.[/h]

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I'm just reading 'the art of eating through the zombie apocalypse' lots of interesting, funny, bushcraft and PA stuff in there..

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Survival Quest (1989) Not strictly a disaster/ post apocalyptic flick but has some surprisingly good elements as a group of tenderfoot bushcrafters are pursued through the woods by hunters with murderous intent.

[video=youtube_share;1pLRzaWGFgI]http://youtu.be/1pLRzaWGFgI[/video]

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Threads [Grim] Realistic look at post nuclear britain in the eighties

[video=dailymotion;x121ctu]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x121ctu_threads-1984-realistic-look-at-nuclear-war_shortfilms[/video]

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
A bit off topic but still with disaster in mind, Don't know if it's relevant or if anybody is even in the least bit interested, not books, not movies, but reality! Since around March 14 the Russians have had 5 very large boats then we still had 3 on the 13 June & today we still have 2 anchored in the bay just off the coast of Prestwick In front of Arran... HMS Gannet the local naval base has had fighter jets buzzing them almost daily there is also increased activity of helicopters flying in the area.... I have also heard there is a deluge of pollution of Diesel & rubbish coming from these ships... what's going on there then...??????

Interesting thats thats the first ive heard of it. it was in the telegraph that also in march Russia practised the invasion of norway, finland, denmark and sweden!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I've posted about these Australian 'Apocalypse' movies before, they may be of interest to folks looking through this thread.

The Rover:

The events take place in an Australia suffering the aftermath of peak oil and the collapse of law and order. Guy Pierce plays a chap who's car is stolen, he sets out to recover his vehicle with the brother of one of the car thieves left behind by the others.

Not a happy film but well shot and acted.

Trailer

These Final Hours:

I cannot really recommend it, I didn't enjoy it so much, mostly because I didn't care about most of characters, still it was well filmed and the plot certainly asked some interesting questions.

The gist is that a huge asteroid, several kilometres across is going to hit the Earth, Nasa and the rest swing into action to break the thing up. They fail and film begins ten minutes after the object lands somewhere in the North Atlantic.

A huge firestorm sweeps out from from the impact point and will eventually circle the globe wiping out all life on the planet.

The events of the film take place in Perth, Australia, which has twelve hours to wait before the firestorm arrives. As the film progresses intermittent radio broadcasts indicate the destruction of Europe, North America etc.

Of course knowing that the end is near everyone gathers their loved ones to them and sits down to quietly contemplate the end...

...of course they don't it all goes to hell in a bucket and the worst aspects of humanity come to the fore.

Trailer

:)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Watched the first episode of a new series the other night call "Zoo".
Premise is that animals are loosing their natural fear of humans around the globe and banding together to do something about it.
I like the idea of it and it was pretty well done and well acted. Was also pretty realistic as the Landrovers kept breaking down :D
Have often thought how lucky we are in the UK that there's not that much out to get us. Though cows attacking dog walkers and farmers being nutted to death (about 3 per annum) by sheep mean that you can't rule it out. I love dogs but still always ask the owner if I can pet them. Folk don't teach their kids on how to approach/read dogs and one can take you out quite easily. Statisticaly JRT's are the worst for attacking folk. My last one was a JRT and though he.liked people he wasn't sure of kids yet they used to come rushing in to try to cuddle him which he didn't like. My mut before him was different. 12 stone of Wolfhound which folk were nervous of but the softest lump you could meet.
Back on wild animals I know that.in certain parts of the States that mountain lions are getting braver at sneaking up on folk. Some other cultures (India I think) used to get 'round that by wearing a mask on the back of their head as tigers like to take you from the rear.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Back on wild animals I know that.in certain parts of the States that mountain lions are getting braver at sneaking up on folk. Some other cultures (India I think) used to get 'round that by wearing a mask on the back of their head as tigers like to take you from the rear.

So many matelot jokes , so little time....

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
When looking for a bit of light entertainment mixed with survival, The Grey with Liam Neeson is a barrel of laughs! And you learn some poetry for your troubles as well.

Biker

For books the best ones for me has been a series of three books titled Zombie Rules by David Achord I read these at the beginning of the year whilst getting over that flu' bug that was doing the rounds. Unoputdawnable books there were and laced with so many top tips. Not only in prepping but general information on survival.

As for Mesquite endorsement of these books. I put him onto them over at Farcebook and he read the trilogy inside a week I think.

As has been said SM Stirling's Dies the Fire was REALLY enjoyable. Loved that book a lot.

Watched The Book of Eli on DVD the other night, rather good it is too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE