Which disaster movie/book...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Excellent - I'm glad books are being added. Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't seen the film of the Road but the book is very good. I'd add both the book and the film of I am Legion. Try the book first, and then the film, they are different but both have some posers for the Bushcraft community.

I think there's a difference between the supernatural disasters and the dystopian disasters, but bushcraft skills can be useful in both, albeit in different ways.

And if we kill the lion there's dinner and a nice coat too..

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Classic film

[video=youtube;VXeT-yHNcFI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXeT-yHNcFI[/video]

as is

[video=youtube;fryZlhcO6I4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fryZlhcO6I4[/video]

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
One i watched last year...not great, but watchable.

On the Beach..Brief summary as i dont want to spoil it for anyone.

The USS Charleston (SSN-704), a 688i variant of the Los Angeles-class, is equipped with a caterpillar drive and is on station following a nuclear exchange. The nuclear war was preceded by a standoff between the United States and China, after the latter blockaded and later invaded Taiwan. The submarine crew finds refuge in Melbourne, Australia which the radioactive fallout has not yet reached.

When Captain Dwight Towers (Armand Assante), Australian scientist Julian Osborne (Bryan Brown) and Australian liaison officer Peter Holmes (Grant Bowler) find out there is an automated digital broadcast coming from Alaska in the Northern Hemisphere, the submarine is sent to investigate. The submarine surfaces in San Francisco, where the Golden Gate Bridge has collapsed and the city shoreline is in ruins.

full movie..
[video=youtube;zjt8jAh_OBo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjt8jAh_OBo[/video]

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
For a little out of this world bushcraft there’s the SciFi classic "Robinson Crusoe on Mars [1964]"
Not seen or read The Martian yet but it's on my to do list.

Staying off-world the book "Shipwrecked" by Charles Logan is a heartbreaking page turner about never giving up.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've just searched for Seveneves, and on amazon they are giving a free upload of this to a kindle cloud - if anyone's interested....

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For books you just cannot do better than "Lucifers Hammer" an absolute top three apocalyptic book.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Excellent - I'm glad books are being added. Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't seen the film of the Road but the book is very good. I'd add both the book and the film of I am Legion. Try the book first, and then the film, they are different but both have some posers for the Bushcraft community.

I think there's a difference between the supernatural disasters and the dystopian disasters, but bushcraft skills can be useful in both, albeit in different ways.

And if we kill the lion there's dinner and a nice coat too..

I take it you mean I am Legend? I also recommend the book and the three adaptations for the big screen. Latest one with Will Smith, although I don't like the God-stuff in the end. The Classic "the Omega man" with Charlton Heston, and last but not least "The Last Man on Earth" from -64. The last one is closet to the book.

All these are more of an apocalyptic nature, than bushcraft oriented, but the survival and foraging element is there.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
That's not reading predictive text for you, my bad. Thanks for the correction. I'd forgotten all about the Omega Man, I wonder if it's on you tube somewhere? Thanks Rik_Uk3 - I knew I'd seen that recently. A great book - I've not seen the film - worth a look? Or will it mean I never go wild camping on my own again (it's why I won't watch the Blair witch project)?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
20th Century Fox has just released the trailer for "The Martian."
Watched it a minute ago. That's one film that is a "must-see" for me.
Matt Damon fits the mental image I have.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
20th Century Fox has just released the trailer for "The Martian."
Watched it a minute ago. That's one film that is a "must-see" for me.
Matt Damon fits the mental image I have.

Here you go...

[video=youtube;Ue4PCI0NamI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4PCI0NamI[/video]

It looks fun.

:)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
In his/her last post dewi just put up a spoiler for a different movie, Matt Damon appears in that other movie but wasn't listed in the cast, when he appears it is supposed to be a surprise.

If you want to see the spoiler, highlight the text in that post.

Having watched the trailer for the Martian, but not yet having read the book, I suspect that folks who enjoyed reading it may well enjoy Neal Stephenson's Seveneves that was mentioned earlier.

The Martian may well be my next read.

:)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE