Which disaster movie/book...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I take it you mean I am Legend? I also recommend the book and the three adaptations for the big screen. Latest one with Will Smith, although I don't like the God-stuff in the end. The Classic "the Omega man" with Charlton Heston, and last but not least "The Last Man on Earth" from -64. The last one is closet to the book.

Are you including "I am Omega" on that list? ([url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1075746/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_31)[/URL]

I make my kids watch it on netflix as a punishment for seriously bad behaviour...:lmao:

The director couldn't be bothered filming some sequences so sticthed some old stuff together. The background changes back and forth from urban environment to woodland, the weapons being fired from MP5's to M16s/AK47's. Even Mark Dacascos (who used to be reliable for a decent action/martial arts movies) couldn't save this post apocalyptic turkey.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I woke up this morning and remembered 'z for Zechariah' I've still got the book somewhere. There was a TV movie adaptation I think. Or I may be confusing it with the Day of the Triffids - cracking BBC version in the eighties.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I woke up this morning and remembered 'z for Zechariah' I've still got the book somewhere. There was a TV movie adaptation I think. Or I may be confusing it with the Day of the Triffids - cracking BBC version in the eighties.

No confusion Lizz. It was a Play For Today in 1984 starring Anthony Andrews & Pippa Hinchley.
(I have it sitting on a hard drive. Though I think it's still on Youtube).
Very good adaptation with the budget of a Blake's Seven episode. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Surprised no-ones mentioned 'Threads' yet, the TV adaptation of Britain being nuked. Now that was GRIM.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I've just seen Jurassic World - I suggest there is mileage there for a bushcraft survival situation! And there is about to be a new version of Z for Zechariah! Thanks Goatboy - it comes back to me, wow 1984... I seem to recall there were lots of dystopian movies that year, just to fit the zeitgeist, or maybe drive it..

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've just seen Jurassic World - I suggest there is mileage there for a bushcraft survival situation! And there is about to be a new version of Z for Zechariah! Thanks Goatboy - it comes back to me, wow 1984... I seem to recall there were lots of dystopian movies that year, just to fit the zeitgeist, or maybe drive it..

Think there was a prevading sense of doom as we all thought we were going to go boom. Can't remember the date but I was laying in the bath with the wireless going on the shelf. Then it went dead and there was some static. Then the nuclear siren went off. Remember laying there thinking b#**%r! 4 minutes to live and I'm in the bath...
Then Frankie Goes To Hollywoods "Two Tribes" started to play. I hadn't heard it before but had heard of it. Boy was I relieved.
As you say though there was a spate of films and programs about doom then. There was one that was on when I turned on the telly when I got in one night. It seemed to be a newscast about how a group of dissident scientists had a nuclear device and were holed up in a building in a dockyard in the states, they were demanding disarmament or they were going to set it off. Which they did. It was well done and you were never quite sure if it was fiction or real.

JayOram

Apr 20, 2011
Kent
What about World War Z - both the book, the film and also the same author (Max Brooks) did the Zombie Survival guide. All a bit far out there (no more than some other films on the thread!)

Trailer Link: https://youtu.be/HcwTxRuq-uk

The book is actually a good little read, and the survival book makes you think. One part especially talks about mass outbreak of a 'disease' that the government covers up (I read it just before the Ebola outbreak stuff) - I don't think it is a zombie outbreak, or is it...

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I keep missing that... Thanks for IMDb link it'll job my memory next time I need a shot of disasters I have not yet known!

I reread Deliverance over the weekend and then read the book again - lots of opportunities there!

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I should read my posts better - I read the book and then watched the film.. Oh they look so young!

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
The best film of the genre in my opinion is Castaway... story of an ordinary man cast away on a desert island and his struggle to adapt to his environment... couple of bits, especially the 'dental' scene make you think about what you'd do if you were put in that situation.

Saying that, a film that always makes me chuckle is Shaun of the Dead. Simple plan, take car, grab Mum, kill Phil, get Liz and go to the Winchester for a nice cold pint and wait for this to all blow over. But they don't half make a hash of it.

And dogs can look up!

Zombie movies? "warm Bodies made me giggle"

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Another part of Cast Away I find fascinating is 'Wilson'.

Extended times away from home and particularly in a lonely environment, it is quite bizarre how you can get an emotional attachment to things... perhaps not quite as much as Tom Hanks character, but then he was in an extreme environment. I once had a small stuffed dog toy in my van, it traveled with me everywhere and when I sold the van, I forgot it was there due to it being a chaotic transaction. It sounds daft, but I sort of miss that dog. Inanimate object maybe, but the journeys where I looked up and saw it on the shelf, the breakdowns when I fell asleep on the back cab seats staring at it. Even more bizarre, I didn't name it... yet I still miss it. I presume I have some deep seated psychological issues that need to be resolved by crossing the palm of a therapist twice a week for three years. :p

Yea +1 I had a small stuffed bear which my then girl friend gave me when I passed my driving test it had a little blue velvet tie like Yoggy bear style, I hung it on the mirror of all my cars for many many years his fur became realy hard & faded he started off brown ended up pink & he smelt like an old carpet (see what I did there) old & dusty after 13 years or more! He finally died in a car fire, It sounds daft, but I sort of miss that stupid little bear.

Back on topic.... The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy, Based on Douglas Adams' Novel... has to be up there?l

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I keep missing that... Thanks for IMDb link it'll job my memory next time I need a shot of disasters I have not yet known!

I reread Deliverance over the weekend and then read the book again - lots of opportunities there!

Take it you're a fan of Southern Comfort (1981) too? Excellent film with a good cast and nicely paced.
Though I think the first EOTWAWKI film that I had as a fav (still is) and deals with lonleyness very well is Silent Running (1972). Was just blown away by that when I saw it first.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I love Silent Running, it's the first film I remember that made me cry! Wow, turns out my husband loved it too - I keep asking him about things mentioned on this thread. BushcraftUK as marriage enrichment!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE