Which bow did I buy?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

A friend of mine recently sold me his archery bow and arrows, before moving abroad.

Now I know it seems silly, but I'm not sure which model it is.
I do know it is a Ragim 28", but even after looking through their website, I still can't tell which model it is.

I've searched the web for archery forums, but there doesn't seem to be any, and thought BCUK would be a possible place to ask about it.

Unfortunately I dont seem to have the time to get involved in the sport, despite wanting to, so don't know anyone else to ask about it.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide,

Kind regards,

Paul.

leon-1

Hi,

A friend of mine recently sold me his archery bow and arrows, before moving abroad.

Now I know it seems silly, but I'm not sure which model it is.
I do know it is a Ragim 28", but even after looking through their website, I still can't tell which model it is.

I've searched the web for archery forums, but there doesn't seem to be any, and thought BCUK would be a possible place to ask about it.

Unfortunately I dont seem to have the time to get involved in the sport, despite wanting to, so don't know anyone else to ask about it.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide,

Kind regards,

Paul.

Interesting question, but you will be unlikely to get an answer with the information provided.

You have probably gathered the same as we have from it. The make ; Ragim and the draw length 28 inches.

Do you know anything else about it?

Has it recurved limbs?
Are the limbs detachable?
What combination of materials is the bow made from?
How long is the bow?

The answer to those questions will help us to identify what bow you have.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi leon-1,

I don't know much about it, and there's no other marking on it, (apart from Ragim, Italy).

I'm not sure what recurved limbs are, but they are detachable, and appear to be made of two types of wood (1 dark, 1 light coloured), and are sandwiched beteen a type of white plastic.
The main handel they are attached to is wooden, and there is a threaded rod that screws in and sticks out beyond the bow, made by Sherwood.
The case is made my Perris, and to string the bow you need to use a devise to pull back the limbs.

When the limbs are attached the bow measures approx 165cm unstrung.

I wish I could be more specific, but I am not down with the correct lingo.
Any thing else I might be able to provide??

Kind regards,

Paul.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
from your description it sounds like a laminated recurve bow.But as the others have said more info or pictures would help. You could check the draw weight by holding the handle in a vice and drawing it to 28'' with a spring balance. That would give you a better idea of the power and enable you to buy some arrows rated to the power.

leon-1

There are a few bows that could possibly fit the bill.

The Ragim Victory

or possibly

The Ragim Crossfire with different coloured limbs.

Or Even

The Ragim Wildcat, which is a beginners bow (as described by Ragim).

Recurved limbs are limbs which curve slightly forward as you see with the bows in the above links.

With the length you have mentioned that would probably be called a 66" length. I hope this is of use, ATB,

Leon:)

H

High on Hex

The limbs being white laminate suggest it's a beginners training bow. Manufacturers change model names on these generic bows regularly so identifying it could well be impossible. I have a feeling that Ragim were also marketed as Tamar but i could be wrong. If you're looking to sell it look up Pignut on here. He was asking for training bows for his scout group recently.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thanks for the info guys.

I would post up pics, but I only have a c?!$y camera, and am not sure how to post pics on the web.

The bow looks very simular to the ones posted up in your links, I'm guessing it's one of those.

I'm not sure if I want to sell it yet, I proberly paid too much for it, although there is a leather case and 15 arrows with it, and I know they aren't all that cheap.

Thank you all for your help, you all seem so knowledgeable with this subject, I feel a right newb!!

Cheers,

Paul.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
If you're just launching at targets, you don't need much more than the bow you've got. It'll be a good starting point and will let you sort out technique.
once you get proficient you can decide whether or not you want to splash out on something better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE