Which basic smock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
In Wood, I am VERY impressed with your tie job on that smock, puts my plain OG one to shame, I'm almost considering getting a second smock now.

I'll second Clems Comment about German WW2 camo.

I used Dylon Olive green dye, I'm also interested in the results of fabsil treating, though i'm sure Eric Methven swears by the Thomsons waterseal says the smell goes away if you ahng it in a stiff breeze.

If you can waterproof this smock reasonably welll the i personally thinks its the dogs danglies, it could only be made more percect with the inclusion of a chest pocket.

Andy

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
I've, ahem, put a bit on since I left the mob, Spam,
Hence most things military are no longer anywhere near big enough. A 51" chest with 18stone behind it, takes some material to cover up!

ATB

Ogri the trog

I have that prob as well Ogri,

have had my sweedish smock for a year (button up one), but havnt used it, couldnt figure out what to do with it, so thanks to everyone on this post i would never of thought of dyeing and waterproofing it. am going to have a go at the tie-dyeing. hope i can do as good a job as you ian. mind you i also like just the dark blue that oetzi has done (nice pic by the way oetzi). hopefully i will be using it in conjunction with my snugpac jacket in a couple of weeks as am of to austria, so should be both warm and dry.

Mimung

May 30, 2007
Sweden
@ Rob84

I forgot... Nice work with both the dyeing and the wood buttons. Mine is dark brown and even the buttons (original) have caught some color. They´re some kind of khaki now. Me also thought of german IIWW camo. /Mimung

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The tie dye is a good job. I haven't waterproofed mine yet, but it does cardboard up when it gets wet in the rain! Iwas stood in the rain chatting to a guy after dropping the youngest off at nursery and it was tipping it down. We stood and chatted for over an hour in the rain. I had a pembletons woollen shirt on underneath a Swanni ranger, and the smock on top. I personally didn't get wet at all. The swanni was a little damp.

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Just to say thank you for all the possitive comments on my smock and the buttons and to thank rob 84 again for putting the pictures on.:D

Yes I used Dylon dye and just did it bit by bit, I used the dark colour first whilst it was all tied up and knotted so the dark only went on certain areas, then used lighter colours as I started to untie it, this darkened the other colors as it went on.

The smell from the fabsil was a bit of a problem at first, I hung it out for two days but could still smell it, but after crawling through bushes and woods in it it smells very earthy now.

I will not wash it, just let it dry and brush off excess dirt, that way it keeps its proofing and zero scent. It is great for tracking in as it is so quiet and can really hide your face and shape.

yes taking it off does require some artfull moves but a small price to pay.:p

I have been out in it in REALLY HEAVY rain:eek: , I started to feel a bit damp but I did not really get wet, I think it acted a bit Ventile-ish, the most just ran off but some areas got damp but I think it swelled and stopped the most. I have to admit I was impressed I did not think it would work that well.:cool:

So again thanks for all your comments, lets see some pictures of yours too.

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
am as i type dying mine, have opted for dark blue as I havnt got the spair cash for three colour tye-dye attempt. "to much month at the end of the money". so will put pic up when done.

just for interest if you put "Swedish Army Arctic Warfare Parka. Snow Camouflage" on evil bay they are £14.99 plus p&p this is where i got mine from and they provide very good service.

Boon

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Iam gonna get meself a couple Swedish Snow smocks and have a crack at dying them/camo pattern as Wood has.Done a cracking job I reckon.

R

Runs for cake

Despite all the above I have to say the Titantex smock is the single best garment ever made by anyone ever. It has been totally waterproof for me and for one simple reason.

It is possessed of magical qualities. No matter how hard it rains , for how long etc etc, whenever I step outdoors in it the rain stops. I can walk round for hours under the most threatening skies imaginable then as soon as I'm indoors again the rain will resume.

We have floods across half the country, road and rail links impassable but my smock cannot even get wet , ever. Now thats worth £15 of anyone's cash.

Jan 6, 2008
Hi guys

First post!

I ordered a Sweedish smock from exarmy.co.uk almost 2 weeks ago and havent had anything.

If you ordered one from them how long did it take to arrive?

The email address on the checkout bounces back as not used, I tried the contact form on the web site and got no reply and there is no phone number on the web site to phone them.

I am wondering if I have lost my £20.

Anyone else waiting for an order from them?

Seb

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
What did you pay with? Credit cad or Paypal? Contact your credit card people and get them to get your cash back, or if it was Paypal, go through the process of claiming your money back by filing a dispute.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Let all follow as Wood has done and see who come us with the best modified smock,a comp if you will :D It'd be fun!:)

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
Like that idea clem, am off to austria end of next week so will have a go when i get back, the one i already have has taken to the dye very well, will put a pic up when i get back. am taking it with me so will try and get an arty shot in the snow. lol

Boon

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Like that idea clem, am off to austria end of next week so will have a go when i get back, the one i already have has taken to the dye very well, will put a pic up when i get back. am taking it with me so will try and get an arty shot in the snow. lol

Boon
It'd be fun don't you think! :)

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I did mine in a Dylon olive colour, just a single dyeing in a “crushed” pattern, then waterproofed with Thomson’s waterseal. The Thomson’s has worked very well, though it has made the smock rather stiff. A little bit of wear and tear should soften it up a bit I would think. I made the mistake of putting the wooden buttons on after I dyed the smock thinking the Thomson’s would darken the wood, sadly it didn’t, so I now have to find a way to tone down the almost white buttons to a more natural colour.

All in all I very pleased with the result, money well spent.

I got it from Genuine army surplus btw, was here in about 3 days from order.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I'm thinking of getting the Swedish Army Smock but I have a few questions i'd be greatful if people could answer.

1. I alaready have a Swanndri Ranger, so will the smock still be useful when wearing this or will it just be doing the same job?

2. My Swanndri is meduim and i'm about average height and build. I don't really want the smock to be a tent so which size would be best to go for?

3. I have some NikWax TX Direct wash in, will this be any good for water proofing the smock?

Thanks

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Zammo,
as an answer to your first question, I often wear both my Swannie and the smock - as I find the wind gets through the wool, if worn alone, but is held at bay by the smock.
Afraid I can comment on the other two though.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Thanks for the reply Ogri, sounds like it will be useful then.

Has anyone got the Medium or small version, if so what is the chest size on them?

Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE