A jacket for bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Hej!

SASS Kit smock here. Fades a bit over time, but as a breathable and relatively wind/shower proof layer, I haven't found anything to match it.

Well speaking smocks I've turned to the UK for a model in Ventille (unavailable here). Several years ago the car was broken into at a trailhead and a favorite Marmot anorak in Goretex was stolen. I have a synthetic anorak (I think we call smocks anoraks here in the US) but wanted one that is more geared to bushcrafting and the requisite use and proximity to fire-lots of fire.
I studied all the manufacturers in the UK (that I could find) and decided to order the Hilltrek Braemar with mods based on a pic I found on this site=enlarged hood, wired brim, poppers versus velcro, two compass pockets and double ventille....I even ordered the same color scheme-olive outer and antique bronz inner (my salute to that poster's good taste!)
All anoraks I've had were a tussle to don and off....but that same synthetic model mentioned above has a side zipper which makes all the difference in the world. I asked Hillcraft to add one of these as well.
The Braemar will be used primarily over the Empire Canvas Works Boreal Shirt..if you don't know this shirt here is a link, just scroll down:
http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/woolblanketshirt.htm
As an ultralightweight backpacker synthetics do have their place but for stumbling through the bush and crawling under the thickets, and kneeling down to bellow the fire up, well I can see ventille in my life.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
sas smock, just the best design, i have the over the head ones as well as newer ones, including a private purchase sass og garbadine( not the ventile type). am working on a modded swedish snow smock.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I have been using a Keela falkland ventile jacket this winter ,great bit of kit .

You can zip a fleece inside for colder days ,and with the waterproof liner you have no worries about getting wet.

On realy cold days i use it with a keela genesis fleece ,very warm , wind and waterproof combination .

Long sleeves with good shoulder room dosn't restrict movement.

I found it quite a light jacket only being single layer ventile and the micro laminate liner

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/keela_falkland_advance_jacket/

Craig............

not to put you off but the store you have linked to can be a little erm, well how to put it, erm ropey at times with service?
i asked for a combination of rat packs from them to avoid having a dozen of the same foods and got you've guessed it a dozen curry ration packs! and it took a good while for the delivery to come through.
sorry to rain in your parade but thought you might like prewarning
nice jacket though

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Keela have developed this concept further by adding our own liner system, Innovation XL. This soft, comfortable lining has inherent wicking abilities and is also laminated with a hydrophilic, breathable membrane, to successfully combat condensation build up and keep the wearer warm and dry.

Breathable membrane liner? For me that would defeat the whole purpose of going for ventile. I choose ventile over the man-made "breathable membranes" purely because ventile is actually adequately "breathable"... unlike many of the "technical" fabrics...

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Well speaking smocks I've turned to the UK for a model in Ventille (unavailable here). Several years ago the car was broken into at a trailhead and a favorite Marmot anorak in Goretex was stolen. I have a synthetic anorak (I think we call smocks anoraks here in the US) but wanted one that is more geared to bushcrafting and the requisite use and proximity to fire-lots of fire.
I studied all the manufacturers in the UK (that I could find) and decided to order the Hilltrek Braemar with mods based on a pic I found on this site=enlarged hood, wired brim, poppers versus velcro, two compass pockets and double ventille....I even ordered the same color scheme-olive outer and antique bronz inner (my salute to that poster's good taste!)
All anoraks I've had were a tussle to don and off....but that same synthetic model mentioned above has a side zipper which makes all the difference in the world. I asked Hillcraft to add one of these as well.
The Braemar will be used primarily over the Empire Canvas Works Boreal Shirt..if you don't know this shirt here is a link, just scroll down:
http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/woolblanketshirt.htm
As an ultralightweight backpacker synthetics do have their place but for stumbling through the bush and crawling under the thickets, and kneeling down to bellow the fire up, well I can see ventille in my life.

That was me ! Hope you're liking it ! That wool smock looks interesting as well

NS

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Canvas Hooded Anorak Water Repellant.
I have a modded one of these when they were first for sale through Endicotts, but the stopped selling them due to build quality issues.
But I see on Whipperleys Military & Outdoor Ltd they have started to sell them in OG,Sand and Camo.
The one I have i've replaced the velcro at the neck with buttons and waxed it with Fjallraven Greenland Wax, and it works very well as a overlayer!!!
No connection with any of the above retailers etc!!!
IMGP2756-1.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE