Begadi Dancam Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I decided I wanted a new smock as I prefered the colour of my flecktarn parka but liked the pockets of the British Army smocks. The intended use is for everyday dog walking and outdoor stuff at the weekends. I looked at the new MTP smocks with the pockets and armpit vents but due to events beyond my control last weekend, it didn't happen. I then got to searching and came across a couple of old threads on here by member Torc,that pointed to Begadi of Germany. It incuded his search for a smock and a quick review when he bought one and a couple of years later a comment that he still had it and was happy with it. So i had a look at one of the links in the old post that led to here http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/Smocks_B25OYF.aspx I had ummed and arghed over the Mitec smocks before, but with such a bad reputation I left them alone, but the Begadi looked an agreable price in the sale. Well it ticked my boxes, lots of pockets, couple of good reviews and armpit vents and a colour and pattern that didn't make me look too much of wannabe soldier, although at my age and fitness those days are past me anyway!

Torc had mentioned about the sizes being a bit big; this made me scratch my head a bit but after emailing Begadi in Germany, talking to Action Hobbies here and a PM to Torc I settled on the large size, but normally i'm an XL. The smock arrived yesterday after ordering on Tuesday and the size equates roughly to an army 180/112.

I am quietly pleased about it, as it has everything I want in a smock. The material is polycotton and could do with a bit of treatment to make it more water resistant. That said, I have a couple of niggles, but they are minor and won't detract me from wearing it. The arm pockets are zipped and I would have preferred them to be buttoned like the army smock. I will be removing the velcro patches as I've no need for them. The draw cord does the job but looks cheap and will be replaced with laces or para cord and cord locks put on. The pockets are fine but not as big as the army pockets. If I could get a plain one for the same price of £53, (available from Begadi in Germany, but I'd be looking at nearly £90), for normal day to day use about town I would, but the wife would kill me.

Here is the shop blurb.

"This versatile jackest made from quick drying poly-cotton fabric (RipStop) is a faithfull adaption of the "85 Pattern Windproof Smocks" of the british army, with a bit of chambering for modern demands, as quick drying fabric, modern velcro, etc...

This genourously cut jacket features 15 pockets and adjustable hood.

The pockets are positioned as follows:
2 x Chestpockets, "napoleon style", zipper closed
2 x Chestpockets
2 x Hippouches
2 x Hippouches, small, benath arms
2 x Seatpouches, at the back
2 x "Poacherpouches" inside of back
1 x Document pouch, inside
1 x FAK / beacon pouch on right elbow
1 x Pouch on left shoulder"

As I said I am very happy with it and the colour looks quite bright at the moment but after being used for a bit that will fade a bit. I will get a couple of photos at the weekend will out and about.

Any questions just ask.

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• 08022013969.jpg
    08022013969.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 08022013968.jpg
    08022013968.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 08022013967.jpg
    08022013967.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 08022013966.jpg
    08022013966.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 39
  • 08022013965.jpg
    08022013965.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 33

SI-Den

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2011
Norfolk
Looks like a good jacket, what sort of size are the pockets? Big enough for a mess tin or smaller 'hexi stove' size? (not that I'd put a mess tin in a pocket justthi king of the size!)

I'd been tempted to get one of these in DPM for a while, until we were issued with our MTP kit.....

Although I could be tempted to get a plain colour one for non ACF stuff

Den

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I've been wearing it for a couple of days now and this is what I've found.

It is windproof and in the rain it does wet out but didn't get drip wet through. The single layer body and arms became damp but it didn't come through on the double layer shoulders and hood. I assume this was because the cotton fibres in the polycotton swelled when wet, but I have no idea if this was the case.

Each front bellows pockets have plastic D rings sewn on the inside; and in response to the question above, each pocket can hold approx 2 hexi stoves.

I have started to remove the velcro patches, but the type of material does leave little needle holes, but i'm hoping these will disappear over time, (my wife was right that it would do this and is laughing at me now).

I will replace the hood/waist/hem rope with para cord and cord locks as this looks like cheap cord at the moment.

Overall I am very happy with the smock, so much that if I could afford it and get it past SWMBO then I'd get another plain one, from Germany.

Thanks

09022013973.jpg09022013975.jpg09022013976.jpg09022013978.jpg

Attachments

• 09022013974.jpg
    09022013974.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 25

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE