Where can I get some wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 20, 2009
West Bridgford
Does anyone know where in the UK I can get some hardwood (ash or oak for preference) suitable for making into a quarterstaff or long walking staff. I guess it would need to be split down to a reasonable size so that I just needed to finalise the shape with an adze.
Thanks.
MichaelofWB

You can get ash or Oak planks from any wood merchant if you ask them, its not cheap though , they will cut it to any size you want for a fee.
If you want walking staffs or sticks Hazel would be a good bet just take a walk in the woods with a saw :)

Muncus

Does anyone know where in the UK I can get some hardwood (ash or oak for preference) suitable for making into a quarterstaff or long walking staff. I guess it would need to be split down to a reasonable size so that I just needed to finalise the shape with an adze.
Thanks.
MichaelofWB

Hi Michael

If you are anywhere near Glossop or Derby I may be able to help you out, I've been felling Ash and Sycamore in Derby and up near Glossop I have some 18 year old Oak trees that have been thinned out - They are otherwise destined for a chipper.

All green though.

James

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Thanks.
MichaelofWB
Try your local tree surgeons, they have any amount of wood (admittedly a lot of it is not exactly construction grade clean straight and knot free.....but you might just get lucky :D ). A lot gets chipped, see if you can arrange with them to get there first:) You will find it much easier to cut and shape the wood if its still green and fresh. An adze might not be the easiest tool to do the job with. Maybe consider a normal axe to get the basic shape (from a split out quarter or eighth of ash or aok), then a knife (or better still a drawknife), maybe a spokeshave if you want a very fine finish. You could steam the wood to make it temporily pliable, to straighten it if it has minor bends. Steaming will assist the drying process. If you use a split section dont forget to cut the pithy section away from where the centre of the log was. Hazel is also a good bet, the sticks are already round but it takes time to dry them out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE