Where can i find a stainless kettle and pan?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Dont really like hard-anodised aluminium, fine in the house but becomes a bother long term in the woods. Dont mind a extra 100/150 grams as it will only be for camping not hiking :)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
, fine in the house but becomes a bother long term in the woods.

Really, ive used mine on a fairly regular basis for a couple of years now and not had any problems with it at all.

What bother does it become?, just interested to know, as i know a few people who have these, some who use them on weekly basis and ive never heard anything but good about them

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Really, ive used mine on a fairly regular basis for a couple of years now and not had any problems with it at all.

What bother does it become?, just interested to know, as i know a few people who have these, some who use them on weekly basis and ive never heard anything but good about them

Not so much a bother but little things like i take a stainless scourer to clean pans and dont want to mark them as the heat flakes more off.. and my last alu pans burnt all meats

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
Try to find a U.S. Army oval mess tin, stainless steel, with folding handle,and the lid doubles as a two-compartment plate. If you're really lucky, you'll find one with the knife fork and spoon inside. I've had mine for about 20 years and it's still good as new.

Alan

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Kettle here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1L-STAINL...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item2eb8ee90ed I've used an aluminium version for years no problem so the stainless steel version will be fine too.

Pot gripper and £2 non stick flan dish from wilko for the pan.

Like the look of the kettle but not the plastic handles. Thats the problem ive had with all previous ones and when im looking around to buy one!!

Get ur self a Kelly kettle and a cast ion frying pan from Ronnie sunshines

Drew

Not what im after, cast iron is too heavy for my new campsite which is 7 miles away and i dont like kelly kettles.

Like the look of the 'mucket' thanks Rich :) Not too sure on the plate, would you be able to use a pot grip or would it have to be pliers?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
On one of mine I took the handle off, its a solid wire loop. Look at how the handle joins the pot, remove the handle and attach a hanging bale; doubt you will get much more for a tenner.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
On one of mine I took the handle off, its a solid wire loop. Look at how the handle joins the pot, remove the handle and attach a hanging bale; doubt you will get much more for a tenner.

I don't really have a budget- don't want to spend too much but i want something that will last. Only looking for something around a liter that i can put over a fire without worrying about melting knobs and handles :eek:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I have one like Rik mentioned and have used it over open fires for a number of years now and never had a problem with the palstic handle, either suspended on a pot hanger or on a griddle, if it's that much of a worry why not get one and just replace the handle as suggested above, all you will need is a bit of bike brake cable or old wire coat hanger, should take about a minute to mod it at a cost of pennies

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I have one like Rik mentioned and have used it over open fires for a number of years now and never had a problem with the palstic handle, either suspended on a pot hanger or on a griddle, if it's that much of a worry why not get one and just replace the handle as suggested above, all you will need is a bit of bike brake cable or old wire coat hanger, should take about a minute to mod it at a cost of pennies

Not too sure how to do the cable if im honest, i seen something about it but it didnt make much sense to me.
Just wondered if there was anything on the marked as ive seen them but only abroad.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
just loop the cable through the bracket on the kettle, crimp the ends together in a bit of tube, or use a brass terminal block if you want to make it removable

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
What about a stainless steel teapot ?, plenty of these in all sizes in charity shops, they work well on the fire. Or the snowpeak N01 kettle if you can find one(i have one !).

Rob

I understand your preference for SS - I use it exclusively now after many years experimenting with ally (I can taste it in boiled water) and titanium (too many hot spots and, like ally, can be a swine to clean).

Hows about a Tatonka Billy (or kettle as they bizarrely call them)

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Tatonka.html

I've got two - a 1 ltr which nests in a 1.6 ltr - they come with handles to turn the lids into great frying pans - although it depends on how many you plan to cook for - as a guide I can comfortably rustle up a full English breakfast for two using a combination of both pots and lids/ frying pans...

I've got a small stainless steel kettle from Outwell which I bought in Blacks a few years ago and it's the dogs! - unfortunately, in trying to find a link for you - it appears to have vanished from the face of the retail world! Shame because it's a great kettle...

If I was in the market for one now I might consider the GSI stainless steel kettle (Google it) - all of the links are to retailers unknown to me (unlike Lakeland above which provides a great service) so I won't provide a direct link and you'll find a huge variety in price but it looks like a nifty little kettle.

Good luck!

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Are you after something like this?

zebrapot.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE